The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

HerrDrFunk

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Eriksson needs to go, but not for Lucic, maybe the Canucks retain 50% of Eriksson's contract.

I think Pettersson and Nylander would be great together. Maybe some here feel Baertschi on his wing will be just fine? I don't agree with that, and think they need to get Pettersson a better LW. He's on the top line for crying out loud. Maybe Jake will be his winger one day? lol Okay, no he won't. Virtanen doesn't have "the gift" of processing game at a high level. 

I think some people overvalue Tanev. He constantly puts himself in harm's way every time he blocks a shot, and sometimes he doesn't eve need to. Injuries have forced him to miss half a season every year. And he provides no offence. Smart player, except when he tries to block a shot he doesn't need to. He's not helping the Canucks from the IR.

Petey with Nylander scares me as a top line in a playoff series, and not in a good way. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tanev (29) - over last 3 season has missed 96 games

Zaitsev (27) - over last 3 seasons has missed 22 games

Virtanen (22) - In 210 games (32 goals 27 assists = 59 points)

Nylander (23) - In 239 games (55 goals 107 assists = 162 points)

Marleau's only got one year left. He would provide skill and a veteran presence for Pettersson's line this year.

Seriously, how will this trade help TOR? It won't. Tanev will probably only play 40 games and Jake might be a healthy scratch on more than one occasion. Sure, Jake might improve and become a good NHLer, but I don't ever see him reaching Nylander's ceiling.

Buddy, I live in TO so I watch the leafs ALOT. Nylander disappears in the playoffs, hides, won't take hits, doesn't forecheck hard, and gets perimeter points by playing with Matthews and on a stacked PP. Jake will be alot more valuable when we NEED him. Nylander is a great reg season player and got paid for it. We need players like Jake more than players like Nylander come playoff time. If Jake can be as effective as Tom Wilson and he can be (he actually has more talent than Wilson) that's alot more valuable than Swedish Playoff Houdini

1 hour ago, groovy said:

Slightly different "toughness" element. Reaves is probably top 3 tough guy in the league (and soon to be extinct). Jake has withered on the vine after his big hit junior video collection IMO. Is he really a "power foward" or just a bigger body who plays soft? Jake can skate and may produce 20 goals if he raises his low water mark night to night, but I really don`t see power forward in his game to compare him to Reaves`old-school toughness. My 2 cents.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if he can throw in an opportunistic hit here and there. I am ok with that. He doesn't have to be Bertuzzi

23 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Petey with Nylander scares me as a top line in a playoff series, and not in a good way. 

I guess it depends on who the other winger is? I don't see it being much different than having the Sedins on the top line. Two skilled Swedes who don't drop the gloves. Maybe if Pettersson and Nylander found a Burr.   

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I was surprised RE his Eriksson comments. Both in that he hasn't talked to him yet, and is telling the media he will. We'll see if anything comes of it, if Eriksson really believes he's better suited elsewhere maybe we can avoid the signing bonus and mutually terminate. One can hope. 

Writing is on the wall, LE knew the chain of events he would set off by his comments. 

Also, not going to lie, the Tryamkin comments have me somewhat moist.

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I guess it depends on who the other winger is? I don't see it being much different than having the Sedins on the top line. Two skilled Swedes who don't drop the gloves. Maybe if Pettersson and Nylander found a Burr.   

It has nothing to do with dropping the gloves. The Sedins were actually tough as nails. Plus, they were durable as hell. Petey is an incredible talent but thus far he is fragile and his body has a long way to go to withstand the rigors of a regular season, let alone a playoff series. I cringe everytime he takes a hit to make a play. The Canucks already have Boeser as the finisher on that line. Nylander is a perimeter player and is tentative to go to the dirty areas. Look no further than his last 2 playoff series performances. The Canucks need somebody to create space for Petey and Boeser.

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

As much as virtanen is a disappointment as a 6 OA I feel like we should keep him. He is a perfect third liner who can play a strong north south game that we need. Is he capable as a top 6? Probably not. But when you look at him as a bottom 6 he is a very good option. I am hoping jake is still with us moving forward and be a Raffi Torres type player.

I feel like he could have been Raffi Torres + but I think maybe his injuries and early suspension from the league have taken a lot of piss and vinegar out of JV. Almost like he is afraid to his natural size for fear of being branded a repeat offender. Like a puppy that has had all the joy beaten out of it.

Guessing tag-team(pass that baton) eastern media are working overtime to peddle/dump smelly Hogtown waste.

Can't forget how they meddled in our(2 top-level) goaltender-scenario, from about 2011 - 2013. Even Lu was calling out them chumps, in post game pressers.

To help out their amateur planning, cap-fiasco, should cost Kapanen and a good pick. Their 2020 1st would be nice. That group might implode next season.

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

As much as virtanen is a disappointment as a 6 OA I feel like we should keep him. He is a perfect third liner who can play a strong north south game that we need. Is he capable as a top 6? Probably not. But when you look at him as a bottom 6 he is a very good option. I am hoping jake is still with us moving forward and be a Raffi Torres type player.

I agree, as long as we're not expecting Jake to become a Top 6 player. Sucks that we got a bottom 6 player 6th overall, but sometimes the top picks work out and sometimes they don't. Jake has the potential to become a tough player to play against, good on the PK, good in OT. He could learn some things from Roussel.    

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Did you watch the Worlds? He was probably Sweden's best player. He looked like a different player, more engaged, grittier. He apparently mentioned as well that the Worlds was like a springboard for this coming year, I think he'll have a big year.

Louie Eriksson had a great worlds too.  Nylander is a good regular season player on a stacked team offensively.  Its not about him individually even.  His cap hit is monstrous for what he brings.  If I were the GM of the Canucks, I would 100% rather spend that money on either a RHD or big bodied winger to play with Petterson.  He may not even be better than Sven Baertschi.  I would love to see what he could do on the leafs team.  I am 100% certain if healthy he would get 50 points or maybe even 60 just like Nylander.  

I don't see it at all.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Did you watch the Worlds? He was probably Sweden's best player. He looked like a different player, more engaged, grittier. He apparently mentioned as well that the Worlds was like a springboard for this coming year, I think he'll have a big year.

Just like every other Swede who puts on the national jersey. Then back to the NHL to get P A I D

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

True, the Euros seem to step up their game when they wear their country's colours.  

The whole tournament is very questionable for talent evaluation and performance.  France, Great Britain, Italy, Latvia, Austria, Germany, and even Slovakia couldn't even field an AHL team.  Who cares that someone plays well at the Worlds?  The only games that even remotely matter are Canada, USA, Russia, Finland and Sweden.  Even the Czech's are really poor now in terms of quality of roster.  That's 4 games that matter.  Really hard to judge anyone on 4 games.  Not to mention the different ice surface, referees and style of play.  

I remember Tanev had a great worlds and Babcock was the coach.  Everyone thought he was worth at least 2 - 1st round picks after that.  Ben Hutton has player in this tournament for Canada and Troy Stecher!  No offense to either but they are maybe 50th on the depth chart for Canada for the Olympics.

Its not apples to apples.  Its like apples to licorice.  They are both sweet sort of?  It only further solidify's the argument that Nylander plays well when there is no pressure and lower quality opposition.  These types of players ruin teams.  They suck up cap space that could be used on more useful players.  I am more than certain that Jake Virtanen by himself is and will be a more effective player in the playoffs at a fraction of the price.  The bar is incredibly low, so I am not being a homer here.

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guessing tag-team(pass that baton) eastern media are working overtime to peddle/dump smelly Hogtown waste.

Can't forget how they meddled in our(2 top-level) goaltender-scenario, from about 2011 - 2013. Even Lu was calling out them chumps, in post game pressers.

To help out their amateur planning, cap-fiasco, should cost Kapanen and a good pick. Their 2020 1st would be nice. That group might implode next season.

Wonder if you could get TO to add Kapanen to the trade proposal Alf made earlier?

would like to see Kapanen on Bo’s line... 

18 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Louie Eriksson had a great worlds too.  Nylander is a good regular season player on a stacked team offensively.

Not so sure about that. Eriksson had 4 points and was -8 on the highest scoring team in the tournament. The second worst on the team was -2. Nylander was +16 by the way.

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Buddy, I live in TO so I watch the leafs ALOT. Nylander disappears in the playoffs, hides, won't take hits, doesn't forecheck hard, and gets perimeter points by playing with Matthews and on a stacked PP. Jake will be alot more valuable when we NEED him. Nylander is a great reg season player and got paid for it. We need players like Jake more than players like Nylander come playoff time. If Jake can be as effective as Tom Wilson and he can be (he actually has more talent than Wilson) that's alot more valuable than Swedish Playoff Houdini

I'm shocked Babcock didn't bench Nylander in the playoffs.  He floated around all through the regular season, refusing to break a sweat. He followed that up with one of the worst performances in the history of the playoffs, making Messier look like a workaholic.

Until Willie shows a willingness to put in at least an acceptable effort, he doesn't even belong in the NHL, let alone warrant giving up a a guy who isn't a useless piece of trash.  Nylander has negative value.

Archived