The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

3 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

The more real possibility that Tryamkin will come back, and Juolevi being on track in his recovery, makes me more sure we will draft forward over defenseman in the first round of the draft. 

Zegras would be a good...

On 6/5/2019 at 9:03 AM, Alflives said:

Noticed that JB (was it yesterday?) said he will not trade his top young guys.  He mentioned all the top guys, but not Jake.  

I hope we dont trade Jake. I cant imagine a scenario where his trade value is higher than his ceiling, or even a conservative estimate of his peak. He's also the type of player that helps you win in the playoffs. 

Edited by BI3KSA-
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, apollo said:

Honestly I wouldn't do them 1 for 1 at this point. 

Louis contract is gonna be really enticing for budget teams after he gets his bonus July 1st. 

He'll only be owed 9 millions over the remaining 3 years.... Eugene melnyk is probably picking his chops over getting a guy like that who gets him 6 million closer to the cap floor and only costs half that at 3 million a year for the remaining 3 years 

Ottawa wants to bring back Spezza.  They are actually pretty close to the floor.  They can just elect to pay him a bit more to reach it rather than commit 3 additional years to Eriksson.

The Clarkson LTIR contract in Vegas is a much cheaper option.  After his bonus is paid it's only 200K for a 5.25M cap hit.  Vegas will probably add an asset as they are so close to the cap.  

There are also rumours of a Lucic for Eriksson swap.  Dreger says that Benning does see value in adding Lucic.  He thinks that it would have to come with a sweetener because of that extra year.  Lucic a few weeks ago talking about how he would like to play in Vancouver and how it could still happen suggests that he knows about that possibility.

Edited by mll

On 6/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

Ya Pyatt and Bernier certainly showed the flashes Jake has, smh. Your hyperbolic commentary shows your bias. You just want to “hate”. If you saw the goals he scored, many were snipes, sorry Pyatt and Bernier never showed any type of finish that was remotely close. Moreover, Jake’s usage was heavily weighted to a third line role (conformed by ice time, zone starts and linemates) and he scored at just below a second line pace. You may want to do the math of now many second line players there are in the league and look at the list of top scorers and you will see I’m right. 

Jake may never be Bert, but he sure as hell could be Tom wilson plus, and that by itself is high value. He has all the skill of Wilson and more. 

Lol well, the rumour is JV and Tanev for Zucker. I don’t like that offer because I would rather have draft picks for JV and Tanev but I think the wild do it and JV plays like 20 nhl games fumbling passes from Parise and Staal and goes straight to the AHL. 

Tanev might be a good fit for them though. 

On June 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Care to point out how much of your alleged drop off there was in his AHL production in 14-15 from regular season to playoffs? The playoffs where he played his very first AHL games? Oh, that's right, he didn't play any regular season games in the AHL that year, did he? But that's not going to stop you from making up some "measurable precedent", is it?

If you want to disregard his AHL playoff performances because he didn't play any regular season games during that same season, that's fair. However, I'd argue that it, along with his WHL playoff record, is a better indicator than CDC presuming that he'll be a playoff monster because he's big and fast. The latter holds absolutely no water. 

On June 8, 2019 at 4:34 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

Oh wow his first season in the AHL, like that’s a valid data point - already explained

And “ a sock” what does that even mean? Is that man child speak? I don’t even know what that is. 

Also, it was already explained to you that most players don’t score at the same pace in the playoffs. I said don’t try that one, but you did. 

Moreover, it seems you ignore the point above along with the others that show the support you used for your argument was nonsense.

ad hominem hyperbolic responses are an admission of a lost debate. Well done kid  

Yeah... you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If you want to disregard his AHL playoff performances because he didn't play any regular season games during that same season, that's fair. However, I'd argue that it, along with his WHL playoff record, is a better indicator than CDC presuming that he'll be a playoff monster because he's big and fast. The latter holds absolutely no water. 

Oh? Big and fast is what gets you to the SC when it's balanced with skill..

When he's been put in tough situations by green he's steadily improved and if he can play with Bo,   Ferland (traded for) with petey or trade him or keep him bottom six and a reasonable cap but if he goes ceiling of 20 goals as season on second line? Sure why not?

Seems like it's a crime not to be an instant star in vancouver... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Oh? Big and fast is what gets you to the SC when it's balanced with skill..

When he's been put in tough situations by green he's steadily improved and if he can play with Bo,   Ferland (traded for) with petey or trade him or keep him bottom six and a reasonable cap but if he goes ceiling of 20 goals as season on second line? Sure why not?

Seems like it's a crime not to be an instant star in vancouver... 

Lol if he was actually as good as you guys say why would people have an issue with him taking up a valuable roster spot? It’s obvious because we see some glaring incorrectable faults while your ilk sees some Rose coloured playoff performer.  

I am honestly at a lost to what you guys see. His hockey fundamentals are flawed. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

Ya Pyatt and Bernier certainly showed the flashes Jake has, smh. Your hyperbolic commentary shows your bias. You just want to “hate”. If you saw the goals he scored, many were snipes, sorry Pyatt and Bernier never showed any type of finish that was remotely close. Moreover, Jake’s usage was heavily weighted to a third line role (conformed by ice time, zone starts and linemates) and he scored at just below a second line pace. You may want to do the math of now many second line players there are in the league and look at the list of top scorers and you will see I’m right. 

Jake may never be Bert, but he sure as hell could be Tom wilson plus, and that by itself is high value. He has all the skill of Wilson and more. 

Not comparable imo.  Jake wouldn’t look at Tom sideways.

12 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol if he was actually as good as you guys say why would people have an issue with him taking up a valuable roster spot? It’s obvious because we see some glaring incorrectable faults while your ilk sees some Rose coloured playoff performer.  

I am honestly at a lost to what you guys see. His hockey fundamentals are flawed. 

Then why has he been consistantly developing that way as Green and JB have said and the rest of us have seen on the ice? Should we fire management and hire you instead because you seem to be seeing something that everyone else isn't... his scoring is up, his defence is better, he's thinking better in pressure situations better than he ever did and it's noticable to everyone except you i guess... however Green still thinks JV has a higher ceiling yet but i guess he's wrong and your right?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, apollo said:

Honestly I wouldn't do them 1 for 1 at this point. 

Louis contract is gonna be really enticing for budget teams after he gets his bonus July 1st. 

He'll only be owed 9 millions over the remaining 3 years.... Eugene melnyk is probably picking his chops over getting a guy like that who gets him 6 million closer to the cap floor and only costs half that at 3 million a year for the remaining 3 years 

Ok Mel, your welcome to him...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

When did Virtanen dye his skin rose?

13 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Sounds about right.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Jake may not be the “fighter” that Wilson is but he’s faster, hits cleaner and harder, and has better hands. He can be just as effective if not more so because he doesn’t take the stupid penalties and suspensions. To suggest he can’t perform as well as that ex the fighting is just absurd sorry 

Provide a memorable hit example from last year.

i like Jake.  But the comparisons, (not just TW) are unreal.

but because we are talking Tom Wilson:

if tw went to free agency today there would be a lineup of gms waiting.  Can that be said for Jake?

tom scrums.  Tom initiated trouble.  Tom intimidates. Tom can take over a game and regularly does so.

jake does none of that.  And I don’t see it happening.

that being said:  Jake could score 20-25 while playing fast, reasonably hard on the forecheck and has a good two way game that is getting better.

let Jake be Jake.  I hope he stays and continues to develop.

Edited by riffraff
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1