The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Tryamkin says Hi...

I hope to god that a 21 year old 5th overall pick has a higher ceiling than a former 3rd round soon to be 25 year old with 7 years of pro experience already

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I hope to god that a 21 year old 5th overall pick has a higher ceiling than a former 3rd round soon to be 25 year old with 7 years of pro experience already

how about both being good...Tryamkin brings something that OJ doesn't have, and vise versa...those two paired together, playing big minutes is heading in the right direction...what I saw from Try when he did play as a 22 year old in the NHL is an element that not many players can bring...intimidation, able to make the first pass and a shut down "D" man (who can create a whole different environment by himself), the exact thing the Canucks need...get rid of the garbage...future looks bright with these two if OJ can stay healthy and Try stays in shape.

Have people been watching the playoffs this year?  To compete in this league,  you need to be able to roll 4 lines.  That means you need depth and talent on each line.   Even if Jake pans out as a 3rd liner, so what?  This is a 22 year old who lost almost 1 year to a severe injury and spent another season honing his defensive game in the AHL.   Let him develop and grow with the team.   You don't trade 22  year old players with this much god given ability just because they havent popped in 30 goals yet.  

Honestly, id rather we use guys like Gaudette in a trade.   

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Have people been watching the playoffs this year?  To compete in this league,  you need to be able to roll 4 lines.  That means you need depth and talent on each line.   Even if Jake pans out as a 3rd liner, so what?  This is a 22 year old who lost almost 1 year to a severe injury and spent another season honing his defensive game in the AHL.   Let him develop and grow with the team.   You don't trade 22  year old players with this much god given ability just because they havent popped in 30 goals yet.  

Honestly, id rather we use guys like Gaudette in a trade.   

Mostly agree.  Would rather trade Goldy, Bearcheese, Schaller and the like rather than Gaudette.  Hoping he can anchor a good 3rd line. 

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Mostly agree.  Would rather trade Goldy, Bearcheese, Schaller and the like rather than Gaudette.  Hoping he can anchor a good 3rd line. 

Mostly agree too and if im jb and want a roster spot cleared out to make the best 4

rolling lines to win a cup with and depth who can step in without a hiccup when our normal rash of injuries hit but if not eriksson the bearcheese, as if we go to being a faster tougher more skilled team that plays hard forecheckin i thing he's too banged up and wouldn't stand up long before it gets worse, buying him out wouldn't be as bad financially as LE but giving other younger guys a shot is worth it no? 

No to Baertschi.  Sven actually makes an impact when hes on the ice.   He wins battles, is probably the best stickhandler on the team along with Petey, and can make plays.  Hes got real good chemistry with Horvat as well.  

Gaudette tries but hes not good at any one thing.  he doesnt win puck battles, not great on faceooffs, cant make plays and you rarely notice him making any impact in the offensive end .  

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

how about both being good...Tryamkin brings something that OJ doesn't have, and vise versa...those two paired together, playing big minutes is heading in the right direction...what I saw from Try when he did play as a 22 year old in the NHL is an element that not many players can bring...intimidation, able to make the first pass and a shut down "D" man (who can create a whole different environment by himself), the exact thing the Canucks need...get rid of the garbage...future looks bright with these two if OJ can stay healthy and Try stays in shape.

Let’s get them both on the club first before pairing them up and giving them big minutes. Plus, there’s no guarantee Tryamkin comes back to Vancouver although it seems like Benning is working on it. His stint in Vancouver was good but he was still raw in many aspects and I think after he broke Brad Richardson’s leg it scarred him mentally from being that physical force everyone is hoping for. His best attribute is his long stick and ability to close the gap with his size and reach. 

18 hours ago, guntrix said:

Lol. I hope this account is a sock because this post is downright embarrassing. 

You should be comparing regular season vs playoffs... :picard:

And he actually played 10 playoff games in the 14-15 season with the Comets, not 1. :picard:

Oh wow his first season in the AHL, like that’s a valid data point - already explained

And “ a sock” what does that even mean? Is that man child speak? I don’t even know what that is. 

Also, it was already explained to you that most players don’t score at the same pace in the playoffs. I said don’t try that one, but you did. 

Moreover, it seems you ignore the point above along with the others that show the support you used for your argument was nonsense.

ad hominem hyperbolic responses are an admission of a lost debate. Well done kid  

• Cheers 1

On 6/7/2019 at 12:32 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

JV has the physical tools right now so those will only regress with age.

I doubt he will be playing in the NHL at 50 but between now and his early 30's, this is far from a concern.    Nice to know you have concern for his elder years though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

All we need him to be is stable on the ice and not a liability so when it comes to us needing someone who can throw most guys around like ragdolls, he's our guy and someone who actually clear a big body from the front of the net with the exception of schenn and if schenn gets injured and an opposing team puts their big boys out to crash the net and or park there, we have no answer..

Buffy and Loungo come to mind and we don't ever want that scenario again or it will be like every other year with a soft reg season team... that's getting old... 

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, apollo said:

Zaitsev... Good lord please no. 

Maybe I would accept this trade 

Zaitsev + Nylander (%25 retained duration) + 1st rounder for sutter 

Zaits for LE please? Absolute best scenario but absolutely is not going to happen.. :(

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Zaits for LE please? Absolute best scenario but absolutely is not going to happen.. :(

Honestly I wouldn't do them 1 for 1 at this point. 

Louis contract is gonna be really enticing for budget teams after he gets his bonus July 1st. 

He'll only be owed 9 millions over the remaining 3 years.... Eugene melnyk is probably picking his chops over getting a guy like that who gets him 6 million closer to the cap floor and only costs half that at 3 million a year for the remaining 3 years 

Edited by apollo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Virtanen has about double take aways to give aways, and is often on the ice to secure the win, as indicated by his empty net goals. He's using his speed defensively, and it's just a matter of time before he uses it to drive to the net offensively. We cannot give up on him, because he's shown real signs of progression, and could be an ace in the playoffs. 

And it WILL be an asset in the playoffs...