The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

2 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The problem is not his point total, its how he plays and where/how he gets his points. AKA they are inflated by playing a perimeter game with superstars. As much as you think he's being under rated by many here, I believe you are over rating his 'real contribution' and more importantly, as someone who lives in Toronto and has watched probably close to 60 games per year of the leafs since he's been around, plus the playoffs, he's not a guy you 'win' when it counts with.

I will give you an example that has stood out to me about him for a  few years. Game 7 vs Boston last season (not this year). 2 mins to go, Leafs down 2, pull their goalie. Puck is shot in around the boards he's coming down the left side, Chara is on the right side of the net, circling behind to that corner. Nylander could have easily beat him to the puck, he goes hard, see's who's coming, and rather than be the first man on the puck, take the hit to gain possession in a game 7, your goalie out, down 2 goals with 2 mins to play, he pulls up to NOT take the hit and allows Chara to get the puck and dump it out. Yes its one situation but it encapsulates his attitude.

Hard pass, he's not a winner. Add in him holding out like an entitled brat (much like his father did), then coming back and playing like hot garbage. No thanks

Thanks for your input.  Being from Toronto how do you rate Kapanen?  Is he a guy we should seriously consider?  I love his speed and he doesn’t seem to shy away from contact, kinda like his father.  He looks like he could be a great fit with BO and Pearson.  What do you think based on what you’ve seen of Kapanen first hand?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Ripping it up on the large European ice surface in a competition that is largely a non-hitting affair is quite different than playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.  

Virtanen can be a far more effective player in the playoffs than Nylander.  

Based on what? Because he has size?  E.Kane also has size and put up a whopping 2 points in his 20 games this post season,  Simmonds has size and he's got zero goals in his last 14 games.   Ferklund has size and he has 3 goals in his 20 post game.  Size doesn't mean much if it only shows up the odd game. Expecting him to be Tom Wilson or Ryan Reeves is laughable, Those are two pure heavy weights that bring it every game. 

If all we are looking for is points than we could just sign Panarin to a $10 million per year deal and it wouldn’t cost us any assets.  At least he performs in the playoffs and is still only 27.

10 Mlliion over 7 years vs Nylander 6.9 over the next 4 years?  Not even in the same ball park and zero chance Panarin comes here.  people need to put down the hope and dreams pipe.

If we are going to chase someone from Toronto than it should be Kapanen.  He’s bigger and faster than Nylander and doesn’t shy away from contact.  

mean whiles he's got 4 goals and 6 points in the exact same amount of playoff games.......

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks for your input.  Being from Toronto how do you rate Kapanen?  Is he a guy we should seriously consider?  I love his speed and he doesn’t seem to shy away from contact, kinda like his father.  He looks like he could be a great fit with BO and Pearson.  What do you think based on what you’ve seen of Kapanen first hand?

Kapanen is by far the better / more valuable hockey player. Will never put up willies points but he's a player you win with and I said in another thread I'd have no issue if JB offer sheeted him 5.5 mil and gave up the 1st and 3rd it would cost. He scored 20 goals from pretty much the third line, little pp time, 17 goals were ES, 1 PP, 2 SH, 85% of his assists were 5 on 5

He's Hansen with Grabner's speed and has real hands. Playing with Petey or Bo, he'll be a consistent 25 goal player, maybe push 30 and is a great 2 way player, gritty, goes to the hard spots, and kills penalties. All over getting him

Should Tanev and or sutter have solid years, we can recoup that first at the deadline, so it may end up only costing us a third

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Based on what? Because he has size?  E.Kane also has size and put up a whopping 2 points in his 20 games this post season,  Simmonds has size and he's got zero goals in his last 14 games.   Ferklund has size and he has 3 goals in his 20 post game.  Size doesn't mean much if it only shows up the odd game. Expecting him to be Tom Wilson or Ryan Reeves is laughable, Those are two pure heavy weights that bring it every game. 

10 Mlliion over 7 years vs Nylander 6.9 over the next 4 years?  Not even in the same ball park and zero chance Panarin comes here.  people need to put down the hope and dreams pipe.

mean whiles he's got 4 goals and 6 points in the exact same amount of playoff games.......

There are other things to hockey than just putting up points.  You understand this right?  Virtanen can be very effective as a 3rd line energy guy in the playoffs.  He doesn’t have to put up points to be effective unlike Nylander who unless he puts up points he is completely useless in every other area of the game.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The problem is not his point total, its how he plays and where/how he gets his points. AKA they are inflated by playing a perimeter game with superstars. As much as you think he's being under rated by many here, I believe you are over rating his 'real contribution' and more importantly, as someone who lives in Toronto and has watched probably close to 60 games per year of the leafs since he's been around, plus the playoffs, he's not a guy you 'win' when it counts with.

Who cares that you live in toronto. that doesn't give you more credibility.  He's not meant to be the guy you expect to carry the team, although that's exactly what he did 2 season ago when Matthews went down and he took over the top line center roll and produced at an even higher rate.. He's a top end support player that puts up offence. We need players like that.  

I will give you an example that has stood out to me about him for a  few years. Game 7 vs Boston last season (not this year). 2 mins to go, Leafs down 2, pull their goalie. Puck is shot in around the boards he's coming down the left side, Chara is on the right side of the net, circling behind to that corner. Nylander could have easily beat him to the puck, he goes hard, see's who's coming, and rather than be the first man on the puck, take the hit to gain possession in a game 7, your goalie out, down 2 goals with 2 mins to play, he pulls up to NOT take the hit and allows Chara to get the puck and dump it out. Yes its one situation but it encapsulates his attitude.

And how many players on this roster would do that. I've seen jake do that exact same thing, same with Petey and Brock...anecdotal evidence means very little in rational hockey discussion. 

Hard pass, he's not a winner. Add in him holding out like an entitled brat (much like his father did), then coming back and playing like hot garbage. No thanks

LIke Pavel Bure did, Turris, Wheeler, Tkachuk, Peca, subban, Johansen...the list could go on and on...

4 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Kapanen is by far the better / more valuable hockey player. Will never put up willies points but he's a player you win with and I said in another thread I'd have no issue if JB offer sheeted him 5.5 mil and gave up the 1st and 3rd it would cost. He scored 20 goals from pretty much the third line, little pp time, 17 goals were ES, 1 PP, 2 SH, 85% of his assists were 5 on 5

He's Hansen with Grabner's speed and has real hands. Playing with Petey or Bo, he'll be a consistent 25 goal player, maybe push 30 and is a great 2 way player, gritty, goes to the hard spots, and kills penalties. All over getting him

Thanks for that. I feel the same way about him.  Nylander is like little Johnny.  Will put up the points in the regular season and will become invisible in the playoffs when needed.  Kapanen on the other hand can add more value than just numbers.  His speed on the forecheck would be very helpful as well as his ability to play on different lines.  He could be a 3rd line guy and still excel.  But I see him as a top 6 player who can use his speed to great advantage and put up 25 goals like you said with either BO or Petey.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There are other things to hockey than just putting up points.  You understand this right?  Virtanen can be very effective as a 3rd line energy guy in the playoffs.  He doesn’t have to put up points to be effective unlike Nylander who unless he puts up points he is completely useless in every other area of the game.

Until that actually happens, your argument is based off hopes and dreams.  People said the exact same thing about the twins in there early years, same with Naslund, yet they are a few of the greatest canucks to lace them up..

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Who cares that you live in toronto. that doesn't give you more credibility.  He's not meant to be the guy you expect to carry the team, although that's exactly what he did 2 season ago when Matthews went down and he took over the top line center roll and produced at an even higher rate.. He's a top end support player that puts up offence. We need players like that.  

And how many players on this roster would do that. I've seen jake do that exact same thing, same with Petey and Brock...anecdotal evidence means very little in rational hockey discussion. 

LIke Pavel Bure did, Turris, Wheeler, Tkachuk, Peca, subban, Johansen...the list could go on and on...

You seem angry, the point about living in toronto is not that i have more credibility its about the fact i've watched him play ALOT.

Where did i say carry a team? Don't put words in my mouth -its about his COMPETE level

Anecdotal evidence? LOL maybe watch a game

Nylander and Bure in the same sentence? LOL!!

Nylander and competitors like Wheeler, Tkatchuk, Subban, Peca in the same sentence? Just stop bro you're making a fool of yourself.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 2

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Until that actually happens, your argument is based off hopes and dreams.  People said the exact same thing about the twins in there early years, same with Naslund, yet they are a few of the greatest canucks to lace them up..

well yeah we have to wait until we actually make the playoffs first.  But Jake’s game is tailor made for playoff hockey.  Of course we haven’t seen it just yet but I’m looking forward to it some day soon.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

you think ?   I know hes had 4 years with more than 70 points ...  i figured around 9 for 5 years but you damn well might be right ..

if that's the case , dont you think paying Brock 7 is a tad much ?

It’s free agency and teams overpay. I think 7 for Brock will end up being a bargain in the end. That’s if Jimbo doesn’t deal him to Minnesota. 

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Should Tanev and or sutter have solid years, we can recoup that first at the deadline, so it may end up only costing us a third

Well said. I agree completely about Kasperi Kapanen. I liked him a lot as a draft prospect and Im not surprised how his game has developed. At his age he could be a player that sticks in our top 6 for the next decade. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Sucker Zucker!  Zucker and Zaitsev.  The two Z’s.   zzzzzzzzzz.  I can hear it now.  Our pro scouting department is brutal if we do this.  I really hope we’re just being messed with.

I wouldn't mind Zucker. I feel like he could be a good fit here. I just worry about what we would have to give up. The 10th and Boeser shouldn't not, and hopefully not being considered.