• Signs with Canucks 1-2 years 7 mill or less
    • Signs with canucks 1-2 years more than 7 mill
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years show me the money more then 7 mill
    • Signs else where more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs else where more then 2 years 7 mill or more show me the money
    • signs else where absolutely 8 million-9million 4-5 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 11:22 AM

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I should have said, imo.  To me, any player that can play 25-30 mins against the other teams top players every single night, and do it well, is legit #1-2.  

I'm definitely not saying he doesn't struggle with the puck sometimes, but his offense was a little better this year and should improve as the top tier fwds get better too 

I agree on a mid level team he is a legit number 2.  But in my opinion from the teams that made the playoffs this year there aren't many (if any) I would place him top pairing over what they were able to ice.  I would see him be a solid second pairing D on most.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree with that, necessarily.  But if they don't sign Edler or have a significant replacement lined up, they are going to waste the next three years of Petey, boes, Bo etc.

OJ, QH, Woo etc are a few years from carrying the load that Edler carries.

3 years is a lot longer than the 2 weeks mentioned earlier though. A lot can happen even in the 2 or 3 weeks let alone 3 years and if JB can't find a replacement by 3 years I think we'd have bigger issues at that point. lol

Basically, if we don't have the ability to make proper trades over a long period of time like that, how can we expect to have a good team? I get that it's easy to worry about who's going to replace Edler, but if we can't even solve a problem like that.... we're going to have other holes to fill too. We have holes right now. We need to be able to fill holes to survive. We need to be able to fill holes so that Benning can keep his job. So I guess based on that I don't see Edler's hole as an issue more than I do an opportunity to get someone else in. It's not going to be easy, but these are necessary tasks that all teams have to deal with. If there are 3 wasted years, our GM didn't do his job in filling our holes.

Edited by The Lock

20 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Tell me im wrong. Edler is Worth 5 years @ 7.5 - 8 million per

So all you all know Edler on a 5 year contract means year 33,34,35,36,37 he would only be 38 years old if he plays in the playoffs in his last year of this contract. 

Hard to answer without knowing what currency you are referring to and how they equate to dollars.    Further, as long as there are no clauses on movement, then once you sort out that currency conversion (e.g. were you using PNG Kina? or.....) then it may work.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Try to answer my question then. 

If both players play similar like they did this year for the coming 3 seasons, how do you value them? 

Edler has at least 2/3 seasons left before he's replacable. 

both players do not play similar and Boeser is 22? how can you compare them even closely. we are talking about a player that is at the end of his career not the start.

Edler has been a very serviceable defenceman. he has developed into way more than we could have expected when he came to the club. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Edler has his best years behind him and has had one good year the last three. A contract year. He has lost foot speed. He has one Power play goal in a calendar year. ONE. He is not the same player as 2011 no matter how much you and I want him to be. Saying  he was the best D man on this team last year is an indication of how bad this defense has become not a reflection of how good he is

I reiterate my statement that if we are going to give Edler more than 5 million a season and a NTC we should take that money and throw it at a younger free agent that will be around for a bit longer than Edler should be. Edler is really the last link to the 2011 Sedin era. Tanev played in the finals that year but as a rookie.  Its time to move on unless he wants to play here without the NTC and for 5 Million or less. If he seriously wants to play here or no where else, this is how he can help the team. He didn't want to waive the NTC and i respect that. i just wouldn't give him that option again.And he is not getting protected in the Expansion draft. That would truly be stupid.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why everyone is hating on you... It wouldn't surprise me if Alex gets ~7 million on the open market... 8 is stretching it though, especially at 5 years. 

That being said, a guy who has said loves this city, I hope to see him take a hometown discount and stay 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

both players do not play similar and Boeser is 22? how can you compare them even closely. we are talking about a player that is at the end of his career not the start.

Edler has been a very serviceable defenceman. he has developed into way more than we could have expected when he came to the club. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Edler has his best years behind him and has had one good year the last three. A contract year. He has lost foot speed. He has one Power play goal in a calendar year. ONE. He is not the same player as 2011 no matter how much you and I want him to be. Saying  he was the best D man on this team last year is an indication of how bad this defense has become not a reflection of how good he is

I reiterate my statement that if we are going to give Edler more than 5 million a season and a NTC we should take that money and throw it at a younger free agent that will be around for a bit longer than Edler should be. Edler is really the last link to the 2011 Sedin era. Tanev played in the finals that year but as a rookie.  Its time to move on unless he wants to play here without the NTC and for 5 Million or less. If he seriously wants to play here or no where else, this is how he can help the team. He didn't want to waive the NTC and i respect that. i just wouldn't give him that option again.And he is not getting protected in the Expansion draft. That would truly be stupid.

Good answer but how do you value Boeser if he would get a bridge deal? 

50 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Good answer but how do you value Boeser if he would get a bridge deal? 

in my humble opinion signing Boeser to a bridge deal is a mistake. I have supported a lot of what GM JB has done but he will be making a mistake if he only signs Brock to a two or three year deal. Getting him locked up for 6 or 7 years should be the goal. I would pay Brock at the 7 mill range. Im not sure what the comparable out there is but its not a stretch to think he should get more than Bo.

Karlsson in Vegas had the same points as Brock last season and makes 8 mill although he had a great year the season before.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 1

If Edler would not move his trade contract, because he WANTS to stay here,

Then Why would the Canucks pay high to keep him here on a new contract?

Edler is not the future and younger players will not be exposed for him,

There will NOT be another NMT, even if he takes a home town discount (He is taking a Canuck contract, if he truly wants to stay here)

I can see his asking for a verbal promise of no trades to any teams (without it written) , but being allowed to be exposed in the draft

If Vancouver is his choice to play in and cannot, Seattle is the closest team to being to Vancouver

He also knows, that there is no guarantee Seattle will take him, especially if his injuries increase even more, and is injured again at the draft (as he usually seems to be a trade deadline too)

I could see a 3 year contract offered, with expansion exposure

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Upvote 1

let him make it to the open market then?? we ain't competing for a cup this coming season.. and probably won't be till after seattle expansion kicks in.. so there's no point of signing him to a massive ntc contract.. if Juolevi makes the team like most of you are saying.. then we still have tanev hutton stecher along with juolevi hughes and re-sign schenn. he did a fine job playing the 5-6th role. then just fill the defense with depth defenseman

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If Edler was willing to relocate, he would easily get 6 million on the open market if not more. 

Great someone else can pay him to not show up till his next contract year..... except he wants a retirement deal so he can float 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

let him make it to the open market then?? we ain't competing for a cup this coming season.. and probably won't be till after seattle expansion kicks in.. so there's no point of signing him to a massive ntc contract.. if Juolevi makes the team like most of you are saying.. then we still have tanev hutton stecher along with juolevi hughes and re-sign schenn. he did a fine job playing the 5-6th role. then just fill the defense with depth defenseman

Juolevi just missed an entire year with a serious injury. 

We have 4 bottom pairing dmen and Tanev going into next year haha I think that we need Edler. Of course Hughes could keep on kicking ass but it’s his first year in the league. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Juolevi just missed an entire year with a serious injury. 

We have 4 bottom pairing dmen and Tanev going into next year haha I think that we need Edler. Of course Hughes could keep on kicking ass but it’s his first year in the league. 

i think you are undervaluing stecher and hutton way too much if you are calling them a bottom pairing defenseman... they are 2nd pairing at best and 2nd pairing at worse.. our defense looked crap last year without edler coz most of the time it was also without tanev too at the same time and hughes haven't made the step up to the NHL. i think we are more than capable of letting Edler walk and slowly work Hughes into more minutes.. like i said we ain't competing for the cup we don't need a 25+ mins defenseman they can easily play 16-20 mins a night and rotate on a pairing with Tanev. 

if Juolevi is not ready? then sign another bottom 4 defenseman to fill the role then.. Juolevi is gonna be worked into the bottom 4 anyways once he's in the NHL. you guys need to stop thinking like OMG we need Edler to make the playoff blah blah blah.. chances of us missing the playoff is much greater than than us making the playoff. like we need to stop over reacting.. Pettersson carried the team on his back the first half of the season... were the canucks really that good? or it was all just pettersson.. i'd prolly say it's mostlyh pettersson and the goalies playing better.. but don't let it mask the fact that we are still a bottom 5 team in terms of goal scoring.. that's been the constant theme since 2011.. we can't score.. and we don't have players up and coming to fill the role nor is virtanen magically going to turn into a 25goal scorer.. take out his garbage empty net goals dude has like 10 goals.. 

just see what we actually have on defense instead of trying to give in to a well past it's prime defenseman demand that refused to be traded for asset and refused to sign a short term deal or a long term deal without the NTC to hamstring the team. he plays 50-60 % of the season every season just like Tanev.. so every year it's like the team is bad without edler.. but then he's always injured so the team is always bad.

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think you are undervaluing stecher and hutton way too much if you are calling them a bottom pairing defenseman... they are 2nd pairing at best and 2nd pairing at worse.. our defense looked crap last year without edler coz most of the time it was also without tanev too at the same time and hughes haven't made the step up to the NHL. i think we are more than capable of letting Edler walk and slowly work Hughes into more minutes.. like i said we ain't competing for the cup we don't need a 25+ mins defenseman they can easily play 16-20 mins a night and rotate on a pairing with Tanev. 

if Juolevi is not ready? then sign another bottom 4 defenseman to fill the role then.. Juolevi is gonna be worked into the bottom 4 anyways once he's in the NHL. you guys need to stop thinking like OMG we need Edler to make the playoff blah blah blah.. chances of us missing the playoff is much greater than than us making the playoff. like we need to stop over reacting.. Pettersson carried the team on his back the first half of the season... were the canucks really that good? or it was all just pettersson.. i'd prolly say it's mostlyh pettersson and the goalies playing better.. but don't let it mask the fact that we are still a bottom 5 team in terms of goal scoring.. that's been the constant theme since 2011.. we can't score.. and we don't have players up and coming to fill the role nor is virtanen magically going to turn into a 25goal scorer.. take out his garbage empty net goals dude has like 10 goals.. 

just see what we actually have on defense instead of trying to give in to a well past it's prime defenseman demand that refused to be traded for asset and refused to sign a short term deal or a long term deal without the NTC to hamstring the team. he plays 50-60 % of the season every season just like Tanev.. so every year it's like the team is bad without edler.. but then he's always injured so the team is always bad.

One of the big reasons why goal production is low are defence. 

If we need a top 2 in defence and get rid of Edler we need to get another to fill his gap. Itvs hard enough to fins one... 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't go more then 2 years @ 3.5/4M per with a NTC/NMC & bonuses as any longer we need to protect him and risk leaving a young player avaiable (Dont know how expiring ETC's work in the rules?). I would be okay with 3 years max if it didn't include any kind of trade/movement protection. 

if he goes to free agency a team that's desperate for d-help may overpay but anything higher then 4 I would walk away unfortunately  

1 hour ago, FutureFilm said:

I wouldn't go more then 2 years @ 3.5/4M per with a NTC/NMC & bonuses as any longer we need to protect him and risk leaving a young player avaiable (Dont know how expiring ETC's work in the rules?). I would be okay with 3 years max if it didn't include any kind of trade/movement protection. 

if he goes to free agency a team that's desperate for d-help may overpay but anything higher then 4 I would walk away unfortunately  

Really, who would they lose?  Stetcher maybe?  Hutton?