The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I don't think we can afford not to sign him at this point.

If we can get an established Dman with that size without giving up assets, we kinda have to do it.

Agreed

16 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Does anyone know if players can now sign pre-contracts during interview period?? Just getting a bit excited to get hear announcements before July 1.

They actually aren’t supposed to talk term and money but they all do

you'll hear lots of rumours and some “most likely” will sign with “so and so” team this week 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Does anyone know if players can now sign pre-contracts during interview period?? Just getting a bit excited to get hear announcements before July 1.

I could be wrong but I think you can only discuss your offer before July 1. Any formal contracts would have to be tabled after July 1 I believe. 

• Upvote 1

Not really thrilled about JB signing either of these guys, but Meyers is more likely because he is what the team needs most..an RD.  I would much rather he trys to help out with Vegas' cap hit and takes Colin Miller off their handsB)

Say they take the Clarkson contract ($5.25 X 1 IR) + Miller 3.875 x 3 (I know - doesn't that feel better than Gard or Meyers already)::D and one of the prospects still on elc or unsigned.  Brisbois?  Lockwood? 

Vegas gets the prospect  + around 9M cap space.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Not really thrilled about JB signing either of these guys, but Meyers is more likely because he is what the team needs most..an RD.  I would much rather he trys to help out with Vegas' cap hit and takes Colin Miller off their handsB)

Say they take the Clarkson contract ($5.25 X 1 IR) + Miller 3.875 x 3 (I know - doesn't that feel better than Gard or Meyers already)::D and one of the prospects still on elc or unsigned.  Brisbois?  Lockwood? 

Vegas gets the prospect  + around 9M cap space.

Colin Miller is good but not that great for us to take on a dead contract to help them with their cap space!!

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Admittedly I want Stralman over both Myers and Gardiner

Same, or any shorter-term placeholder versus these guys with warts considering the big and long-term money they're going to get. 

On the left we have Juolevi on deck and decent fill-ins in Sautner and Brisebois plus a likely return of Tryamkin next year, and on the right side Rafferty and Woo look like they could be ready within a year or two.  Schenn is okay but should not be a regular unless he has somehow rejuvenated his game.  Miller would be okay with 3 years left, but prefer no longer.  Just do not want to see us sign another left-sider for long term as that will really jam up the works, even if we get Hughes/Tryamkin to play the other side.  Maybe we just wait out the year and/or see what shakes down with Risto/Barrie.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Same, or any shorter-term placeholder versus these guys with warts considering the big and long-term money they're going to get. 

On the left we have Juolevi on deck and decent fill-ins in Sautner and Brisebois plus a likely return of Tryamkin next year, and on the right side Rafferty and Woo look like they could be ready within a year or two.  Schenn is okay but should not be a regular unless he has somehow rejuvenated his game.  Miller would be okay with 3 years left, but prefer no longer.  Just do not want to see us sign another left-sider for long term as that will really jam up the works, even if we get Hughes/Tryamkin to play the other side.  Maybe we just wait out the year and/or see what shakes down with Risto/Barrie.

Mhmm, that's exactly where I'm at. Even Karlsson at term scared me a bit but San Jose made that decision for everyone. 

I'm not sold on throwing term at Myers or Gardiner, they're both going to want it and I'm not sure that's a great idea. Shorter term contracts in the 2-4 year range as opposed to 6-7 are definitely my preference. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Miller is a terrific RD.  He's a physical dman that puts up great #s, who has 3 more years x $3.75M.  He's far less $ than Gardiner or Meyers and won't tie the team down for years to come.

Wouldn't you take that for 1 year of Clarkson on IR? 

Such an easy way to take care of the teams RD gap.  Vancouver will not find a better situation on the UFA market.

Would think that kind of relief would come at a pretty nice price, although they can still play around with LTIR on Clarkson.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Miller is a terrific RD.  He's a physical dman that puts up great #s, who has 3 more years x $3.75M.  He's far less $ than Gardiner or Meyers and won't tie the team down for years to come.

Wouldn't you take that for 1 year of Clarkson on IR? 

Such an easy way to take care of the teams RD gap.  Vancouver will not find a better situation on the UFA market.

OK... let's say you're right... Miller got the skill set to be our #1 RD over Myers... do we still have cap room to accommodate JT Miller, Colin Miller, Clakskn, Boeser's new big contract, another good D-man via free agency? 

We'll have the same problem like Tampa/Vegas desperately trying to dump Sutter and Eriksson. No?

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

OK... let's say you're right... Miller got the skill set to be our #1 RD over Myers... do we still have cap room to accommodate JT Miller, Colin Miller, Clakskn, Boeser's new big contract, another good D-man via free agency? 

We'll have the same problem like Tampa/Vegas desperately trying to dump Sutter and Eriksson. No?

No.

Boeser contract does not start till next year. Clarkson cap dump is just for this year.

We would need to trade Sutter and Eriksson though which should be doable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No.

Boeser contract does not start till next year. Clarkson cap dump is just for this year.

We would need to trade Sutter and Eriksson though which should be doable.

Just checked, $17M+ cap space...  incl. $5M to JT,  $7M+ to Boeser (yes! He's RFA now!!), $7M to Myers (most likely to happen).... and if Luongo retires, $3M penalty on us... and we are done!

Unless.... we somehow dump Tanev ($4M), Sutter ($4M), Baertschi ($3.5M) by handing out draft picks and prospects in order to get more help for both forwards and defense! 

Well whatever JB does, he needs to improve the D.  Going into the next season with the same D won't cut it.  I'm betting Hughes will win us a few games.  Not having Pouliot will win us a few games.  Still need a top 4 D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think whether I like either Myers or Gardiner signing in Van would come down to term and dollars. Despite their deficiencies, either would be an upgrade and fill a hole effectively. But July 1 (aka crazy GM day) frightens me a bit. 

Still JB has to upgrade this defense in terms of puck moving ability, offensive awareness and skill, and power play effectiveness. That creates a chain reaction that makes the forwards more effective too. 

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Just checked, $17M+ cap space...  incl. $5M to JT,  $7M+ to Boeser (yes! He's RFA now!!), $7M to Myers (most likely to happen).... and if Luongo retires, $3M penalty on us... and we are done!

Unless.... we somehow dump Tanev ($4M), Sutter ($4M), Baertschi ($3.5M) by handing out draft picks and prospects in order to get more help for both forwards and defense! 

I honestly don't think any of those contracts will have to be added to to get rid of them. None of them are high value but we could most likely unload them for a low pick or prospect.

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I was actually playing around with this type of thing. Assuming the Cap is 81.5m this year:

Canucks have 17.7m in cap space.

Boeser (7-8m), Clarkson (5.25m) and Miller (3.875m)

with those contracts the total becomes to 2m in cap space left with a 22 man roster. Of Course thats 6 dmen, 2 goalies and 1 bazillion forwards but it does fit lol.

From there we can do a few more things:

Buyout Spooner which saves 2m in cap this year (but costs 2m next year). Freeing 2 more million would likely allow us to resign a player like Hutton for 3.5m.

find a trade for Sutter, even if we retain 1-1.5m we free up around 2-3m in cap which is a decent amount to sign some of the fillers like a Goldobin, Leivo, or Schenn

If we find a trade for tanev perhaps we can use that 4.45m in space to sign a Myers for maybe 6-7m. Roster could get interesting.

Cap friendly jot down of the roster.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1249205

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Brock Boeser ($8,000,000) - Jake Virtanen ($1,250,000) - Antoine Roussel ($3,000,000) - Loui Eriksson ($6,000,000) - Tyler Motte ($1,000,000)
Centre: Elias Pettersson ($925,000) - Bo Horvat ($5,500,000) - Adam Gaudette ($916,666) - Jay Beagle ($3,000,000)
Left wing: J.T. Miller ($5,250,000) - Tanner Pearson ($3,750,000) - Sven Baertschi ($3,366,666) - Nikolay Goldobin ($1,250,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Colin Miller ($3,875,000) - Tyler Myers ($7,000,000) - Troy Stecher ($2,325,000) - Alex Biega ($825,000)
Left: Alexander Edler ($6,000,000) - Quintin Hughes ($916,666) - Ben Hutton ($3,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jacob Markström ($3,666,667) - Thatcher Demko ($1,050,000)

AHL BURIED (1)

Tim Schaller ($825,000)

BUYOUTS (1)
Ryan Spooner ($1,033,333)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (2)
Brandon Sutter ($1,000,000) - Roberto Luongo ($800,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,274,998
Cap Space: $225,002

The idea on a Sutter and Tanev trades would be to put a condition based on games played or perhaps stipulation if resigns type of thing. Thinking Trotz in NYI would love a Sutter and they have cap to spend. NJD got PK and are looking pretty decent with Hughes / Hall / Butcher / Subban / Hischier so thinking they may like a Tanev to perhaps help the defensive minutes around Subban.

A big thing to also note is that 225k in free space is scary but with Clarkson moving to LTIR that frees up the 5m for flexibility throughout the season and that 5m also clears out next year.

Also if Ottawa is looking for cap floor help maybe that 6m for Erickson can be shipped out for a 3rd round pick in consideration that we are getting potential 2nds or 3rds with the conditional Sutter and Tanev trades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, goblix said:

I was actually playing around with this type of thing. Assuming the Cap is 81.5m this year:

Canucks have 17.7m in cap space.

Boeser (7-8m), Clarkson (5.25m) and Miller (3.875m)

with those contracts the total becomes to 2m in cap space left with a 22 man roster. Of Course thats 6 dmen, 2 goalies and 1 bazillion forwards but it does fit lol.

From there we can do a few more things:

Buyout Spooner which saves 2m in cap this year (but costs 2m next year). Freeing 2 more million would likely allow us to resign a player like Hutton for 3.5m.

find a trade for Sutter, even if we retain 1-1.5m we free up around 2-3m in cap which is a decent amount to sign some of the fillers like a Goldobin, Leivo, or Schenn

If we find a trade for tanev perhaps we can use that 4.45m in space to sign a Myers for maybe 6-7m. Roster could get interesting.

Cap friendly jot down of the roster.

The idea on a Sutter and Tanev trades would be to put a condition based on games played or perhaps stipulation if resigns type of thing. Thinking Trotz in NYI would love a Sutter and they have cap to spend. NJD got PK and are looking pretty decent with Hughes / Hall / Butcher / Subban / Hischier so thinking they may like a Tanev to perhaps help the defensive minutes around Subban.

A big thing to also note is that 225k in free space is scary but with Clarkson moving to LTIR that frees up the 5m for flexibility throughout the season and that 5m also clears out next year.

Also if Ottawa is looking for cap floor help maybe that 6m for Erickson can be shipped out for a 3rd round pick in consideration that we are getting potential 2nds or 3rds with the conditional Sutter and Tanev trades.

Nice job, Goblix

There are rumours going around that Hutton's camp is looking around the +4m range, which is ridiculous.  Probabley settle around 3.5m like you have suggested.  I see Juolevi filling Hutton's role by next season, so Ben's contract shouldn't have too much term.  Another option would be to go with Jordie Benn (+1.5m x 2yrs), who would be a very stable bottom 6 guy at little expense.  BC boy with some size.  In his 2nd year, Juolevi takes his job and Benn becomes the #7 guy.  Tryamkin may be coming over  when his contract is done as well.

Still not thrilled about signing Meyers; mostly due to the probable long term and possible restrictive contract.  Although it appears that the team has done a good job of staggering the current contracts, they would also provide room for re-upping Millers contract.

Edler    Miller

Hughes Meyers

Benn  Stecher

Biega Rafferty

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Nice job, Goblix

There are rumours going around that Hutton's camp is looking around the +4m range, which is ridiculous.  Probabley settle around 3.5m like you have suggested.  I see Juolevi filling Hutton's role by next season, so Ben's contract shouldn't have too much term.  Another option would be to go with Jordie Benn (+1.5m x 2yrs), who would be a very stable bottom 6 guy at little expense.  BC boy with some size.  In his 2nd year, Juolevi takes his job and Benn becomes the #7 guy.  Tryamkin may be coming over  when his contract is done as well.

Still not thrilled about signing Meyers; mostly due to the probable long term and possible restrictive contract.  Although it appears that the team has done a good job of staggering the current contracts, they would also provide room for re-upping Millers contract.

Edler    Miller

Hughes Meyers

Benn  Stecher

Biega Rafferty

I go to arbitration or whatever and give Hutton one year. If Tryamkin comes back next year Hutton then becomes expendable.