The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

2 hours ago, thundernuts said:

Your correct!  It is the Canucks money to do what they deem right!  It's also Edler's right as a UFA to sign whatever contract he's able to sign, and do what he feels is right.

.. and the possibility of his hypocrisy in the matter his to..

and IF. thats the case,. I would rather not keep him.

It time for him to move on anyway,. Would probably help his game.

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. and the possibility of his hypocrisy in the matter his to..

and IF. thats the case,. I would rather not keep him.

It time for him to move on anyway,. Would probably help his game.

OK...

Anyways, if Edler moves on, who is his replacement in the lineup?  Myers and Gardiner are the only dmen available in free agency that are perhaps able to fill the void, and there is no way they sign here for a term and dollar amount that you would make available for Edler.

Trade?  OK, but what are you willing to give up?

I realize that I sound like I'm leading the Edler fan club here, but I just don't see how this team improves their defense by letting go the top free agent available on Defense.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

There are reports now that the Edler issue is now straight term and no longer the NMC.

If is has gone that far, then I think there is a good chance it gets done.

We will have to overpay in term a little, that is much less of a big deal.  We would have to overpay in term for a UFA replacement anyways.

Edler is the right age to take a decreasing role as Hughes and Juolevi (hopefully) start being ready for more minutes.

5-6 million per year for 3-4 years probably gets it done.

I would prefer three. But if four gets it done then do it. Imagine no Eddy, striking out in free agency, Tanev injured while off season training. Yikes. 

1 hour ago, thundernuts said:

OK...

Anyways, if Edler moves on, who is his replacement in the lineup?  Myers and Gardiner are the only dmen available in free agency that are perhaps able to fill the void, and there is no way they sign here for a term and dollar amount that you would make available for Edler.

Trade?  OK, but what are you willing to give up?

I realize that I sound like I'm leading the Edler fan club here, but I just don't see how this team improves their defense by letting go the top free agent available on Defense.

I don’t like Gardiner, Myers with a grain of salt..   UFAs might not be the way,  trade might have to work..  I like the idea that they were talking about Ghostbehere the other day,  and Ristolinen as well. Zaitsev is an interesting topic.. might just need a Coach like Green.

Personally I’d be ok if we had Edler in a NM for this season, but ability to expose in the Extorsion draft, and tradeable after that,  3 years 6.5 m- 6m - 5.5.

Tanev can go.

Hutton needs to be huge or he is gone before Christmas.

Dont forget we played without Edler or Tanev a lot last season.

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t like Gardiner, Myers with a grain of salt..   UFAs might not be the way,  trade might have to work..  I like the idea that they were talking about Ghostbehere the other day,  and Ristolinen as well. Zaitsev is an interesting topic.. might just need a Coach like Green.

Personally I’d be ok if we had Edler in a NM for this season, but ability to expose in the Extorsion draft, and tradeable after that,  3 years 6.5 m- 6m - 5.5.

Tanev can go.

I remember we played a lot without Tanev and Edler last year.  Do you remember our record?  Didn’t work out so well.

Removing Tanev, Edler and Hutton from an ice thin defense sounds like a recipe for disaster.  I don’t disagree that upgrades are needed, but these things take time.

Anyhow, I think overall, we agree on some things, and not on other things.  C’est la vie.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Tanev can go.

Media reported today that Edler's camp is fine with no ED protection if the Canucks add more term than the 2 years they're currently offering.

It's just negotiation 'chicken'.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Media reported today that Edler's camp is fine with no ED protection if the Canucks add more term than the 2 years they're currently offering.

If that's true just end it an give him his three years. 

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I know a poster typed this earlier but does anyone actually have a source of the story or radio feed?

1 hour ago, thundernuts said:

I remember we played a lot without Tanev and Edler last year.  Do you remember our record?  Didn’t work out so well.

Removing Tanev, Edler and Hutton from an ice thin defense sounds like a recipe for disaster.  I don’t disagree that upgrades are needed, but these things take time.

Anyhow, I think overall, we agree on some things, and not on other things.  C’est la vie.

.. but we both realize that things must change..  I prefer to let the old guard pass a this point,. Neither Tanev or Edler are mentors by any means. For the 10.5 mil we gain by losing them, we should be able to acquire someone who fits the bill.

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think Edler can spread that 2 year offer (164 games played) into a 3 or 4 year offer quite easily into IR himself, without the Canucks having to offer more than a 2 year term.

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If that’s the case then it will get done.  3years without ED protection.  We need to add to our D but not lose our best D in the process.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. but we both realize that things must change..  I prefer to let the old guard pass a this point,. Neither Tanev or Edler are mentors by any means. For the 10.5 mil we gain by losing them, we should be able to acquire someone who fits the bill.

The Canucks have the worst defence in the NHL and you think we ought to let the better ones go? You realize how bush league the Canucks back end will be right? 

JB would have to bring in at least 5 good D to the team with your proposal. How are you going to bring in that many new defencemen?

That’s not happening.

Canucks need at least 2 good  defencemen to join Edler and Tanev just to be average!

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The canucks should definitely offer up at least 3 years if that is the case he’s as good as any UFA, he’s older but won’t cost as much term or money.  His play might regress but I doubt to the level that he needs to be scratched or anything close to that.  Also wouldn’t be surprised at all if Seattle did pick him up if this is the case. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I know a poster typed this earlier but does anyone actually have a source of the story or radio feed?

Heard Dhaliwal say it in the radio. You can go listen to the archived show if you like.

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The Canucks have the worst defence in the NHL and you think we ought to let the better ones go? You realize how bush league the Canucks back end will be right? 

JB would have to bring in at least 5 good D to the team with your proposal. How are you going to bring in that many new defencemen?

That’s not happening.

Canucks need at least 2 good  defencemen to join Edler and Tanev just to be average!

But I think that is what they are trying to do..  find the 2 better D men.. and then move, or keep Edler and Tanev.

I think the emphasis is to have that flexibility with the “old guard”.

Hypothetically let’s say we land Ghostbehere and Ristolianen..  to have that moveable flexibility with a Tanev and Edler is paramount.

Tanev and Edler are a 2nd / 3rd pairing D anywhere else,.  and their health/ injury status has not helped this club.

not thinking LH or RH set ups..  but imagine..  I don’t think we are too far off.

Ghostobehere Stetcher

Schenn Hughes

Ristolianen Joulevi

Tryamkin, Hutton, Biegga, Sautner Brisboise.

45 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

That’s not happening.

This

is

true.

I’m sorry, but your sound logic has no place in this forum.

Archived