The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe so :lol:

I haven't seen anything better than Lucic + assets. I'd love that Dallas deal suggested by SN650 but just don't see why Dallas would do it. 

LE is not getting dumped to Ottawa for a 7th - but he may be moved there (along with his 18million of cap/9 million salary) if assets like Baertsch/Goldobin are included, and a cap dump like Boedker is taken back - if Baer and Goldobin are included, perhaps a slight sweetener brings back Smith.

The Dallas rumour of a hockey trade for Cogliano or Comeau is probably a pipe-dream imo - even if it were both of them, I think it's probably still a stretch and would require something more.  If that something were a cheap Goldobin type, go for it, otherwise, I'm not sure I believe.

Vancouver has more overlap/shared potential interest with Ottawa imo - unless Dallas really believes LE has been unlucky and his deployment has dictated his production, I can't see them taking a hockey trade under the circumstances- and they aren't swimming in cap in spite of the Hanzal LTIR. 

LE may have moved his family there?  Perhaps that is underlining the belief there's a trail to Dallas.  I hope it happens - maybe JP Barry earned his big bucks here - but these franchises have never liked each other, and they are both intending to compete, so it's not an easy deal to make - and Dallas doesn't necessarily have the 'right' contract to send back (from their standpoint, imo) - Cogliano/Comeau may seem like the most likely, but I think we win that deal even if we take both of them.   Fingers crossed that happens.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

LE is not getting dumped to Ottawa for a 7th - but he may be moved there (along with his 18million of cap/9 million salary) if assets like Baertsch/Goldobin are included, and a cap dump like Boedker is taken back - if Baer and Goldobin are included, perhaps a slight sweetener brings back Smith.

The Dallas rumour of a hockey trade for Cogliano or Comeau is probably a pipe-dream imo - even if it were both of them, I think it's probably still a stretch and would require something more.  If that something were a cheap Goldobin type, go for it, otherwise, I'm not sure I believe.

Vancouver has more overlap/shared potential interest with Ottawa imo - unless Dallas really believes LE has been unlucky and his deployment has dictated his production, I can't see them taking a hockey trade under the circumstances- and they aren't swimming in cap in spite of the Hanzal LTIR. 

LE may have moved his family there?  Perhaps that is underlining the belief there's a trail to Dallas.  I hope it happens - maybe JP Barry earned his big bucks here - but these franchises have never liked each other, and they are both intending to compete, so it's not an easy deal to make - and Dallas doesn't necessarily have the 'right' contract to send back (from their standpoint, imo) - Cogliano/Comeau may seem like the most likely, but I think we win that deal even if we take both of them.   Fingers crossed that happens.

Some have suggested that Loui wouldn't fit the Ottawa "culture" but I'm not sure if you can argue that team actually has one yet. Loui, up to one interview this summer, just put his head down and went to work. Not sure why that would conflict with anyone there. I see him as a great fit there potentially as well, my concern would be Dorian wanting too many prospects tho. Loui would certainly get top 6 time in Ottawa tho which should make him happy.  

I do think Loui had a point about deployment, when you actually go and look at the numbers he was a decent producer with the Sedins and with Bo so its not like you have to guess at it if you're Dallas. And who knows, maybe Loui can be a help on their 2nd line as well. 

19 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

They would only do it if they feel Eriksson's issues are more to do with his use and deployment here in Van rather than a deterioration of his skillset. Its likely a bit of both.

Taking back two shorter term crap contracts for one costlier longer term one is a good deal for the Canucks. Even if both are waived and sent to Utica it doubles the max cap savings. And i dont know the details of Cogliano or Comeau contracts but they may be more amenable to buyouts.

yeah it would be happy days here for sure. Does Nill really see Loui as an asset? who knows. What worries me is the sweetener ask being someone like Woo instead of Goldy. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Some have suggested that Loui wouldn't fit the Ottawa "culture" but I'm not sure if you can argue that team actually has one yet. Loui, up to one interview this summer, just put his head down and went to work. Not sure why that would conflict with anyone there. I see him as a great fit there potentially as well, my concern would be Dorian wanting too many prospects tho. Loui would certainly get top 6 time in Ottawa tho which should make him happy.  

I do think Loui had a point about deployment, when you actually go and look at the numbers he was a decent producer with the Sedins and with Bo so its not like you have to guess at it if you're Dallas. And who knows, maybe Loui can be a help on their 2nd line as well. 

Yeah - I don't pay attention to crap like that - it's hyper-subjective and pretentious to assume to be able to define both Ottawa's culture intent and their perception of Erksson relative to it.

What is Ottawa's 'culture'?  You make a good point.  They've made a trail of Leafs dumps from Phaneuf to Zaitsev and we're supposed to believe that Eriksson doesn't have enough 'character' or work ethic?   Please.

If we're disqualifying proposals based on 'culture' - how the hell does Lucic fit the up-tempo, hard working, puck pressure, hard to play against model of Green/Benning et al?

Just my opinion, but if any team would be making 'culture' concessions for assets at this point, my money would be on Ottawa over Vancouver.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is the Ottawa culture.  Based on their owner and lack of commitment to their fans I actually feel sorry for Ottawa fans.  They are an embarrassment.

image.png.fb25a100565df4c4ac4e107bdf600a7b.png

You do have a point about Loui's deployment but I believe TG was trying to motivate him or make an example out of him.  Either way it's a bad situation at this point.  Now they definitely have players that have pushed Loui down the depth chart.  No looking back now.  

Edited by Borvat
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah it would be happy days here for sure. Does Nill really see Loui as an asset? who knows. What worries me is the sweetener ask being someone like Woo instead of Goldy. 

I am sure teams are asking high right now. The decision for Benning is not the same as it was for the Leafs with Marleau - YET. So for Benning the decision on how much he would be comfortable adding will really come down to what he can do with that cap space and when he feels he needs to do it. 

If Benning can add an NHL quality player that will be able to replace the sweetener in terms of overall depth for the next several years with that cap space, he should explore that possibility.

Lets say Eriksson and Woo are the package for arguments sake. If Benning can then trade a surplus forward for a prospect that could reasonably replace Woo in the organizational depth, even if he has to take back a 1 year crap contract, thats an overall win. 

Dealing Eriksson will need to be evaluated with a wider lens than just that deal itself. It will need to also factor in if the net positives to the organization when all moves are made puts the Canucks in a better spot overall. There are a lot of moving parts here.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

I am sure teams are asking high right now. The decision for Benning is not the same as it was for the Leafs with Marleau - YET. So for Benning the decision on how much he would be comfortable adding will really come down to what he can do with that cap space and when he feels he needs to do it. 

If Benning can add an NHL quality player that will be able to replace the sweetener in terms of overall depth for the next several years with that cap space, he should explore that possibility.

Lets say Eriksson and Woo are the package for arguments sake. If Benning can then trade a surplus forward for a prospect that could reasonably replace Woo in the organizational depth, even if he has to take back a 1 year crap contract, thats an overall win. 

Dealing Eriksson will need to be evaluated with a wider lens than just that deal itself. It will need to also factor in if the net positives to the organization when all moves are made puts the Canucks in a better spot overall. There are a lot of moving parts here.

yeah its a tough one for sure. I'd want to wait on Woo tho, no need to dump him with Loui just yet. Cap crunch time isn't for 3 more seasons. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Both Dorion and DJ Smith talk about how they have to change the culture.  They apparently give up too easily and work ethic was an issue.

In this interview here DJ Smith explains why he wanted Zaitsev so much.  He talks of how Zaitsev is going to help them change the culture and up the work ethic.  A bit later in the interviews he talks of how well he knows the different guys they brought in.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/dj-smith-media-availability/c-68624703

Ottawa seem to have only added players that DJ Smith knows.  It might be because of his comfort level that they will help bring the culture he wants to build.

Dreger last year was saying that hockey people are telling him that Melnyk relishes to spend no more than the floor as they aren't expected to be competitive.   If that's indeed the case you would have to remove from their roster.   Still isn't it easier to keep players they know rather than bring in an unknown given where they are at for now.

Edited by mll

47 minutes ago, mll said:

Both Dorion and DJ Smith talk about how they have to change the culture.  They apparently give up too easily and work ethic was an issue.

In this interview here DJ Smith explains why he wanted Zaitsev so much.  He talks of how Zaitsev is going to help them change the culture and up the work ethic.  A bit later in the interviews he talks of how well he knows the different guys they brought in.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/dj-smith-media-availability/c-68624703

Ottawa seem to have only added players that DJ Smith knows.  It might be because of his comfort level that they will help bring the culture he wants to build.

Dreger last year was saying that hockey people are telling him that Melnyk relishes to spend no more than the floor as they aren't expected to be competitive.   If that's indeed the case you would have to remove from their roster.   Still isn't it easier to keep players they know rather than bring in an unknown given where they are at for now.

But why would Loui conflict wth that culture idea? despite what people say on CDC the guy is a hard working smart player. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But why would Loui conflict wth that culture idea? despite what people say on CDC the guy is a hard working smart player. 

They don't really have a culture and need to build one.  Burrows a year ago talked of how he should have done more and how the room was divided.  With both Dorion and DJ Smith talking about culture, work ethic, team - not sure all their issues have been resolved.  He says they are going to do things as a team, play hard and with pace.   

DJ Smith says he is looking for players that are going to help build the culture and up the work ethic. He says he told Zaitsev he needed his help with that.  Ottawa is in rebuilding mode still and Dorion talks of the importance of developing their young players.  The veterans are there to help with that.  They seem to have only brought in players Smith knows.  If they are not expected to contend and their focus is development isn't it more convenient to stick with the veterans they know.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

They don't really have a culture and need to build one.  Burrows a year ago talked of how he should have done more and how the room was divided.  With both Dorion and DJ Smith talking about culture, work ethic, team - not sure all their issues have been resolved.  He says they are going to do things as a team, play hard and with pace.   

DJ Smith says he is looking for players that are going to help build the culture and up the work ethic. He says he told Zaitsev he needed his help with that.  Ottawa is in rebuilding mode still and Dorion talks of the importance of developing their young players.  The veterans are there to help with that.  They seem to have only brought in players Smith knows.  If they are not expected to contend and their focus is development isn't it more convenient to stick with the veterans they know.  

And once again Loui ends up in Utica. 

Just read (didn't look at the source) that apparently JP was the sweetener in the trade, but LE nixxed the trade.

I agree I would have liked to see Edmonton retain some salary, but it looks like this trade is a no-go regardless now.

Lovin LE even more now. Doesn't want to play hard for us, but doesn't want to leave either.  Guess when you got a good thing goin....

51 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Just read (didn't look at the source) that apparently JP was the sweetener in the trade, but LE nixxed the trade.

I agree I would have liked to see Edmonton retain some salary, but it looks like this trade is a no-go regardless now.

Lovin LE even more now. Doesn't want to play hard for us, but doesn't want to leave either.  Guess when you got a good thing goin....

It’s not so much that he doesn’t want to leave as much as he doesn’t want to go play in Deadmonton.

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

It’s not so much that he doesn’t want to leave as much as he doesn’t want to go play in Deadmonton.

I'm not surprised by this. nobody really wants to play in Edmonton. LOL. 

not even Lucic, and he's being paid to play there. Tells me that hockey players not only want to play, they want to win. that being said, Canucks have a good thing going - EP40, Boeser, Horvat, Quinn, these are players that other players in the league are noticing and wanting to play with eventually. 

• Cheers 1

We have a cap hit problem.  Trading LE for Lucic doesn't change that......it just adds another year to that problem knowing that there are big pay raises scheduled for our elite players.  If JB trades for a slow, older Lucic, it would be a terrible, terrible move.  Looking at this summer's moves, there's no indication to suggest Lucic is coming here.  Lucic may want to come here but we should all collectively reply "that's nice".

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

We have a cap hit problem.  Trading LE for Lucic doesn't change that......it just adds another year to that problem knowing that there are big pay raises scheduled for our elite players.  If JB trades for a slow, older Lucic, it would be a terrible, terrible move.  Looking at this summer's moves, there's no indication to suggest Lucic is coming here.  Lucic may want to come here but we should all collectively reply "that's nice".

What if Edmonton retains like 1.5 million in cap, so it saves us that amount over the 3 years of LE and "pays off" that extra year. We would still have that extra year of 4.5 million, so we would still get a sweetener, but maybe not as high. Would that be more feasible if it's simply a cap hit problem?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What if Edmonton retains like 1.5 million in cap, so it saves us that amount over the 3 years of LE and "pays off" that extra year. We would still have that extra year of 4.5 million, so we would still get a sweetener, but maybe not as high. Would that be more feasible if it's simply a cap hit problem?

"Pay off" what?  Dollars aren't the issue -- Aqualini's loaded -- it's the cap.  We can't have another dead $4.5mil eating away at it especially when the kids will be hitting their prime and starting to earn real money.  Don't want him here at 50%, it's all DEAD CAP.

Seriously, within a year (okay, months) fans are going to go wild with proposals trying to figure out how to ditch him when he's got another 3 years to go.  If we thought moving Eriksson was difficult, moving Lucic will be like moving a mountain with a plastic DQ spoon.  The Marleau trade will look brilliant in comparison to what it'll cost.  I just don't get the fascination with this whole thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Pay off" what?  Dollars aren't the issue -- Aqualini's loaded -- it's the cap.  We can't have another dead $4.5mil eating away at it especially when the kids will be hitting their prime and starting to earn real money.  Don't want him here at 50%, it's all DEAD CAP.

Seriously, within a year (okay, months) fans are going to go wild with proposals trying to figure out how to ditch him when he's got another 3 years to go.  If we thought moving Eriksson was difficult, moving Lucic will be like moving a mountain with a plastic DQ spoon.  The Marleau trade will look brilliant in comparison to what it'll cost.  I just don't get the fascination with this whole thing.

If Edmonton retains 50% and gives us an unprotected 1st, I say take Lucic for Eriksson.

• Upvote 1