The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (A2) Boston Bruins vs. (C3) St. Louis Blues | Blues win 2019 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Final  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/2019 at 12:00 AM

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Once again, watching the Blues celebrate yesterday was awesome. I get the sense that they were really in it for each other and once they weathered the first period onslaught from Boston (and Binnington played his balls off) they regained focus and dominated the Bruins physically and on the scoreboard.

These guys showed immense character and class after the game ended, O'Reilly with his parents, Parayko with Laila, and on and on. It's great to see a team that is truly unified, with a roster of hard-working, honest players getting it done and being rewarded.

Today's a great day for hockey.

Parayko with Laila was a great moment for sure! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No you are misunderstanding what I am saying.  We LOST to Boston in game 7 of the final, so to ridicule them for doing the same thing is kinda stupid.  Especially when they actually won the Cup against us when we've never actually won the Cup.  Now another team has won a Cup for the first time so we are on the short list of teams that have never won, which is actually quite depressing. 

I understand the hate on Marchand, I couldn't give a crap about him either way, but for Canucks fans to laugh at Boston for blowing a game 7 at home is kinda laughable to me since we have never won a Cup and lost twice in the finals in game 7.  That's all I'm saying.  But if you and the others wanna go ahead and get your kicks out of another team losing game 7 go for it, I don't really care one way or another.  

F7834157-6DB5-4381-AD19-D61660E8AD8F.jpeg

F4C0ABE2-AAC9-40B3-BD09-6B1573F8BDEA.jpeg

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Frig. Another opinion with hindsight GMing? I could GM the Canucks to a cup if I could use the hindsite judgement you have continually suggested. JB is doing just fine with the hands he has been dealt. Mistakes, yes. But way more good than bad. Really though, it is just not possible to evaluate so many of his moves when none of us have any idea what options were presented to him. Prospect pool is amongst the best. Cap room, first round and all his picks this year. Stud goalie(s) in the system. I'm simply tired of fans that grade JB on hindsight. 

I know. Give benning time to make his team. Its taken this long to fix the mistakes given to him by the prior regime. 

In this day and age, drafting is paramount. Let the man do his thing. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I know. Give benning time to make his team. Its taken this long to fix the mistakes given to him by the prior regime. 

In this day and age, drafting is paramount. Let the man do his thing. 

JB is doing great, but keeping draft picks at the start of the rebuild would mean we have more depth in our prospects.

I don’t know if I would say trading picks away early on was JB’s idea, or Aquilini pushing for the retool around the Twins.  I agree with you though, that JB has done great considering the circumstances.  

4 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I don’t know about anyone else here but I cheered against them, yes because I hate them, but I also cheered against them for the sake of the sport.

Chicago was once our bitter rival and despite some missed calls here and there that bit us, they were full credit for stomping us in the playoffs, which is why I never cheered against them during any of their finals. They are a flat out amazing team. Toews is Mr Clutch and Kane is all world skill. Keith a Noris trophy guy in his prime. Seabrook, Hossa, Bolland. I would love the Canucks to look like them one day despite my hate for them.

As for Boston, I truly feel that they did not deserve the cup in 2011. Yes, it takes luck to win a cup and yes some of this might be just sour grapes but I truly believe that their team was nothing special. Fast forward to today and again I feel the same way. Chara is 42, Mcavoy is raw, same age as Juolevi in fact and he hasn’t made the NHL yet, and Krug is more adventurous than Edler with a full green light to pinch anytime he wants. They are also effectively a 1 line team with guys like Coyle and a really old Kreci acting as the 2nd line. Now, if they somehow managed to win two cups with two not so great teams in the span of 10 years. What would that say about the sport? It would say series should be best out of 9 instead of 7 basically.

I would say the same thing if Carolina won shortly after their cup. Or if Tampa won another one they didn’t deserve because everyone knows Calgary had that final in 6 from a obviously good Gelinas goal. 

And like Philip Blunt said, despite me never agreeing with him, the best example of sportsmanship and team play won and that’s great for the sport and the NHL. On the other hand, Boston would be the opposite of great with their connections with the NHL board of governors that give them obvious leeway in a lot of areas like Scheduling, suspensions,  and Officiating. It would have been a huge black eye for this sport if they won. Now, they didn’t get caught red handed like the Patriots but they are about as close to getting caught as you can get without getting caught.

This is the best post you have made here in CDC imo. I can’t disagree with anything you said. Cheers.

Happy for the Blues win, it's always hard seeing another team win a first cup before Vancouver, but hey better than seeing Boston win again. My Dad's friend has been a Blues fan since they came into the league, and he's the happiest I've ever seen him, so can't be upset about that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This will be Bo Horvat in the future.

Yes I remember when he was being drafted that what he was being compared to. Let's just hope there's a good enough team around him to to do what O'Reilly did this season.

My thoughts on the SCF:

Seeing long droughts end gives me hope that ours can end soon as well. I don't see this as a negative at all. Vancouver's time will come, I just hope it comes soon enough for some our older fans who have waited decades. 

I am not someone who takes any pleasure at seeing people's dreams get crushed especially with the effort that it takes to get to this point in the season but seeing Marchand crying was cathartic. I have never been able to muster up enough energy to hate the rat but I did detest him for his antics the year after. I can forgive much of anything if it is done in the interest of winning but the rat's taunting and antics afterwards were disrespectful, immature and above all else unnecessary. You are the WINNER, its never hard to show class when you have won. Not every troll gets his comeuppance but I think it felt that way when he skated off and the Blues scored.

Edited by Toews
  • Thanks 3

yeah I don't know why this bothers any one. the blues have paid their dues. it bothered me to see new jersey and Carolina and the ducks raise the cup as newer teams but this doesn't. and especially the way it played out it delivered some of the best entertainment value in a final I've seen in a while. 

Edited by nucklehead
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

One of my favourite aspects of the cup final and the winning of it is the family moments we get a glimpse of or hear a bit about.  

There is some crazy stuff happening in today’s world.  Sports is an escape.  Seeing families share such an accomplishment together and seeing families happy together is great to watch.

i wish all the best for cdc and it’s family members for the summer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1