The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

14 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Bobby Ryan?  7.25 cap hit (7.5 actual dollars) for two years.  Less term for us, more money cleared when Elias needs to be re-upped.  

Ottawa gets 6M cap hit for only 3M.  One year more on the deal.

Ryan could be useful for us, Erikkson demonstrably not very useful for us.

Depends if your asking the Sens fans or the Canuck hopefuls.  Ryan has/was given way more opportunity in a scoring role then LE ever was in Vancouver and still managed very little with it since getting traded years ago as a promising young player (turns out it really was Getzlaf and Perry running that line).  He won’t do anything in Vancouver but suck the life out of the locker room as their second or highest paid player depending on how things work out with Boeser, and won’t manage 30 points in the same role as LE.  Top PP minutes for years as an apparent 30 goal scorer, but barely manages anything and is a horrible plus minus.   We’d be taking the worse player back (he’s still in his prime and LE was mopping the floor with him at the same age), and he won’t add to our top six, and can’t play a bottom six role.   Don’t be confused by his 40 ish point season, OTT had no choice but to give him the primo juicy assignments with Stone and Duchene gone, him and BT played admirably considering but he just doesn’t have it anymore if he ever really did.  Big disappointment for Sens fans considering his pedigree (second overall) and what he did in ANA.   Personally I’d rather keep the devil we know, as living close to OTT i know this devil already and fans would be pretty disappointed and wish for LE back within a month. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Noticed that JB (was it yesterday?) said he will not trade his top young guys.  He mentioned all the top guys, but not Jake.  

I really don't want to trade Jake, I think he is going to turn into a hell of a player very soon.

15 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Eriksson getting a scolding this week like a child (acting like one too)... I have a feeling he's gonzo this summer.

Man I hope so. Like I said before... this might just be the best thing that he has done since signing here. I would trade him+3rd for a 7th and an expiring cap dump

15 hours ago, Rough Neck said:

I really don't want to lose Jake, but this seems like the deal would end up making. Not sure how I feel about it though. 

I don't want to lose Jake, but Nylander would look pretty good beside Pettersson and Boeser!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

????

He's also only 23 years old.  At the same age Daniel Sedin had 3 goals 31 career playoff games...

Serious the bitter taste some people have with Nylander in hilarious.  The kid is a really talented player, he's 23 already has 2x 60+ point (20 goal) seasons.  He just finished ripping up the WC with 18 points in 8 games.  No one was even close to his points per game.  Its funny how on one hand people bend over for Jake (who's done absolute nothing in the NHL) claiming he's about to break out,.....yet are writing off a player the exact same age who is only 4 goals shy of Jakes career points total....And people are writing him off because...he's only got 11 points in his 20 playoff game appearances.

His cap is 6.9 million which is far from bad, in facts that's fair value.  Just wait till you see what RFA's are going for this summer.  Marner, Conner, Laine, Rantanen, Boeser, Point, Tkachuk, Aho, Meier, it's not going to look bad at all.

The ONLY reason people don't like Nylander is because;

• He plays for Toronto.
  • JB was criticized for passing on him and taking Jake
  •  

Take out those two points and people would be all over him.  He's not a player you build around, he's a strong supporting piece, just like Kessel, Gaborik, Eberle

I don’t get all the Nylander hate either other then his contract seems a tad high (.5-1 million too high) even with inflation, and that he sat out which is always worrisome (as behaviour that could encourage others to do the same).   To me  his “measley “ .5 PPG in the playoffs says a couple things, one he can still produce, and two that’s his bottom line and he will only get better from there.  

His production suffered this year when he came back largely because of where he was placed in the depth chart, but by the end of the year he’d worked his way back and scoring again.   Also his ice time was 15 min, he didn’t get much quality PP time really, just like the other years when he was averaging 16 mins.  What does that make him?  One of the better 5 x 5 guys in the league.  The WCs just might have been his coming out party, it’s hard not to think he’d get 80 points playing on our top line, and adding 2-3mins of 1st unit PP time to those stats in short order.  How many 5 x 5 points did EP and Boeser get again, sure quality of competition is a factor...and how often did EP shy away from contact later in the season...maybe because that’s what those guys need to do to survive an 82 game season.  

On JV...yes he’s fast and skilled and has some size (twelve pounds heavier and one inch taller then Nylander) and can hit bigger than he is.  Maybe he’d do better in the playoffs, but we have to make it first to find out, but he’s never scored close to .5 PPG.  I’d like to keep him if we could to find out how he can do both in a top six role and in the playoffs before we give up on him...unless trading him gets us a player like Nylander or Kapanen.  

Ive seen a proposal that sends our tenth to TO for Nylander and people say no way.   That would be a huge gift IMO, he’s for sure an NHL player, possibly even a star, and he’s the same age as our core is.  We’d be foolish not to do that deal.   

I also dont give a rats ass if somehow by doing a deal with the leafs we fix their cap woes, as long as we get one of their talented players and don’t give up a core player in return even if it means we give up our first and a b level prospect (Lind). Kapanen or Nylander would be a great add to our core.   Maybe even Johnsson.  

Dubas would be wise to take a Nylander deal too, even if it meant going back on his word.  They don’t need him with the bevy of riches they have and that money would allow them sign Marner and both their RFAs.  Don’t re-sign Gardiner ... maybe we trade Hutton to help shore that side up for half the cost, it makes some sense if Tree is coming back, we plan to sign Edler and OJ waiting his turn. 

As an aside im NOT on the Zucker train, I think he’s more of a 40 point guy than a 60 point guy and don’t like that Boeser was linked to this trade.  JV?  Yeah I’d consider that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Can you please explain how Loui had a great worlds too? 

He was only minus 8, which is better than French defenseman Florian Chakiachvili, who was -12. He scored a goal. That's more than Henrik and Daniel Sedin combined for this tournament. And he played on a line with Elias Pettersson. This surely was great for him...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

????

He's also only 23 years old.  At the same age Daniel Sedin had 3 goals 31 career playoff games...

Serious the bitter taste some people have with Nylander in hilarious.  The kid is a really talented player, he's 23 already has 2x 60+ point (20 goal) seasons.  He just finished ripping up the WC with 18 points in 8 games.  No one was even close to his points per game.  Its funny how on one hand people bend over for Jake (who's done absolute nothing in the NHL) claiming he's about to break out,.....yet are writing off a player the exact same age who is only 4 goals shy of Jakes career points total....And people are writing him off because...he's only got 11 points in his 20 playoff game appearances.

His cap is 6.9 million which is far from bad, in facts that's fair value.  Just wait till you see what RFA's are going for this summer.  Marner, Conner, Laine, Rantanen, Boeser, Point, Tkachuk, Aho, Meier, it's not going to look bad at all.

The ONLY reason people don't like Nylander is because;

• He plays for Toronto.
  • JB was criticized for passing on him and taking Jake
  •  

Take out those two points and people would be all over him.  He's not a player you build around, he's a strong supporting piece, just like Kessel, Gaborik, Eberle

If I had 7M to spend for 6 years, it 100% wouldn't be on Nylander.  End of story...

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes!

Sometimes they get ahead of themselves once the negotiating starts though.  

At least he's a live body to reach the cap floor. Zona anybody?

LOL, at negative value thoughts by CDC.

Nylander just lead the WHC's in scoring most of the way.  Great speed and skill, if, obviously, not perfect?  Not perfect dos not == scrap.

Maybe its an exaggeration, but I really don't like the idea of tying up 7M for 6 years for Nylander.  Its not like you have to take on Nylander, and the question is whether or not thats a fair deal.  I don't want to expend anything to acquire him because their is a salary cap and that money would be better spent elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Maybe its an exaggeration, but I really don't like the idea of tying up 7M for 6 years for Nylander.  Its not like you have to take on Nylander, and the question is whether or not thats a fair deal.  I don't want to expend anything to acquire him because their is a salary cap and that money would be better spent elsewhere. 

I was surprised Willie got Pastrnak money?

But he's a world class talent. With speed to burn, agility, can handle the puck.  Compare him to Eriksson if you will. Wait till you see Boeser's contract. It will be similar.

Or what we would have to pay Panarin, Duchesne... You would take the pretty boy.  

I would not worry about Nylander.  We cannot afford the assets it would take to get him anyway.

Guys believing we would be doing TO a favour are, IMO, in a shadow.

Guys who believe he is not a good hockey player, misinformed.

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don’t get all the Nylander hate either other then his contract seems a tad high (.5-1 million too high) even with inflation, and that he sat out which is always worrisome (as behaviour that could encourage others to do the same).   To me  his “measley “ .5 PPG in the playoffs says a couple things, one he can still produce, and two that’s his bottom line and he will only get better from there.  

His production suffered this year when he came back largely because of where he was placed in the depth chart, but by the end of the year he’d worked his way back and scoring again.   Also his ice time was 15 min, he didn’t get much quality PP time really, just like the other years when he was averaging 16 mins.  What does that make him?  One of the better 5 x 5 guys in the league.  The WCs just might have been his coming out party, it’s hard not to think he’d get 80 points playing on our top line, and adding 2-3mins of 1st unit PP time to those stats in short order.  How many 5 x 5 points did EP and Boeser get again, sure quality of competition is a factor...and how often did EP shy away from contact later in the season...maybe because that’s what those guys need to do to survive an 82 game season.  

On JV...yes he’s fast and skilled and has some size (twelve pounds heavier and one inch taller then Nylander) and can hit bigger than he is.  Maybe he’d do better in the playoffs, but we have to make it first to find out, but he’s never scored close to .5 PPG.  I’d like to keep him if we could to find out how he can do both in a top six role and in the playoffs before we give up on him...unless trading him gets us a player like Nylander or Kapanen.  

Ive seen a proposal that sends our tenth to TO for Nylander and people say no way.   That would be a huge gift IMO, he’s for sure an NHL player, possibly even a star, and he’s the same age as our core is.  We’d be foolish not to do that deal.   

Very well said.  This idea that he’s grossly over paid is purely based off a biased myth. Here are the comparable contracts signed in the two year span:

Nylander at 22 had 135 points in 185 games (.73p/gp) and his new contract has a 6.9 million for 6 years.

Jake Guentzel at 23 after a putting up 81 points in 122 games (.66p/gp) has a 6 million for 5 years

Dylan Larkin at 22 after a putting up 140 points in 242 games (.58p/gp) has a 6.1 million for 5 years

Ryan Johansen at 24 after a putting up 227 points in 351 games (.65p/gp) has a 8 million for 8 years (in 2017)

David Pastrnak at 21 after a putting up 123 points in 172 games (.72p/gp) has a 6.7 million for 6 years (in 2017)

Nikolaj Ehlers at 21 after a putting up 102 points in 154 games (.66p/gp) has a 6 million for 7 years (in 2017)

Sean Monahan at 21 after a putting up 237 points in 159 games (.67p/gp) has a 6.35 million for 7 years (in 2016)

The reality is at most it’s maybe 1 million over but when you considering yearly inflation, the extra year of UFA bought, and that he’s only got one year Modified NTC (where others have multiple) it’s pretty dang close to market value.  On top of that “if” a team were to acquire him after July 1st, 21 million of his $45 million contract will already be paid off. In fact 67% of his salary is paid off in his first 3 seasons.     

So we can pretty much put that “gross” contract opinion to bed now. 

In regards to his playoffs, people seem to forget he’s a 23 year old kid.  Very few players are playoff all stars in their first few experiences.  His game is going to grow but as you said his 11 points in 20 games does show he’s able to produce. For example,

Kuznetsov’s first 26 playoff games he only had 9 points.  Meanwhile since then he’s put up 48 points in last 44 games over the last 3 seasons.

Danny and Hank also has poor playoff performances early in their careers and they turned out to be pretty good players. 

If people want to use the fact that at one point he shied away from going into the corner with Chara as the deal breaker for not wanting him, or that there happen to be players in the league that are on more friendly contracts, then that’s your own opinion but it’s pretty easy do factually point out what’s wrong with it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Very well said.  This idea that he’s grossly over paid is purely based off a biased myth. Here are the comparable contracts signed in the two year span:

Nylander at 22 had 135 points in 185 games (.73p/gp) and his new contract has a 6.9 million for 6 years.

Jake Guentzel at 23 after a putting up 81 points in 122 games (.66p/gp) has a 6 million for 5 years

Dylan Larkin at 22 after a putting up 140 points in 242 games (.58p/gp) has a 6.1 million for 5 years

Ryan Johansen at 24 after a putting up 227 points in 351 games (.65p/gp) has a 8 million for 8 years (in 2017)

David Pastrnak at 21 after a putting up 123 points in 172 games (.72p/gp) has a 6.7 million for 6 years (in 2017)

Nikolaj Ehlers at 21 after a putting up 102 points in 154 games (.66p/gp) has a 6 million for 7 years (in 2017)

Sean Monahan at 21 after a putting up 237 points in 159 games (.67p/gp) has a 6.35 million for 7 years (in 2016)

The reality is at most it’s maybe 1 million over but when you considering yearly inflation, the extra year of UFA bought, and that he’s only got one year Modified NTC (where others have multiple) it’s pretty dang close to market value.  On top of that “if” a team were to acquire him after July 1st, 21 million of his $45 million contract will already be paid off. In fact 67% of his salary is paid off in his first 3 seasons.     

In regards to his playoffs, people seem to forget he’s a 23 year old kid.  Very few players are playoff all stars in their first few experiences.  His game is going to grow but as you said his 11 points in 20 games does show he’s able to produce. For example,

Kuznetsov’s first 26 playoff games he only had 9 points.  Meanwhile since then he’s put up 48 points in last 44 games over the last 3 seasons.

Danny and Hank also has poor playoff performances early in their careers and they turned out to be pretty good players. 

If people want to use the fact that at one point he shied away from going into the corner with Chara as the deal breaker for not wanting him, or that there happen to be players in the league that are on more friendly contracts, then that’s your own opinion but it’s pretty easy do factually point out what’s wrong with it. 

Problem isn't his production, it's his laziness, which is flat out unacceptable at the NHL level.  You don't win with floaters who simply don't care about winning.  Even worse, you don't want to create a culture where Nylander's pitiful excuse for effort is tolerated.  Guy is an NHLer from the torso down.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But-but-but...

william-nylander-double-flamingo.jpg

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

He was only minus 8, and not minus 10?

Yes, so I'm really interested in how anyone can say he had a good tournament when Sweden lost because the finns played their best line against Swedens worst line where Loui was. 

Finlands winning goal was when Loui was on the ice. Not Louis fault but the coach because Sweden ran with only 6 defenceplayers and Finland exploited that weakness. 

JB values character almost above all else. There is 100% no way hes going to go after soft lazy primadonna who would take big chunk of team budget for 6 years. His point totals during regular season might match those of Pastrnak Monahan Guentzel but those guys have fire in them when it matters the most.

End of discussion.

• Upvote 1

I see comments that Jake would be involved in a trade deal. I sure hope not ! Jake is made for the playoffs, big Speed and big body attacking. beating down physically the other team. In each round Jake will be more valuable.

Next season.  Canucks will be in the playoffs and I cant wait too see playoff shotgun Jake in action.

• Upvote 3

I like what Benning had to offer in that radio spot. He may have been saying "no comment" on some things, but it sure sounded like he was almost amused by the "lack of progress talks" concerning Boeser. I really like that he appears to looking at a lot of players. And I'd hate it, but if the quality on the return was right, I could see Virt going elsewhere. He looks to be the one younger player that is legitimately a possible trade piece. If the return was Zucker...I'd take it