The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

7 hours ago, mll said:

Teams looking to reach the floor have more cost effective options than Eriksson and his comments to Swedish media doesn't help either.

Detroit has Zetterberg with a ~6.1M cap hit being owed only 1M in salary but the contract is probably insured so 200K.  Vegas has Clarkson whose contract is insured - after they pay his bonus it's 200K for a 5.25M cap hit.  It's a nuisance to deal with LTIR so these teams would likely happily trade those contracts.  Chicago last off-season gave up Hinostroza to be able to move Hossa (- 7 player trade with picks involved). 

Except those teams actually need players and ice a team too, not spending money for bodies that won’t play isn’t helping them.

Eriksson at $3 million real dollars or $2.5 after next season’s bonus is paid is a good value, especially if they think there is even a chance he might become a 20 goal scorer again when he had a change of scenery.

People wanting to trade Eriksson for Lucic straight up are mad. They’re either blinded by the fact he’s a local kid or still obsessed with ‘muh truculence!’.

Loui is overpaid, but if his contract were 2 million nobody would have an issue with him. He’s a reliable defensive player, the offense just isnt what it used to be. Lucic is not an NHL calibre player anymore. He can’t keep up with the pace of the modern game. You’re basically asking to sacrifice an NHL player for a non NHL player with a worse contract because he’s a BC boy. It’s just not smart. And this isn’t even taking into account that Lucic is a scumbag and bringing him into the room is completely antithetical to the quality of character this management group is trying to assemble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

People wanting to trade Eriksson for Lucic straight up are mad. They’re either blinded by the fact he’s a local kid or still obsessed with ‘muh truculence!’.

Loui is overpaid, but if his contract were 2 million nobody would have an issue with him. He’s a reliable defensive player, the offense just isnt what it used to be. Lucic is not an NHL calibre player anymore. He can’t keep up with the pace of the modern game. You’re basically asking to sacrifice an NHL player for a non NHL player with a worse contract because he’s a BC boy. It’s just not smart. And this isn’t even taking into account that Lucic is a scumbag and bringing him into the room is completely antithetical to the quality of character this management group is trying to assemble.

I would never do a 1 for 1 unless edm made it worth our while. 

Loui was brought in to be that 30g 50-60pt player while playing a solid 2 way game. He has not lived up to his contract plain and simple. so if he is NOT producing, it is absolutely a waste of a 6m contract.

Meanwhile, Lucic can be an effective player on the PP being a net front presence, he can play up and down your line up and play the same way....finish his checks, stand up for his teammates and drive to the net for the screen, tip in or bang home a rebound.

Lucic can be more useful to our team rather than keep Eriksson. Eriksson likely will have a better impact to a team needing a 2 way guy, pair him with the right linemates and he could produce as well. Edm could benefit from having Eriksson but it is going to have to cost them an asset or some retention on Lucic's deal as he has that extra year.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Except those teams actually need players and ice a team too, not spending money for bodies that won’t play isn’t helping them.

Eriksson at $3 million real dollars or $2.5 after next season’s bonus is paid is a good value, especially if they think there is even a chance he might become a 20 goal scorer again when he had a change of scenery.

The only team that looks will be close to the floor is Ottawa because they want to play their prospects.  Also Melnyk will take every opportunity to spare money.

9 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Meanwhile, Lucic can be an effective player on the PP being a net front presence, he can play up and down your line up and play the same way....finish his checks, stand up for his teammates and drive to the net for the screen, tip in or bang home a rebound.

No he can't. He's slow as molasses and a liability out there. He's worse than Eriksson offensively and he may "hit" people, but 10 seconds after the play has ended when he finally catches them. If he can't produce with McDavid and Draisaitl why on earth would he suddenly be able to here? Loui creates more offense than he does, as little as that may be. There are plenty of guys out there who can bring truculence, you don't dress them if they bring nothing else to the table. On top of this he has a worse contract and is a douche. There is absolutely zero upside to having him here over Eriksson. They would have to sweeten the pot considerably in order to make that trade, and even then having a guy like Milan goes completely against the culture this team is trying to build.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I would never do a 1 for 1 unless edm made it worth our while. 

Loui was brought in to be that 30g 50-60pt player while playing a solid 2 way game. He has not lived up to his contract plain and simple. so if he is NOT producing, it is absolutely a waste of a 6m contract.

So he's lived up to the defensive side of his contract. The poster you responded to said if Loui was being paid 2 million a year then no one would complain. No one has said Loui is worth his contract, so you're just preaching to the choir here, but the point is Loui has an effective role despite not putting up the offensive numbers expected of him. A budget team would be basically taking him on at a 3 million dollar a year salary while utilizing 6 million of cap space after July 1st, so that would make him quite an attractive player to some teams given that at worse he has a strong defensive presence and hopefully can rekindle some offense. With that said, we have no worries about cap space for the next couple of seasons, so we also shouldn't be in a rush to dump him especially if it costs us assets to move on from him. The only thing we could use is his roster spot right now.

If Lucic was effective in any of this, he wouldn't be considered one of the worst contracts in the league. He would be much more valuable to Edmonton, but he simply isn't.

Lucic can be more useful to our team rather than keep Eriksson. Eriksson likely will have a better impact to a team needing a 2 way guy, pair him with the right linemates and he could produce as well. Edm could benefit from having Eriksson but it is going to have to cost them an asset or some retention on Lucic's deal as he has that extra year.

As mentioned above, Lucic is worth no more to his contract that. Loui is to us and he has an extra year to boot. Edmonton would desperately want to move him not just because of him not being worth his contract but they would have to protect him in the expansion draft as well. It will cost a king's ransom for them to move him and Lucic has full power on where he wants to go if that is the case and any team taking him on will have to get him to agree to waive his NMC completely.

The idea of a Lucic is something we could use, but Lucic himself is not the guy. I would rather target a Kyle Clifford or Zack Smith to provide the same role without all the baggage (attitude and contract). I'd only listen if they are packaging the 8th and Puljujarvi and take on one of our lesser needed expensive contracts.

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2019 at 11:23 PM, theo5789 said:

So he's lived up to the defensive side of his contract. The poster you responded to said if Loui was being paid 2 million a year then no one would complain. No one has said Loui is worth his contract, so you're just preaching to the choir here, but the point is Loui has an effective role despite not putting up the offensive numbers expected of him. A budget team would be basically taking him on at a 3 million dollar a year salary while utilizing 6 million of cap space after July 1st, so that would make him quite an attractive player to some teams given that at worse he has a strong defensive presence and hopefully can rekindle some offense. With that said, we have no worries about cap space for the next couple of seasons, so we also shouldn't be in a rush to dump him especially if it costs us assets to move on from him. The only thing we could use is his roster spot right now.

If Lucic was effective in any of this, he wouldn't be considered one of the worst contracts in the league. He would be much more valuable to Edmonton, but he simply isn't.

As mentioned above, Lucic is worth no more to his contract that. Loui is to us and he has an extra year to boot. Edmonton would desperately want to move him not just because of him not being worth his contract but they would have to protect him in the expansion draft as well. It will cost a king's ransom for them to move him and Lucic has full power on where he wants to go if that is the case and any team taking him on will have to get him to agree to waive his NMC completely.

The idea of a Lucic is something we could use, but Lucic himself is not the guy. I would rather target a Kyle Clifford or Zack Smith to provide the same role without all the baggage (attitude and contract). I'd only listen if they are packaging the 8th and Puljujarvi and take on one of our lesser needed expensive contracts.

Bring back Zack Kassian I say. 

• Upvote 2

Forget Lucic - there's probably a better way to move Eriksson - if that's such an imperative (for me it's about 3 million of 'dead cap' - as he's performing, he's probably worth half his cap hit - in the scheme of things, I'm not sure it's that tight of a concern at this stage).

Send him to Dead Cap Island - where his contract can follow in the foosteps of others like Bolland and Datsyuk

To Arizona:

LE

10th overall

To Vancouver

14th overall

Arizona 2nd 19

(look familiar?)

And then send Schaller to the Coil for Kassian :ph34r:

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Forget Lucic - there's probably a better way to move Eriksson - if that's such an imperative (for me it's about 3 million of 'dead cap' - as he's performing, he's probably worth half his cap hit - in the scheme of things, I'm not sure it's that tight of a concern at this stage).

Send him to Dead Cap Island - where his contract can follow in the foosteps of others like Bolland and Datsyuk

To Arizona:

LE

10th overall

To Vancouver

14th overall

Arizona 2nd 19

(look familiar?)

And then send Schaller to the Coil for Kassian :ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r:

On 5/5/2019 at 12:23 AM, theo5789 said:

I have mentioned this exact point before - not only is he an ineffective player in the new NHL but he eats up a roster spot in the expansion draft. I think Loui may be attractive to Seattle as an asset to reach the salary floor. As other have said Loui is not worth 6 million but he is still worth more than Lucic any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I have mentioned this exact point before - not only is he an ineffective player in the new NHL but he eats up a roster spot in the expansion draft. I think Loui may be attractive to Seattle as an asset to reach the salary floor. As other have said Loui is not worth 6 million but he is still worth more than Lucic any day of the week.

If it's anything like the Vegas draft, I don't think they'll have a problem filling out their cap and not with a guy who will be 35 at that point. They will want to get the best players they can from each team. I think we will have better assets that they would be attracted to, but the main thing is we do not have to protect Loui, nor any other team that could be taking him on. Lucic has the option to pick which team he wants to go and can keep his NMC unless mutually agreed upon that he would take it off his contract. So yes Louis's value isn't great, but Lucic is far worse given the circumstances.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2019 at 11:26 AM, Bitter Melon said:

People that would rather have Lucic over Eriksson don't wants Lucic because he's a local guy, they want him because of his ability to put knuckles through skulls and bodies through boards. That's it. If he can be a net front presense on the 2nd PP unit and chip in with the odd goal, that's a bonus. Eriksson is easily replaceable through trade, free agency, internally (MacEwen?). What Lucic brings to the table is 100x harder to find. Obviously a trade would need to be worked in our favour, as the extra year and extra money owed to Lucic is significant. But Lucic and a decent sweetener, I think I take that deal. Then hopefully Lucic can teach Virtanen some of that nastiness on the ice.

Edit: just realized Lucic has to be protected in the expansion draft. You really can't take on that contract if that's the case. Lucic would have to agree to waive his NMC for the purpose of the expansion draft. 

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:39 PM, Bitter Melon said:

No he can't. He's slow as molasses and a liability out there. He's worse than Eriksson offensively and he may "hit" people, but 10 seconds after the play has ended when he finally catches them. If he can't produce with McDavid and Draisaitl why on earth would he suddenly be able to here? Loui creates more offense than he does, as little as that may be. There are plenty of guys out there who can bring truculence, you don't dress them if they bring nothing else to the table. On top of this he has a worse contract and is a douche. There is absolutely zero upside to having him here over Eriksson. They would have to sweeten the pot considerably in order to make that trade, and even then having a guy like Milan goes completely against the culture this team is trying to build.

erik-gudbranson.jpg

On 5/4/2019 at 11:26 AM, Bitter Melon said:

I would argue that both players can’t keep up to the game anymore.....   LE to a lesser extent, but he can’t defend against fast players anymore 

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Bring back Zack Kassian I say. 

Probably the most rational thing said in this thread. Not as sexy a move but this is probably the best course. If not Kassian, someone similar in salary with a short term contract and a guy that can play a regular shift. If we can get another Roussel type I'd be stoked. But ideally someone more physically intimidating. 

• Upvote 1

Ericksson plays on the penalty kill quite well, lucic can't even skate  , where the heck would he fit in on our team, he wouldn't, it would be the worst mistake and would hurt our young players big time

53 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Ericksson plays on the penalty kill quite well, lucic can't even skate  , where the heck would he fit in on our team, he wouldn't, it would be the worst mistake and would hurt our young players big time

I think the biggest knock with Eriksson is he doesn't have drive. Not that I'm saying Lucic would be any better as Lucic doesn't really have drive either.

Would it be the worst mistake trading? I mean both kind of just seem to look to get a paycheck. Eriksson's better on the penalty kill as you said while Lucic (during his good years at least) can have more grit if he chooses to use that grit. Perhaps the main reason for the trade would be try and ignite something inside of them: a change of scenery: the usual reasons to trade a struggling player.

That being said, trade or no trade, I really don't see how either way would harm our team as you imply. If a trade happened, I don't think it would harm our kids. There are enough good leadership type players on this team now (even inside of our youth) to counteract whatever Lucic might do in the locker room. Instead, I think it would kind of just be.... a trade of paychecks, and that's about it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1