The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Nikita Zaitsev

So cute Toronto trying to boost trade value for their cap dump contracts. Gee I remember back when we were trying to find a suitor for Luongo and Dreger did his best to devalue Luo so that his Cousin Dave Nonis wouldn’t have to give up as much. Not buying what your “trying” to sell TO and you media minions. Anybody remember this clip? Skip to 2:23. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot eh Dregs?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would certainly do that and a Toronto might too once they realize the actual value of Zaitsev (with his contract) is close to zero.

I think maybe leafs want a bit more..

Maybe they do it if we take their 3rd instead of 2nd.

But something in that framework..maybe eat a mill on Tanev's contract as well. 

Tanev + 2nd (40th)

Zaitsev Kapanen + 3rd (84th)

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think maybe leafs want a bit more..

Maybe they do it if we take their 3rd instead of 2nd.

But something in that framework..maybe eat a mill on Tanev's contract as well. 

Tanev + 2nd (40th)

Zaitsev Kapanen + 3rd (84th)

Zaitsev is a decent age on a decent contract if he gets 30-35 point each year.  Certainly possible and could be a big add.  Really wish there was 2-3 years left on the contact and not 5.

i really want to add a top 4 d under 25 this year even at a high cost.  Still set on Ristolainen so adding him and Zaitsev would be an improvement.  This is not bad going into next year:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Zaitsev

Stetcher

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Zaitsev is a decent age on a decent contract if he gets 30-35 point each year.  Certainly possible and could be a big add.  Really wish there was 2-3 years left on the contact and not 5.

i really want to add a top 4 d under 25 this year even at a high cost.  Still set on Ristolainen so adding him and Zaitsev would be an improvement.  This is not bad going into next year:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Zaitsev

Stetcher

That is a big if. If we are taking a huge risk that he doesn't improve we better be getting something of significant value to take what at this point is a bad contract. Were teams lining up to take Gudbranson last year? It basically took the pens being desperate for a dman and still we traded for a similar contract and player who wasn't working out that well for the pens.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, babalu said:

That is a big if. If we are taking a huge risk that he doesn't improve we better be getting something of significant value to take what at this point is a bad contract. Were teams lining up to take Gudbranson last year? It basically took the pens being desperate for a dman and still we traded for a similar contract and player who wasn't working out that well for the pens.

It’s a good point and Toronto likely needs to sweeten it to make it work.  We’ll see where it all goes.

Honestly I would be more interested in Colin Miller from Vegas who has less salary (3.85 cap hit) and term (3 more years) and is also a right shot defenseman. Vegas is in more cap hell then the Leafs are with a new GM who has to clean up George McPhees mess. Add in that Vegas still has a few extra 2nds and 3rds and that makes them a more compelling trade route then Mr. Zaitsev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

He may not be a the top of Benning’s priority list, but Zaitsev is on it

TSN: Darren Dreger said the Toronto Maple Leafs are still looking at the option of trading defenseman Nikita Zaitsev, and some teams have done some tire-kicking.

“There’s been some interest from the Vancouver Canucks, but general manager Jim Benning has a priority list. He has a lot of work to do and he wants to get it done between now and the draft. Nikita Zaitsev is on his interests list, but he might be option three or four.”

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
He may not be a the top of Benning’s priority list, but Zaitsev is on it

TSN: Darren Dreger said the Toronto Maple Leafs are still looking at the option of trading defenseman Nikita Zaitsev, and some teams have done some tire-kicking.

“There’s been some interest from the Vancouver Canucks, but general manager Jim Benning has a priority list. He has a lot of work to do and he wants to get it done between now and the draft. Nikita Zaitsev is on his interests list, but he might be option three or four.”

thats good news, if true. I'm sure Dubas will try to move Zaitsav with as little pain as possible but Jim's clearly not panicking to re-stock the right side with this guy. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you know maybe if the Oilers are interested in Zaitsav, we shouldn't get in the way of that.... just a thought. 

They've had a hard enough time as it is. No reason to be the fly in their ointment. Let the Oilers have this one thing :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Something around Zaitsev for Tanev is a no brainer for both teams IMHO. The debate for me is what gets added from the Leafs end. Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen. We add Goldy if needed. Or we keep Goldy and take Marleau if needed. I think it makes a lot of sense. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

They've had a hard enough time as it is. No reason to be the fly in their ointment. Let the Oilers have this one thing :rolleyes:

I can't see where to Coilers can fit Zait under the cap. Maybe Russell going back? Russell is a great shot blocker and the may fit a Leafs need?

37 minutes ago, rekker said:

Something around Zaitsev for Tanev is a no brainer for both teams IMHO. The debate for me is what gets added from the Leafs end. Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen. We add Goldy if needed. Or we keep Goldy and take Marleau if needed. I think it makes a lot of sense. 

The only way this deal makes sense to me is if we get Kapanen out of it as well.