The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

China to allow unseating of Hong Kong MPs from local parliament

Wed 11 Nov 2020 03:46:58 GMT

China's central government has taken tighter control over HK

• makes ‘patriotism’ mandatory for Hong Kong members of the local legislature
  • has given local government power to bypass courts and unseat filibustering politicians

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

China to allow unseating of Hong Kong MPs from local parliament

Wed 11 Nov 2020 03:46:58 GMT

China's central government has taken tighter control over HK

• makes ‘patriotism’ mandatory for Hong Kong members of the local legislature
  • has given local government power to bypass courts and unseat filibustering politicians

‘Tighter control’ <_<  sounds like complete domination and submission by now, under one system one country

Wonder if this has had, or will have, a big effect on HK being the financial hub of the region for global players?

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hate to do this to you, but what's the URL for this article?

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/china-to-allow-unseating-of-hong-kong-mps-from-parliament-20201111

more here .... https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3109330/top-beijing-body-makes-patriotism-mandatory-hong-kong

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

Trump will enact a series of hardline policies on China during his final weeks

Sun 15 Nov 2020 21:55:12 GMT

Axios have the report, citing unnamed " senior administration officials with direct knowledge of the plans".

• Trump officials plan to sanction or restrict trade with more Chinese companies, government entities and officials for alleged complicity in human rights violations in Xinjiang and Hong Kong, or threatening U.S. national security.
  • The administration also will crack down on China for its labor practices beyond Xinjiang forced labor camps.But don't expect big new moves on Taiwan or more closures of Chinese consulates in the U.S., officials say.
The plan, apparently, is to make it difficult for Biden to wind back on China. I'd be surprised if the incoming administration is all that concerned about dialing back new restrictions. I'd also be surprised that if there were measures they did want to ease back on they wouldn't do so.

• Cheers 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:59 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Now that the pan-democrats have resigned en masse, that pretty much shreds what little legitimacy the LegCo had in terms of its standing within "one country two systems".  

Once the judicial system (whose hull has already been breached) sinks as well, then HK will become just another city in china.  When that day comes, there'll be no reason for me to go back to HK, even if my wife wants to go.  Not until there's a regime change, at the very least (and by regime change, I mean death of the ccp and all the authoritarian outshoots and offspring of its existence).

Every empire has its day.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:06 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hate to do this to you, but what's the URL for this article?

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/china-to-allow-unseating-of-hong-kong-mps-from-parliament-20201111

During my search, I also found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/14/hong-kong-pro-democracy-legislators-disqualified-parliament

• Cheers 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:59 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Now that the pan-democrats have resigned en masse, that pretty much shreds what little legitimacy the LegCo had in terms of its standing within "one country two systems".  

Once the judicial system (whose hull has already been breached) sinks as well, then HK will become just another city in china.  When that day comes, there'll be no reason for me to go back to HK, even if my wife wants to go.  Not until there's a regime change, at the very least (and by regime change, I mean death of the ccp and all the authoritarian outshoots and offspring of its existence).

So sad to see what is happening to such a wonderful place / people.  Really truly so sad.  

• Vintage 1

I have been to HK 3X over many years. What the world is losing is a vibrant culture that was a beacon the communist could not tolerate. People should not think there is universal unity in China. Leadership has often come from the south and Bejing has always struggled with that. 

I was on a Po River cruise in Shanghai, sitting next to a older Chinese man. We chit chatted back and forth for awhile. Then he leans over and jesters towards a group of Chinese tourists across the cabin from us and says ‘they don’t like me you know’. I asked why? He said I am from the north. They are speaking Shanghaiese. They have always considered themselves better than us. I was floored by the whole experience. 

40 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have been to HK 3X over many years. What the world is losing is a vibrant culture that was a beacon the communist could not tolerate. People should not think there is universal unity in China. Leadership has often come from the south and Bejing has always struggled with that. 

I was on a Po River cruise in Shanghai, sitting next to a older Chinese man. We chit chatted back and forth for awhile. Then he leans over and jesters towards a group of Chinese tourists across the cabin from us and says ‘they don’t like me you know’. I asked why? He said I am from the north. They are speaking Shanghaiese. They have always considered themselves better than us. I was floored by the whole experience. 

thats funny, I had a business partner from Shanghai a few years ago who said people from Hong Kong were the most arrogant :lol:

Of course a country of 1.4 billion will be diverse.

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think Biden knows that (despite his demeanour and his supposed preference for dialogue) there are things best left untouched, and since Trump is willing to do the dirty work of putting the screws to the ccp, he'll probably be content with leaving them be for the time being, if for no other reason than because it gives him leverage when he chooses to open up dialogue with them.

What I'm hoping for is that the Biden administration will be willing to walk the talk of making the ccp accountable for their abhorrent violations of human rights, and not bend in the interests of opening up trade and the economy.  It's been proven that the ccp aren't willing to play by the rules, so accountability for their actions should be the sole determinant of whether or not further discussions (and partnerships) can be had.

The Dems criticized Trump for almost everything he did apart from one thing. That being his 'tough' stance on China. They quite enjoyed that. So I think a Biden administration will continue holding China accountable for human rights violations. Albeit it in a less bellicose manner. 

It should be noted that early on in the Trump administration they were silent on the Uighur situation in Xinjiang. As they were on the Hong Kong protests last year. Common belief is they were using their silence as a bargaining chip in trade negotiations. Exchanging their silence for better trade conditions.

Trump told China's president that building concentration camps for millions of Uighur Muslims was 'exactly the right thing to do,' former adviser says

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-china-detention-camp-xinjiang-2020-6

Trump held off sanctioning Chinese over Uighurs to pursue trade deal

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-china-detention-camp-xinjiang-2020-6

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats funny, I had a business partner from Shanghai a few years ago who said people from Hong Kong were the most arrogant :lol:

Of course a country of 1.4 billion will be diverse.

I know 2 people who grew up in Hong Kong. They both say Hong Kongers look down upon Ethnic Chinese as hillbillies. As both of them did.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

ie. political opportunism seems to be the primary driving factor for Trump.  Thanks for the reminders, I forgot that he was initially silent on these issues, and your post helped bring that all back.

It's sad how so many HKers (and Taiwanese, for that matter) tied their hopes to the ravings of a lunatic.  :sadno: Including those who lobbied and campaigned for his re-election in their status as US citizens & permanent residents.

Small correction - HKers look down upon mainlanders as hillbillies.  There's good reason for that too: although the mainlanders seem to think of themselves as superior (no thanks in large part to self-aggrandizing within their own insular echo chamber called the great firewall), and all outsiders as unwashed barbarians (a misconception that dates back centuries, if not millenia), they themselves are often un/under-educated, have no concept of personal hygiene and of making it a societal norm, no understanding of cultural sensitivity, and think they know everything (even though their world experience is approximately that of a village bumpkin).  On the flipside, HKers and ethnic Chinese diaspora who have spent years abroad (including those across the Strait in Taiwan) have a better understanding of the world, better adherence to personal hygiene and its important role in public health, and are generally better educated with a greater appreciation of experiences beyond their own ethnic background.

Frankly, aside from the militant chest-thumping blind-nationalism-promoting ccp adherents, most ethnic Chinese (including those who have emigrated to western societies and now look back on their peers from the mainland) share the thought that most mainlanders freshly migrating from the motherland are still hillbillies.  :picard:

Excellent post. You're right I should have used 'mainlanders' instead of ethnic Chinese. I almost did type mainlanders but then I kind of recalled that half of Hong Kong is attached to the maninland so didn't know if it was the correct term.

Yeah Trump delivered zip for HK and Taiwan (apart from some weaponry) but let's face it if China rolled into Taiwan he wouldn't make a peep. He just likes selling weapons to whoever will pay for them. Didn't deliver much of what he promised. Very little wall built, none of which was paid for by Mexico, no better healthcare, no infrastructure.

HK and the Uighers are just a political football. Just like how the Arab states pretend they give a crap about the Palestinians.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cash and Carrie: US sanctioned Hong Kong leader has no bank account

Fri, November 27, 2020, 8:07 PM PST·1 min read

Cash and Carrie: Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam says she has 'piles of cash' at home as she has no bank account due to US sanctions over a security law China imposed on the city

Cash and Carrie: Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam says she has 'piles of cash' at home as she has no bank account due to US sanctions over a security law China imposed on the city

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said she has "piles of cash" at home as she has no bank account after the United States slapped sanctions on her in response to a draconian security law China imposed on the city.

Lam was targeted, along with 14 other senior city officials, in the toughest US action on Hong Kong since Beijing imposed the new law on the territory in late June.

The move by Washington freezes the American assets of the 15 officials and criminalises any financial transactions in the United States.

In an interview with local English TV channel HKIBC aired on Friday night, Lam said she was "using cash every day for all the things" after being sanctioned.

"Sitting in front of you is a chief executive of the Hong Kong SAR (Special Administrative Region) who has no banking service made available to her," Lam told HKIBC.

"I have piles of cash at home, the government is paying me cash for my salary," she added.

Lam added that it was "very honourable" to be "unjustifiably sanctioned" by the US government and does not want to deter anyone from serving in public office.

Earning HK$5.21 million (US$672,000) a year, Lam is one of the highest paid leaders in the world.

Her remarks sparked a public backlash, with social media users posting photos of coins in their piggy banks at home to contrast with Lam's wealth.

Others questioned how her large salary would be transported to her residence in cash.

Lam had told media in August that she faced "a little bit of inconvenience" from the sanctions which hampered her use of credit cards.

I guess that's the cost of being a traitor.

P.S. Anyone know her home address? Asking for a friend. :ph34r:

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2020 at 5:04 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So, this...

Reveal hidden contents

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1560824-20201119.htm

...triggered this:

Reveal hidden contents

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1561068-20201120.htm

Aside from the fact that much of the police force there are un(der)educated and that they probably have never stepped onto a university campus before, this being a rare opportunity for themselves to do so - if I were part of an enterprising protest cell, I would probably do a bunch of hit-and-run protests with dozens of people as flash mobs, complete with Guy Fawkes masks, and then "report" them anonymously (including some public locations where no protests have happened) just to keep these idiots chasing ghosts.  :emot-parrot:

The protesters are equally as stupid if not even more stupid. All they know how to do is start sh*t and not know how to back it up. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Good to see that there are still some parts of the administration willing to hold the police to account - but unfortunately, this is still an empty victory since the commissioner cannot assess penalties, and the police is unlikely to take any meaningful action on this case, despite the hot air about having "rebuked the officer" and their b/s about a disciplinary review and updates to their training and policies.

Reveal hidden contents

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1566645-20201222.htm

Does anyone lift a finger if they move on Taiwan? 

15 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That really depends on whether those are stones or cheese puffs hanging under Uncle Sam's crotch.

I can't see Canada sending its carrier task force. :mad: Often wondered if Taiwan bought a few 'off the shelf' H-bombs from the Israelis. Cannot see how else they would be able to defend themselves.  

17 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Does anyone lift a finger if they move on Taiwan? 

nope. Thats the stark reality here, same with Hong Kong. No one is going to go to war to stop China from doing what they want there. 

I'm very happy Canada nixed China buying a Canadian gold mine, the least we could do is not help to fund this. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It all really depends on the big guy on our block, whether or not he's willing to step up as promised.  If Uncle Sam proves to have cheese puffs or pompoms hanging down under, and decides to go into the fetal position when the ccp acts on bringing to fruition their version of Manifest Destiny, then we're all screwed, even if there's a coalition of the willing composed of Canada and many Euro nations (and maybe even SK and Japan).  It should be noted that taking over Taiwan is not their endgame, but what they view as a necessary part of making themselves "whole" again (though history has times where this claim can be called into question).  Their endgame is subjugation.

On the other hand, if Uncle Sam is willing to take lead (militarily) and others follow, there might be a chance that Taiwan could stay free of ccp control.  It all really depends on how much appetite there is for warfare in the countries with liberal democracies, and to what extent they're willing to engage to prevent this.

In 1979 PLA invaded North Vietnam with 200,000 troops. China objected to NVA occupation of Cambodia. PLA could have moved thru to Hanoi but withdrew after making their point. Afterwards that the Vietnamese purged over 20,000 from their communist party for being sympathetic to the Chinese. My point being is that CCP has made enemies with their aggressive foreign policy in SE Asia. 

I make the point that the Taiwanese cannot depend on any help if the PLA attacks. IMHO the only credible deterrence would be nuclear weapons which I suspect they could have developed or bought. 81 miles between Taiwan and the mainland. Not insignificant but it would not stop a determined foe. One would have to suspect that the CCP has developed a significant 5th column in Taiwan.    

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It all really depends on the big guy on our block, whether or not he's willing to step up as promised.  If Uncle Sam proves to have cheese puffs or pompoms hanging down under, and decides to go into the fetal position when the ccp acts on bringing to fruition their version of Manifest Destiny, then we're all screwed, even if there's a coalition of the willing composed of Canada and many Euro nations (and maybe even SK and Japan).  It should be noted that taking over Taiwan is not their endgame, but what they view as a necessary part of making themselves "whole" again (though history has times where this claim can be called into question).  Their endgame is subjugation.

On the other hand, if Uncle Sam is willing to take lead (militarily) and others follow, there might be a chance that Taiwan could stay free of ccp control.  It all really depends on how much appetite there is for warfare in the countries with liberal democracies, and to what extent they're willing to engage to prevent this.

to be very blunt, whats in it for the US? why risk nuclear war over Hong Kong or Taiwan? 

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The same could be said for pretty much any western nation.  Historically, the biggest reason why people have gone to war has been access of markets to conduct trade.  I could see that being a reason why the States would go to war over HK and/or Taiwan - if they somehow feel that access to those markets (and the markets those areas serve, such as China) were irreversibly hindered.

not in the age of "America 1st". Not sure thats going to really come to and end with the orange clown making his departure. 

I'd like to think democratic countries would look out for each other, but I think thats long gone now.