The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

what i gleamed from JB is that when talking about another top 6 forward to help insulate and help the young guys grow, he commented on how he was happy with how pearson fit in with BO. i’m feeling, he’ll go with another pearson type forward and not the 10 mil guys. BO’s line needs a sniper; petey’s line needs some grit along with talent. 

we have lots of 3nd and 4th liners. 

without edler, we need a minute muncher and steady D-man to take his place. the D needs so much help.

12 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

As much as virtanen is a disappointment as a 6 OA I feel like we should keep him. He is a perfect third liner who can play a strong north south game that we need. Is he capable as a top 6? Probably not. But when you look at him as a bottom 6 he is a very good option. I am hoping jake is still with us moving forward and be a Raffi Torres type player.

He's also not going to get multiple suspensions like Torres either. He's on pace for being a Brett Connolly type player. The good news is Jake's point totals are better than years 4 and 5 of Connolly's. It took 7 seasons before Connolly got 46 points. That's also with Jake bouncing around the lineup.  I'd like to see him with a consistent centre and keep on the upswing of improvement. It also wasn't until year 6, and a fully healthy season that Todd Bertuzzi broke out for his first 50 point season. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Noticed that JB (was it yesterday?) said he will not trade his top young guys.  He mentioned all the top guys, but not Jake.  

he said other day he womt trade hake unless its a really top player coming back  i doubt hes trading jake

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

without edler, we need a minute muncher and steady D-man to take his place. the D needs so much help.

Even WITH Edler in the lineup, we needed more help.  If he's gone, that just make the hole even bigger.  Getting help insulating our forwards?  How about guys like Hughes?  D need even MORE help in that regards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

jakes going to take another step this year.

Jake can take as many steps as he wants, but he won't be as good as Nylander IMO

Benning said he wanted to upgrade the D and find a Top 6 winger. The trade scenario between TOR and VAN seems to make sense to me.

to VAN - Zaitsev, Marleau and Nylander

to TOR - Tanev and Virtanen

It also sounds like they are very interested in Zucker, although, not sure Benning would need to give up for him. It sounds like they want to re-sign Boeser, so I don't see him being traded.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Jake is not a mistake, and I hope he isn't going anywhere. Reaves getting traded twice for a first round pick should tell you all you need to know about big guys who can actually play. Jake will get there, and has already outscored Reaves. 

Slightly different "toughness" element. Reaves is probably top 3 tough guy in the league (and soon to be extinct). Jake has withered on the vine after his big hit junior video collection IMO. Is he really a "power foward" or just a bigger body who plays soft? Jake can skate and may produce 20 goals if he raises his low water mark night to night, but I really don`t see power forward in his game to compare him to Reaves`old-school toughness. My 2 cents.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Bobby Ryan?  7.25 cap hit (7.5 actual dollars) for two years.  Less term for us, more money cleared when Elias needs to be re-upped.  

Ottawa gets 6M cap hit for only 3M.  One year more on the deal.

Ryan could be useful for us, Erikkson demonstrably not very useful for us.

Not a horrible idea. I could see a fit there for both teams. Ideally we would want to offload Eriksson without taking so much cap back but Ryan's contract is shorter so there's that upside. Ryan is much more expensive for Ottawa so I could also see value from their side. That said Ryan is putting up better numbers than Eriksson so they might be looking to get something back on top of Eriksson to offset the point difference. I don't know if I would do it if we have to add but definitely something to contemplate.

Exciting times.  After the draft, let's see what JB can do. Tryamkin will be a huge addition if he comes back.  Probaly a couple of yrs from a consistent playoff tram, but next season they should in the hunt till the last game of the season. 

• Upvote 1

Tanev (29) - over last 3 season has missed 96 games

Zaitsev (27) - over last 3 seasons has missed 22 games

Virtanen (22) - In 210 games (32 goals 27 assists = 59 points)

Nylander (23) - In 239 games (55 goals 107 assists = 162 points)

Marleau's only got one year left. He would provide skill and a veteran presence for Pettersson's line this year.

Seriously, how will this trade help TOR? It won't. Tanev will probably only play 40 games and Jake might be a healthy scratch on more than one occasion. Sure, Jake might improve and become a good NHLer, but I don't ever see him reaching Nylander's ceiling.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Panarin (or any of the other big UFA's) are not going to sign for less than 6-7 years (let alone for a laughable $6.5m). It's not remotely a realistic possibility. People need to stop posting about signing any of these guys to 3-4 year deals. I have as much chance as bedding a supermodel while simultaneously winning the lotto.

Ok, point taken. Jumped the gun on term/price, really just throwing a figure out there as I have no idea what our cap space is going to look like once we resign Boeser, any other contracts. But sure, 6-7 year term, $8-$10m/year... wouldn't be the worst contract we've ever signed.

28 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

he said other day he womt trade hake unless its a really top player coming back  i doubt hes trading jake

Yes, I heard that too.  With the Zaitev and Marleau rumors swirling, and the Leafs trying to create cap room to sign their RFA's (especially Marner) I expect a young forward making significant cap will be included in any Zaitsev and Marleau deal.  I suggest Nylander.  Hearing Kadri floated, but no team is going take a cap dump with Kadri as the sweetener.  

5 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

3 goals in 20 playoff games taking up 7M in cap for the next 5 years, Nylander?  That Nylander is the centerpiece of this trade?  I would easily rather sign Anders Lee for 7M and keep Tanev and Virtanen and not take on those 3 bad contracts.  

Did you watch the Worlds? He was probably Sweden's best player. He looked like a different player, more engaged, grittier. He apparently mentioned as well that the Worlds was like a springboard for this coming year, I think he'll have a big year.

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Ok, point taken. Jumped the gun on term/price, really just throwing a figure out there as I have no idea what our cap space is going to look like once we resign Boeser, any other contracts. But sure, 6-7 year term, $8-$10m/year... wouldn't be the worst contract we've ever signed.

Nope and I'd be happy to sign him at that. But we won't be the only team after him and aren't likely the most attractive. Him and Karlsson are largely pipe dreams IMO.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tanev (29) - over last 3 season has missed 96 games

Zaitsev (27) - over last 3 seasons has missed 22 games

Virtanen (22) - In 210 games (32 goals 27 assists = 59 points)

Nylander (23) - In 239 games (55 goals 107 assists = 162 points)

Marleau's only got one year left. He would provide skill and a veteran presence for Pettersson's line this year.

Seriously, how will this trade help TOR? It won't. Tanev will probably only play 40 games and Jake might be a healthy scratch on more than one occasion. Sure, Jake might improve and become a good NHLer, but I don't ever see him reaching Nylander's ceiling.

Zaitsev and Marleau a cap dumps to clear space for the Leafs to sign their RFA's and improve their D core by signing a UFA.  Nylander makes a significant cap too, and has not lived up to that dollar.  

Tanev fills a need for the Leafs as a shut down partner for Reilly.

Jake is a big bodied forward the Leafs need to beat teams like the Bruins, and Capitals.  Plus, Jake is cheap.

The Leafs will shave about 14 million off their cap

We are taking a BIG risk.  Zaitsev must play to at least the level of a second pair D.  Nylander must earn his cap, because he makes too much.  Both these two have long term deals.

Of course we would prefer Kapanen to Nylander, but the Leafs will not do that.  Kapanen is cheaper.