The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sharks trade Justin Braun to Flyers for 2019 2nd-round pick, 2020 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Provost said:

One can hope it means some sort or value for Tanev/Hutton.

I still think there's something that can happen with TO - Tanev 50% retained for Zaitav + RFA F + mid round pick 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

4 minutes ago, aliboy said:

That would be interesting, he may also be trying to pry PK out of Nashville, given they have only $8M of cap space and have to re-sign Josi, after which they'll have next to nothing.

Josi is still under contract this season - it's next year that he will be a free agent.  They only have RFAs Sissons and Grimaldi to sign but do want to make changes to their team. It's not certain that Subban is the one on the move though.  

1 minute ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

........ how about the ghosts of Derrick Pouliot and Brendan Gaunce?  Probably won't cost the Sharks much on the cap, and they are serviceable...... :P

Ya, they will want picks, so I don't think we are getting Dhillon. 

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

loosing Edler for nothing reminds me of when Benning lost Hamhuis for nothing

Not even remotely similar other than contract clauses we're given out by Mike Gillis in both cases....

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I still think there's something that can happen with TO - Tanev 50% retained for Zaitav + RFA F + mid round pick 

With Edler possibly not coming back I think Benning will want to keep Tanev.  It was believed that they want Hughes paired with Tanev to help him develop.  

• Upvote 1

Braun is a solid 2nd pairing RHD on almost every team in the league (one without 2 Norris-winning RHDs ahead of him, anyway). But he only had 1 year left on his deal, and the Sharks were up against it, so they did well getting this much for him.

As for Philly, the right side of their defense is suddenly far superior to what it was a week ago.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Mad and deff I guess, does he realize the media has said Benning has been one of the most active GM's in trade talks right now

True, I'm sure JB is doing his job, but I'm glad JB is not moving our picks.  

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

The trickle down effect and collateral damage as a result of the Karlsson deal - saves them $3.8M to re-sign Pavelski, but also leaves them 1 RHD short.  Maybe they think Merkley is ready?

Not so much that he's ready, but with Burns and Karlsson likely eating up a ton of the minutes on defense, they can probably shelter an ELC (or minimum salary player) whoever they choose.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

With Edler possibly not coming back I think Benning will want to keep Tanev.  It was believed that they want Hughes paired with Tanev to help him develop.  

I could see a deal still being done after free agency opens, if we're able to land Stralman e.g., it would be a 2020 pick if one was included but thats fine. But keeping Tanev and landing Stralman would be pretty nice too. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sets the market for 3rd pairing d tho - 2nd and a 3rd... can't see a top 4 going for less than a late 1st or player equivalent now. 

But but but no way Tanev is worth a FiRsT RoUnDeRz!!! Smh of course he is! Agree with you and shows what we could get it Jim just realizes we need to move on.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

loosing Edler for nothing reminds me of when Benning lost Hamhuis for nothing

Yes in that neither would waive a clause in their contract that would allow him to trade them. 

Gosh darn, tort law is annoying isn’t it?

• Upvote 1