The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Given their history with Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I get the sense that the Japanese don't want anything to do with nuclear weapons.

Instead, they'll probably have Sanrio develop some 6G-capable weaponry that turns Hello Kitty into some kind of WMD, or they'll generate anime hearts that will smother their opponents with love and cuteness, rendering their opponents ineffective at war and incapable of mounting an invasion on the islands...

Their history is what makes Japan considering nuclear weapons seriously such a terrifying thought. What a world.

21 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

By the end of the decade, unless China disposes of Xi and backtracks on their foreign policy, Japan at the very least will be a nuclear capable country.

Taiwan is a bad/arse/minton country !

They just smoked China at the Olympics.

Great win both on and off the court.

• 2 weeks later...

Detainee says China has secret jail in Dubai, holds Uyghurs

A young Chinese woman says she was held for eight days at a Chinese-run secret detention facility in Dubai along with at least two Uyghurs, in what may be the first evidence that China is operating a so-called "black site" beyond its borders.

The woman, 26-year-old Wu Huan, was on the run to avoid extradition back to China because her fiance was considered a Chinese dissident. Wu told The Associated Press she was abducted from a hotel in Dubai and detained by Chinese officials at a villa converted into a jail, where she saw or heard two other prisoners, both Uyghurs.

She was questioned and threatened in Chinese and forced to sign legal documents incriminating her fiance for harassing her, she said. She was finally released on June 8 and is now seeking asylum in the Netherlands.

While "black sites" are common in China, Wu's account is the only testimony known to experts that Beijing has set one up in another country. Such a site would reflect how China is increasingly using its international clout to detain or bring back citizens it wants from overseas, whether they are dissidents, corruption suspects or ethnic minorities like the Uyghurs.

The AP was unable to confirm or disprove Wu's account independently, and she could not pinpoint the exact location of the black site. However, reporters have seen and heard corroborating evidence including stamps in her passport, a phone recording of a Chinese official asking her questions and text messages that she sent from jail to a pastor helping the couple.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said: "What I can tell you is that the situation the person talked about is not true." Dubai did not respond to multiple phone calls and requests for comment.

Yu-Jie Chen, an assistant professor at Taiwan's Academia Sinica, said she had not heard of a Chinese secret jail in Dubai, and such a facility in another country would be unusual. However, she also noted that it would be in keeping with China's attempts to do all it can to bring select citizens back, both through official means such as signing extradition treaties and unofficial means such as revoking visas or putting pressure on family back home.

"(China) really wasn't interested in reaching out until recent years," said Chen, who has tracked China's international legal actions.

Chen said Uyghurs in particular were being extradited or returned to China, which has been detaining the mostly Muslim minority on suspicion of terrorism even for relatively harmless acts like praying. Wu and her fiance, 19-year-old Wang Jingyu, are not Uyghur but rather Han Chinese, the majority ethnicity in China.

Dubai has a history as a place where Uyghurs are interrogated and deported back to China, and activists say Dubai itself has been linked to secret interrogations. Radha Stirling, a legal advocate who founded the advocacy group Detained in Dubai, said she has worked with about a dozen people who have reported being held in villas in the UAE, including citizens of Canada, India and Jordan but not China.

"There is no doubt that the UAE has detained people on behalf of foreign governments with whom they are allied," Stirling said. "I don't think they would at all shrug their shoulders to a request from such a powerful ally."

However, Patrick Theros, a former U.S. ambassador to Qatar who is now strategic advisor to the Gulf International Forum, called the allegations "totally out of character" for the Emiratis.

On May 27, Wu said, she was questioned by Chinese officials at her hotel and then taken by Dubai police to a police station for three days. On the third day, she said, a Chinese man who introduced himself as Li Xuhang came to visit her. He told her he was working for the Chinese consulate in Dubai, and asked her whether she had taken money from foreign groups to act against China.

Li Xuhang is listed as consul general on the website of the Chinese consulate in Dubai. The consulate did not return multiple calls asking for comment and to speak with Li directly.

Wu said she was handcuffed and put in a black Toyota. After half an hour, she was brought inside a white villa with three stories, where rooms had been converted into individual cells, she said.

Wu was taken to her own cell, with a heavy metal door, a bed, a chair and a white fluorescent light that was on all day and night. She said she was questioned and threatened several times in Chinese.

She saw another prisoner, a Uyghur woman, while waiting to use the bathroom once, she said. A second time, she heard a Uyghur woman shouting in Chinese, "I don't want to go back to China, I want to go back to Turkey." Wu identified the women as Uyghurs, she said, based on their distinctive appearance and accent.

The guards also gave her a phone and a sim card and instructed her to call her fiance and pastor Bob Fu, the head of ChinaAid, a Christian non-profit, who was helping the couple.

Wang confirmed to the AP that Wu called and asked him for his location. Fu said he received at least four or five calls from her during this time, a few on an unknown Dubai phone number, including one where she was crying and almost incoherent. The AP also reviewed text messages Wu sent to Fu at the time, which are disjointed and erratic.

The last thing Wu's captors demanded of her, she said, was to sign documents testifying that Wang was harassing her.

"I was really scared and was forced to sign the documents," she told the AP.

After Wu was released, she flew to Ukraine, where she was reunited with Wang. After threats from Chinese police that Wang could face extradition from Ukraine, the couple fled again to the Netherlands. Wu said she misses her homeland.

"I've discovered that the people deceiving us are Chinese, that it's our countrymen hurting our own countrymen," she said.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Detainee says China has secret jail in Dubai, holds Uyghurs

A young Chinese woman says she was held for eight days at a Chinese-run secret detention facility in Dubai along with at least two Uyghurs, in what may be the first evidence that China is operating a so-called "black site" beyond its borders.

The woman, 26-year-old Wu Huan, was on the run to avoid extradition back to China because her fiance was considered a Chinese dissident. Wu told The Associated Press she was abducted from a hotel in Dubai and detained by Chinese officials at a villa converted into a jail, where she saw or heard two other prisoners, both Uyghurs.

She was questioned and threatened in Chinese and forced to sign legal documents incriminating her fiance for harassing her, she said. She was finally released on June 8 and is now seeking asylum in the Netherlands.

While "black sites" are common in China, Wu's account is the only testimony known to experts that Beijing has set one up in another country. Such a site would reflect how China is increasingly using its international clout to detain or bring back citizens it wants from overseas, whether they are dissidents, corruption suspects or ethnic minorities like the Uyghurs.

The AP was unable to confirm or disprove Wu's account independently, and she could not pinpoint the exact location of the black site. However, reporters have seen and heard corroborating evidence including stamps in her passport, a phone recording of a Chinese official asking her questions and text messages that she sent from jail to a pastor helping the couple.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said: "What I can tell you is that the situation the person talked about is not true." Dubai did not respond to multiple phone calls and requests for comment.

Yu-Jie Chen, an assistant professor at Taiwan's Academia Sinica, said she had not heard of a Chinese secret jail in Dubai, and such a facility in another country would be unusual. However, she also noted that it would be in keeping with China's attempts to do all it can to bring select citizens back, both through official means such as signing extradition treaties and unofficial means such as revoking visas or putting pressure on family back home.

"(China) really wasn't interested in reaching out until recent years," said Chen, who has tracked China's international legal actions.

Chen said Uyghurs in particular were being extradited or returned to China, which has been detaining the mostly Muslim minority on suspicion of terrorism even for relatively harmless acts like praying. Wu and her fiance, 19-year-old Wang Jingyu, are not Uyghur but rather Han Chinese, the majority ethnicity in China.

Dubai has a history as a place where Uyghurs are interrogated and deported back to China, and activists say Dubai itself has been linked to secret interrogations. Radha Stirling, a legal advocate who founded the advocacy group Detained in Dubai, said she has worked with about a dozen people who have reported being held in villas in the UAE, including citizens of Canada, India and Jordan but not China.

"There is no doubt that the UAE has detained people on behalf of foreign governments with whom they are allied," Stirling said. "I don't think they would at all shrug their shoulders to a request from such a powerful ally."

However, Patrick Theros, a former U.S. ambassador to Qatar who is now strategic advisor to the Gulf International Forum, called the allegations "totally out of character" for the Emiratis.

On May 27, Wu said, she was questioned by Chinese officials at her hotel and then taken by Dubai police to a police station for three days. On the third day, she said, a Chinese man who introduced himself as Li Xuhang came to visit her. He told her he was working for the Chinese consulate in Dubai, and asked her whether she had taken money from foreign groups to act against China.

Li Xuhang is listed as consul general on the website of the Chinese consulate in Dubai. The consulate did not return multiple calls asking for comment and to speak with Li directly.

Wu said she was handcuffed and put in a black Toyota. After half an hour, she was brought inside a white villa with three stories, where rooms had been converted into individual cells, she said.

Wu was taken to her own cell, with a heavy metal door, a bed, a chair and a white fluorescent light that was on all day and night. She said she was questioned and threatened several times in Chinese.

She saw another prisoner, a Uyghur woman, while waiting to use the bathroom once, she said. A second time, she heard a Uyghur woman shouting in Chinese, "I don't want to go back to China, I want to go back to Turkey." Wu identified the women as Uyghurs, she said, based on their distinctive appearance and accent.

The guards also gave her a phone and a sim card and instructed her to call her fiance and pastor Bob Fu, the head of ChinaAid, a Christian non-profit, who was helping the couple.

Wang confirmed to the AP that Wu called and asked him for his location. Fu said he received at least four or five calls from her during this time, a few on an unknown Dubai phone number, including one where she was crying and almost incoherent. The AP also reviewed text messages Wu sent to Fu at the time, which are disjointed and erratic.

The last thing Wu's captors demanded of her, she said, was to sign documents testifying that Wang was harassing her.

"I was really scared and was forced to sign the documents," she told the AP.

After Wu was released, she flew to Ukraine, where she was reunited with Wang. After threats from Chinese police that Wang could face extradition from Ukraine, the couple fled again to the Netherlands. Wu said she misses her homeland.

"I've discovered that the people deceiving us are Chinese, that it's our countrymen hurting our own countrymen," she said.

I wonder how long until we here of stories of Chinese abducting non Chinese detractors outside of China and taking them to detention facilities, who knows where.

Edited by canuckster19

5 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I wonder how long until we here of stories of Chinese abducting non Chinese detractors outside of China and taking them to detention facilities, who knows where.

Wouldn't be the first time a country ran secret jails around the world.

If there's never any consequences for your actions you just keep upping the ante. Any 5 year old has mastered that.

On the other hand I'd like more confirmation of this than the story of someone seeking asylum in Europe.

Edited by nuckin_futz

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So glad there are people with the courage and technical expertise willing to do these sorts of things in the face of authoritarianism and possibly even persecution:

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/08/28/digital-dissent-hongkongers-race-to-archive-democracy-movement/

Hong Kong now, then Taiwan.  Biden has the US looking very weak.  China and Russia will both take full advantage of weakness.  

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Perhaps.  I still hang onto the hope that the democracies of the western world will ultimately stand up to authoritarianism.  They just need a catalyst, or an inflection point, something that triggers their sense of decency and how authoritarian regimes offend that sense of decency enough to fight against it - whether it be through social, political, economic, scientific, or military means.

Already, the ccp is showing their bullying ways.  It's only a matter of time that they bully one too many of the countries they've engaged with, resulting in a mass disengagement and shutting off of cordial relations.

And when that happens, it'll suck for me and others that look like me, because the western world won't know who of us to trust, but hopefully the end result will be the elimination of the ccp and eventual self-determination of peoples within the area without the authoritarianism.  Maybe.  And if that (the dissolution of the ccp) should come to pass, it might make all that unneeded (and unfair) ostracization of peoples that look like me worth it.  Maybe.

Sadly we have a bad history for lumping people together by their appearance.  Look at what we did to the Japanese people here during WWII.  Hopefully we are beyond that now though.  It’s not common folk like us causing others’ suffering; it’s these authoritarian governments, like the CCP.  

• Vintage 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:59 PM, Alflives said:

Hong Kong now, then Taiwan.  Biden has the US looking very weak.  China and Russia will both take full advantage of weakness.  

Same as trump making the US look weak by destroying credibility of its own democracy, and withdrawing from international involvement like Paris accord, TPP, and demonizing its allies like UK, France, Germany and Canada, and openly admiring authoritarian rules like Putin, Kim, Turkish leader etc. You still have people now in law suits trying to find votes in AZ. Millions believe the election was stolen. 

USA is weaker country than 20 yrs ago. Everyone knows that. 

Three hours a week: Play time's over for China's young video gamers

SHANGHAI, Aug 30 (Reuters) - China has forbidden under-18s from playing video games for more than three hours a week, a stringent social intervention that it said was needed to pull the plug on a growing addiction to what it once described as "spiritual opium".

The new rules, published on Monday, are part of a major shift by Beijing to strengthen control over its society and key sectors of its economy, including tech, education and property, after years of runaway growth.

The restrictions, which apply to any devices including phones, are a body blow to a global gaming industry that caters to tens of millions of young players in the world's most lucrative market.

They limit under-18s to playing for one hour a day - 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. - on only Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, according to the Xinhua state news agency. They can also play for an hour, at the same time, on public holidays.

The rules from the National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA) regulator coincide with a broader clampdown by Beijing against China's tech giants, such as Alibaba Group (9988.HK) and Tencent Holdings (0700.HK).

The campaign to prevent what state media has described as the "savage growth" of some companies has wiped tens of billions of dollars off shares traded at home and abroad.

"Teenagers are the future of our motherland," Xinhua quoted an unnamed NPPA spokesperson as saying. "Protecting the physical and mental health of minors is related to the people's vital interests, and relates to the cultivation of the younger generation in the era of national rejuvenation."

Gaming companies will be barred from providing services to minors in any form outside the stipulated hours and must ensure they have put real-name verification systems in place, said the regulator, which oversees the country's video games market.

Previously, China had limited the length of time under-18s could play video games to 1.5 hours on any day and three hours on holidays under 2019 rules.

The new rules swiftly became one of the most discussed topics on Weibo, China's answer to Twitter. Some users expressed support for the measures while others said they were surprised at how drastic the rules were.

"This is so fierce that I'm utterly speechless," said one comment that received over 700 likes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-rolls-out-new-rules-minors-online-gaming-xinhua-2021-08-30/

Papa Xi remaking society. After all they won't have sufficient time to praise Dear Leader if they're busy playing video games.

Edited by nuckin_futz

On 8/16/2021 at 5:17 AM, canuckster19 said:

They have operations in Abu Dhabi. I recall seeing a news piece on it some days ago. Unfortunately I can't comment more as I hadn't paid much attention to it. 

15 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Three hours a week: Play time's over for China's young video gamers

SHANGHAI, Aug 30 (Reuters) - China has forbidden under-18s from playing video games for more than three hours a week, a stringent social intervention that it said was needed to pull the plug on a growing addiction to what it once described as "spiritual opium".

The new rules, published on Monday, are part of a major shift by Beijing to strengthen control over its society and key sectors of its economy, including tech, education and property, after years of runaway growth.

The restrictions, which apply to any devices including phones, are a body blow to a global gaming industry that caters to tens of millions of young players in the world's most lucrative market.

They limit under-18s to playing for one hour a day - 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. - on only Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, according to the Xinhua state news agency. They can also play for an hour, at the same time, on public holidays.

The rules from the National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA) regulator coincide with a broader clampdown by Beijing against China's tech giants, such as Alibaba Group (9988.HK) and Tencent Holdings (0700.HK).

The campaign to prevent what state media has described as the "savage growth" of some companies has wiped tens of billions of dollars off shares traded at home and abroad.

"Teenagers are the future of our motherland," Xinhua quoted an unnamed NPPA spokesperson as saying. "Protecting the physical and mental health of minors is related to the people's vital interests, and relates to the cultivation of the younger generation in the era of national rejuvenation."

Gaming companies will be barred from providing services to minors in any form outside the stipulated hours and must ensure they have put real-name verification systems in place, said the regulator, which oversees the country's video games market.

Previously, China had limited the length of time under-18s could play video games to 1.5 hours on any day and three hours on holidays under 2019 rules.

The new rules swiftly became one of the most discussed topics on Weibo, China's answer to Twitter. Some users expressed support for the measures while others said they were surprised at how drastic the rules were.

"This is so fierce that I'm utterly speechless," said one comment that received over 700 likes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-rolls-out-new-rules-minors-online-gaming-xinhua-2021-08-30/

Papa Xi remaking society. After all they won't have sufficient time to praise Dear Leader if they're busy playing video games.

I wonder how that works, I mean, do they even have the systems in place to bar people from playing games offline? Guess some old systems that don't require an internet connection will be worth their weight in gold.

Can you imagine... well Steam's finally done updating... wait I only have 5 minutes left to play...?!

Edited by canuckster19

35 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Guess some old systems that don't require an internet connection will be worth their weight in gold.

Going to call my Mom, tell her the original Nintendo, with the duck hunt game is going to be worth the first year of her favourite nephews' college tuitions.

Then when she dusts of her Coleeco, Intelivision, Play station, and the other 5 or 6 systems, she will be raking in the dinero.

2 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

I wonder how that works, I mean, do they even have the systems in place to bar people from playing games offline? Guess some old systems that don't require an internet connection will be worth their weight in gold.

Can you imagine... well Steam's finally done updating... wait I only have 5 minutes left to play...?!

Oh wait, it gets better. Now they're banning "girlie men".................

Revolution is coming: Markets are sleepwalking towards a made-in-China disaster

Thu 2 Sep 2021 18:16:30 GMT

China banning 'girlie men' from TV is part of a much bigger change afoot in the economy

China banning 'girlie men' from TV is part of a much bigger change afoot in the economy

At the best of times China is a mystery but at the turning points it's even more opaque.

We may be at one now and it could have crushing repercussions for the global economy.

Two stories have grabbed media attention recently.
  1. Limiting minors to playing video games for 3 hours per week
  2. Banning effeminate men from TV
Now that sounds like the kind of thing you'd see in a totalitarian non-democracy. It's not great for the people there but it's not much of a concern economically.

The problem is that there is much more going on than that. China has a few problems that it's trying to deal with:

1. A dramatic fall in the birth rate
  2. An over-reliance and speculation in real estate
  3. A widening gap between rich and poor
  4. Maintaining party control
It increasingly looks like China wants to tackle these problems head on and is willing to sacrifice economic growth to do it.

Xi didn't just call for a ban on effeminate men (perhaps the thinking is that it would boost the rate of household formation) but called for "revolutionary culture" and a "national rejuvenation" with tighter party control of  education, culture and business.

These are toothless edicts. Weibo suspended thousands of accounts for celebrity fan clubs and entertainment news. Popular actress Zhao Wei has been erased.

Much more concerning is what is happening in the economy. Chinese tech shares have been crushed after the government banned for-profit educational tutoring and demanded more social spending from its tech giants. The China tech ETF has been cut in half.
KWEB

That might just be the beginning.

A cryptic blog post from unknown writer Li Guangman has been hugely elevated in a coordinated way by state-sponsored media recently.

"This change will wash away all the dust, and the capital market will no longer be a paradise for capitalists to grow rich overnight," the post said.

Just today, President Xi announced the creation of a new stock exchange in Beijing.

The post recaps the cultural crackdowns and calls for a new pursuit of "common prosperity"

"[All] of this tells us that China is undergoing a major change. From the economic sphere to the financial sphere, from the cultural sphere to the political sphere, a profound  transformation is underway - or, one might say, a profound revolution."
It's uncommon for Communist Party rhetoric to use the word revolution and the post was shared on 8 major state media sites on August 29.
Blog post China
The speculation now is that in November Xi could redefine the current period as a "new era". A move that would solidify his leadership position and hasn't been declared since 1981. They're meant to be statements on history that set out new priorities.

The China Media Project has summarized all this in much more detail, and notes that just this week some unusual language emerged from the Politburo session.

It was pointed out at the meeting that, by learning from history, we can understand [the laws] of rise and decline. Summarizing the major achievements and historical experiences of the Party in its century-long struggle to build a modern socialist nation century of struggle is necessary to persist in the development of socialism with Chinese  characteristics in the new era, is necessary to enhancing a political mindset, a macro-mindset, a 'core' mindset, and a mindset of compliance, to maintaining confidence in the path, confidence in [the Party's] theories,  confidence in the system, confidence in our culture, and to firmly maintaining General Secretary Xi Jinping's status as the core of the party center and the entire party . . . .
What does it mean for the economy?

It can't be good. GDP growth has been China's driving goal for the past +20 years, at the expense of almost everything else. Growth targets were sacrosanct.

Chinese leaders may have sensed that the shift to a consumer-led economy wasn't working in the way it hoped. Demographic shifts also pose an existential risk to prosperity.

The party may have concluded that cultural changes were needed to get where it wants to go. There are also signs they're looking to broaden economic gains and two weeks ago Xi offered a huge warning in a speech about common prosperity.

"We can support wealthy entrepreneurs who work hard, operate legally, and have taken risks to start businesses ... but we must also do our best to establish a 'scientific' public policy system that allows for fairer income distribution. At the same time, [the government] should protect and improve livelihoods  based on healthy economic development with a focus on strengthening a universal and inclusive security scheme."
A particular area of concern is real estate.

Economists at Nomura said China could be facing a "Volcker Moment"; similar to when the former Fed chair signaled he would hurt the economy with higher interest rates in order to break the back of inflation.

"Unlike in previous economic down cycles, Chinese authorities look set to tighten property sector policy and tame prices this time, in order to reduce waelth inequality and boost the falling birthrate ... policy makers will be willing to sacrifice near-term economic growth to tame house prices and divert financial resources out of the property sector, which accounts for a quarter of China's GDP."
If that's the case, then the trade is to sell everything.
Evergrande
There's ample evidence that Chinese markets are trembling. Evergrande -- which is China's second-largest developer -- is on the verge of crumbling. It holds $302 billion in liabilities and its bonds are trading at 27-cents from 85-cents in June. It's struggling to find the money to pay contractors and complete homes. It's a snowballing crisis and there are signs the central bank has gotten involved with liabilities extending to 128 banks and 121 non-bank institutions.

Between Xi, Chinese economic malaise and high debt levels, Evergrande could be the domino that topples the Chinese economy and market enthusiasm elsewhere.

And let's not forget this week's official non-manufacturing PMI:
China PMI

^Way too many boys, not enough girls, another problem that will soon have to be dealt with.

Probably a "little" border skirmish with India, should keep a couple hundred thousand PLA  busy and maybe half of them end up dying or disabled. If disabled the hospital/social service industry can expand and stay busy, generating some money.

21 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

For anyone that thinks the ccp still espouses communist ideals, I think that's an illusion that has been dispelled by the ccp themselves often and with determination - even as they state their adherence and loyalty to communist principles ("with chinese characteristics").  :picard:

Hide contents

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/09/01/university-of-hong-kong-labour-researcher-detained-by-police-in-china-during-studies-friends-say/

Two segments I wanted to touch upon from this article:

First -

HKU and its governance structures have actively and ruthlessly cracked down on its student body for matters relating to the anti-ELAB protests, pro-democracy movements, and more recently anything that runs counter to the government's wishes.  It won't be a stretch of the imagination to think that the whole sum of assistance provided to the accosted student will amount to a big fat zero. 

If people really think that HKU will extend any sort of assistance, I only have three words to provide them - "good &^@#ing luck".

Second -

This is more what I was referring to earlier in my post here - that the ccp is cracking down on the very organizations that should form the basis of their struggle in support of the proletariat is very telling of the type of political philosophy they now espouse.  It's certainly not communism that they aspire to achieve.  In fact, there are more parallels to the emperors of yesteryear that they share than the communism they say they believe in.

China was never communist. I don't know how anyone can look at what they do and think they are communist. It is no different than people thinking that the Nazis were socialist just because they called themselves socialist.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Once upon a time, their principles may have been.  However, over the course of time, it's been pretty apparent that they've deviated far, far away from those principles.

There are still people in high places in the government that believe in communism and that China is communist, insane individuals with lots of power surrounded by charlatans robbing the country for all its worth. A disgusting state of affairs.

• Cheers 2

On 9/3/2021 at 8:26 AM, Nucksownyou said:

China was never communist. I don't know how anyone can look at what they do and think they are communist. It is no different than people thinking that the Nazis were socialist just because they called themselves socialist.

Definition of communism 

A theory or system of social organisation in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.

As of 2021 there are 1,058 billionaires in greater China.

By comparison there are 696 billionaires residing in the united states.

Communist ?

There has never been a truly communist country.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Definition of communism 

A theory or system of social organisation in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.

Communist ?

Been saying that forever. 
It is just the words used to hold down the working and lower class by the ruling class.   Sometimes the dictators use the words communism, sometimes socialism, sometimes trickle-down economics. 
It ultimately is just a rationalization to get people to accept the oligarchies and dictatorships we live under. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Been saying that forever. 
It is just the words used to hold down the working and lower class by the ruling class.   Sometimes the dictators use the words communism, sometimes socialism, sometimes trickle-down economics. 
It ultimately is just a rationalization to get people to accept the oligarchies and dictatorships we live under. 

Like I keep saying Brother 

Wolves and sheep.

To expand on that most people are content to have others make decisions for them.

Not many people apply 100 percent of their abilities and effort into what they do.

True freedom is being with the people you love,in places that you love,doing what you love.

• Cheers 1

On 9/6/2021 at 4:18 AM, Ilunga said:

Definition of communism 

Communist ?

Sounds like Xi may have been listening to you:

Warning of Income Gap, Xi Tells China’s Tycoons to Share Wealth

As the country’s leaders prepare for a possible third term, he is promising “shared prosperity” to lift farmers and working families into the middle class.

Four decades ago, Deng Xiaoping declared that China will “Let some people get rich first” in the race for development. Now, Xi Jinping has put the Chinese tycoon on notice that it is time for him to share more wealth with the rest of the country.

Mr. Xi says the Communist Party will pursue “common prosperity”, pressuring businesses and entrepreneurs to help bridge the stubborn wealth gap that can stunt the country’s rise and undermine public confidence in leadership. can. Supporters say the next phase of China’s development calls for change.

https://granthshala.com/warning-of-income-gap-xi-tells-chinas-tycoons-to-share-wealth/