The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Nobody's taking Motte's spot on the Canucks.  

Why do you and some other fans have such a hardon for hating on Lucic, one of the best players to come out of Vancouver?  

What some local fans did was despicable and I wouldn't have even entertained playing in front of those idiot fans ever again, but he did.  

Dirtbags that sprayed graffiti on his grandparents' house and his church need to be caught out here in East Van and beaten in a back alley to the tune of some binners picking through the recyclables. 

where in my post did i say i hated lucic

he is done as a hockey player

that is simply fact

he was good

he is big and slow now

cannot even play with mcdavid

but make this into something else if that suits your needs

but i have said nothing to trigger your response

you did that all on your own

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

where in my post did i say i hated lucic

he is done as a hockey player

that is simply fact

he was good

he is big and slow now

cannot even play with mcdavid

but make this into something else if that suits your needs

but i have said nothing to trigger your response

you did that all on your own

Your response was very similar to a lot of other posters' responses, where they wished ill on Lucic.  

Here, let me find one for you...  

On 5/1/2019 at 7:09 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Lucic can suck on an arcing live wire while standing in a barrel of gasoline for all I care.

Okay so it looks like 6of1 went full retard, while you didn't, but there is a surprising insecurity among some Canuck fans when it comes to Lucic.  

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Your response was very similar to a lot of other posters' responses, where they wished ill on Lucic.  

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Here, let me find one for you...  

Okay so it looks like 6of1 went full retard, while you didn't, but there is a surprising insecurity among some Canuck fans when it comes to Lucic.  

your reading comprehension is lacking

my post is nothing like the one you wish to compare it to

you are just easily triggered about this topic

don't try to project that onto me

own it yourself

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

your reading comprehension is lacking

my post is nothing like the one you wish to compare it to

you are just easily triggered about this topic

don't try to project that onto me

own it yourself

You suggested that Edmonton should suspend him for tampering in your post.  Just say you can't stand the guy instead of dancing around the issue by suggesting something so devoid of logic. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You suggested that Edmonton should suspend him for tampering in your post.  Just say you can't stand the guy instead of dancing around the issue by suggesting something so devoid of logic. 

i'm suggesting edmonton consider that

to get out of his awful contract

if loui spoke on another teams radio broadcast

indicating he was interested in playing for that other team

i'd consider getting out of his contract the same way

but continue to project your own stuff all over these boards

if you need to

Eriksson for Lucic seems fair for both sides.

His sucking up is helping me come around.  

I think you can fill Louie's role with a younger player like MacEwen maybe and let Lucic play hockey patrol.  He still has good hands for a big guy so if he has the burn to at least try and work hard he could be a good addition. 

Cap wise nothing's gonna change so why not give the team a different look?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, teepain said:

A fair deal could be

Eriksson + sutter

for

Lucic + pool party or 8th overall + mid rounder

reminder : we can always buy out Lucic after a year or 2 if he declines even harder

8th overall plus a mid rounder

For

Eriksson and Sutter??????

I thought charelli got fired?

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I think you can fill Louie's role with a younger player like MacEwen maybe and let Lucic play hockey patrol.  He still has good hands for a big guy so if he has the burn to at least try and work hard he could be a good addition. 

The only intangible lucic brings is fighting at this point, and weve seen what having a dedicated “enforcer” accomplishes when we did the gudbranson experiment. 

The dirty players still make dirty hits. The enforcer is on the bench cause he cant score or play defence. 

I thnk marchand is a more effective deterrent than an enforcer. Not only are you scared of him submarining your best players, but he can do that and then score on you next shift. 

The whole team has to be tough or its a waste of a roster slot. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Eriksson doesn’t have to be protected but Lucic does in the upcoming expansion draft. You can avoid protecting Lucic if we take the hit and buy him out after a year. Have him play one year to bring the numbers down. However I wouldn’t be looking to send Eriksson back I’d be looking for top picks and prospects coming back with Lucic.

If he waives his NMC to come here it is gone and he no longer has any protection so would be expansion eligible.  

Still not interested.

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I just read something in another thread about Loui complaining (in a Recent Swedish interview) about not being used properly under Green, and that’s why his numbers are down.  I’d trade Loui fir Big Milan for sure.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

He might be serviceable and able to provide more offence than Louie but he would have to lose 20-30 lbs.

He could still be a pretty big tough player but would move a lot better.

Still not interested unless he showed a willingness to lose some weight first and if that was the case then why would Oil trade him.  Certainly wouldn't give anything other than bad contracts for him.

MacLellan talked about Lucic wanting to lose weight but said that Lucic doesn't have any fat - it's just muscles.  He says that it's not easily feasible and that it might not necessarily make him faster as he'll be losing power.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, mll said:

MacLellan talked about Lucic wanting to lose weight but said that Lucic doesn't have any fat - it's just muscles.  He says that it's not easily feasible and that it might not necessarily make him faster as he'll be losing power.

I think if he is running around at 238 or so at his height, he is carrying too much muscle then and frankly is likely training wrong.  

Having to lose weight and having fat aren't necessarily the same thing for athletes.

Too many of these guys here the crap that EP was hearing at the beginning of the season and think they need to gain bulk to be better when what they need is strength and ideally as much strength with as little weight gain as possible.  

Too many guys come out and Brent Sopel it, Jake did it, Juolevi did it and it is the wrong strategy for the current NHL.  

When Lucic was coming up it was a different story, the NHL wasn't as fast and the momentum that came with all that weight helped him fight through the hooking and holding but the NHL has changed.  Acceleration and changes in direction is much more important now than they were 10 years ago.  There is still room for Bulls in the game they just need to be able to move.

It is much easier in sports that stress power to weight ratio to lose weight than gain significant amounts of power, especially when you are already a highly trained athlete.

22 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think if he is running around at 238 or so at his height, he is carrying too much muscle then and frankly is likely training wrong.  

Having to lose weight and having fat aren't necessarily the same thing for athletes.

Too many of these guys here the crap that EP was hearing at the beginning of the season and think they need to gain bulk to be better when what they need is strength and ideally as much strength with as little weight gain as possible.  

Too many guys come out and Brent Sopel it, Jake did it, Juolevi did it and it is the wrong strategy for the current NHL.  

When Lucic was coming up it was a different story, the NHL wasn't as fast and the momentum that came with all that weight helped him fight through the hooking and holding but the NHL has changed.  Acceleration and changes in direction is much more important now than they were 10 years ago.  There is still room for Bulls in the game they just need to be able to move.

It is much easier in sports that stress power to weight ratio to lose weight than gain significant amounts of power, especially when you are already a highly trained athlete.

Lol

I remember when Sopel went away at 190lbs at the end of the season and came back for the start of the next at 215ish, all pimply and angry looking. Small wonder what happened there. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I was just going to update my post.  I actually found that interview by McLellan where he says that Lucic doesn't have an ounce of fat (starts at the 3:30 mark).  He does say that the game has changed and players have to adapt.  He then goes into more detail about how speed is not just skating fast - it's hands, thinking fast, anticipating plays etc.  

Earlier in the interview he talks about how Nashville has no holes in their lineup - the interview is March 2018 where they were at the top of the standings.  Nashville hasn't changed their lineup from last season but are not as effective this year anymore - part is injuries but also because the teams around them have improved their speed.

What used to be an asset is now becoming the norm.  Before they could get away with some less than precise passing because they had the speed to recover and still be 1st to the puck and have time to settle it but other teams are now matching their speed.

Having skating speed is an asset but thinking fast, playing tape to tape etc are just as important.  NJD made the playoffs by outskating/outworking their opponents (Hall obviously a factor) but every team wants that kind of culture and they don't have the skills to make a difference beyond their speed.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, mll said:

I was just going to update my post.  I actually found that interview by McLellan where he says that Lucic doesn't have an ounce of fat (starts at the 3:30 mark).  He does say that the game has changed and players have to adapt.  He then goes into more detail about how speed is not just skating fast - it's hands, thinking fast, anticipating plays etc.  

Earlier in the interview he talks about how Nashville has no holes in their lineup - the interview is March 2018 where they were at the top of the standings.  Nashville hasn't changed their lineup from last season but are not as effective this year anymore - part is injuries but also because the teams around them have improved their speed.

What used to be an asset is now becoming the norm.  Before they could get away with some less than precise passing because they had the speed to recover and still be 1st to the puck and have time to settle it but other teams are now matching their speed.

Having skating speed is an asset but thinking fast, playing tape to tape etc are just as important.  NJD made the playoffs by outskating/outworking their opponents (Hall obviously a factor) but every team wants that kind of culture and they don't have the skills to make a difference beyond their speed.  

I would agree with all of that and still think I am correct for a few reasons.  Larry Murphy carved out a great career as a terrible skater but great passer.

Lucic is a blunt instrument, there is no subtlety to his game.  He is not thinking the game like EP.  His game is pretty simple:  Moose go to net. Moose go to corner.  Moose bang.

If what you need to make up for lack of foot speed and overall speed is hands, thinking fast and passing than you are not moving in the right direction by adding Lucic as he really doesn't effectively illustrate any of these things especially precision.  His lack of these things makes his lack of foot speed even more of a liability.  

He got worse every year under McLellan so obviously his strategy didn't work here. 

I think there is room for players like Lucic.   Size and toughness are absolutely valuable assets but it is no longer sustainable for players to only have those assets.

Elliotte Friedman had some interesting things to say this week in 31 Thoughts (the article, and the podcast) about another former Oiler, Pat Maroon. He said he found it interesting how Maroon thought he'd get paid last July, and there weren't offers. Then he got only a 1-year, $1.5M deal from his hometown Blues, and then before the team started to realize the playoffs were going to happen, tried shopping him, and got no interest. But now that they're in the playoffs, he has found a role on a line with Bozak and Thomas, and is playing fantastic.

The best line from one executive about Maroon: “He’s a dinosaur, but there’s no one left who knows how to play against a dinosaur.”

On the podcast, Friedman and Marek discussed further about the idea that GMs basically need 2 teams - one to get you there (the playoffs), and another to get you through. Although Maroon wasn't a great regular season player, he has definitely been a great playoff one. The episode also alluded to the possibility of Ehlers being available out of Winnipeg, because he has been the opposite.

Now Maroon is a better player than Lucic (he certainly produced more on the Oilers). But maybe, just maybe, Lucic could have some value if he went to the right team/fit. Maybe not much in the regular season, but the playoffs?

In the past, I was against the idea of Lucic in any way. But given Eriksson's recent public whining, and opponents taking liberties with Pettersson this year, I'm coming around...at least a little. I think I'd consider Eriksson for Lucic+, if the + was significant enough.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The episode also alluded to the possibility of Ehlers being available out of Winnipeg, because he has been the opposite.

Now Maroon is a better player than Lucic (he certainly produced more on the Oilers). But maybe, just maybe, Lucic could have some value if he went to the right team/fit. Maybe not much in the regular season, but the playoffs?

I really hope these two aren’t linked in a trade. While Ehlers has been underwhelming the last two playoffs, the last thing I’d want is Lucic, even at 50% reduced salary.

I’m somewhat positive his NMC, which changes to a LNMC in the 2021-2022 season, makes it that he would still need to be protected for expansion. EW!!!!

24 minutes ago, Monty said:

I really hope these two aren’t linked in a trade. While Ehlers has been underwhelming the last two playoffs, the last thing I’d want is Lucic, even at 50% reduced salary.

I’m somewhat positive his NMC, which changes to a LNMC in the 2021-2022 season, makes it that he would still need to be protected for expansion. EW!!!!

No, no link to Winnipeg at all. Ehlers just came up as someone Winnipeg might look at dealing to free up cap.

As for Lucic, the expansion draft isn't that much of an issue for Vancouver, because do they really have 7 forwards who absolutely need protecting? Who else, beyond Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, and Gaudette, is an absolute must-keep? Leivo? Baertschi and Pearson are impending UFAs. Roussell will be going on 32 the following season, so there will be diminishing returns. Lind, Gadjovich, and Jasek haven't shown much so far. Maybe Goldobin turns it around, but more likely not. Maybe MacEwen becomes valuable, but more likely not. (I don't just mean becoming decent NHL players, I mean becoming one who is so good that their selection in the expansion draft would be a significant loss.)

If anything, Vancouver's lack of expansion-eligible forward depth makes them a more likely candidate to take on a NMC forward dump, provided the sweeteners are good enough. Other teams would have to factor in potentially losing a valuable forward at the expansion draft because of having to protect Milan, but that seems unlikely for the Canucks.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1