The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

10th pick holds more value for the Canucks at their stage of development.

Does it?

10th Overall NHL Draft Picks

2016 Jost

2015 Rantanen

2014 ritchie

2013 nichushkin

2012 koekkoek

2011 brodin

2010 mcilrath

2009 paajarvi

2008 hodgson

2007 ellerby

2006 frolik

Odds are we end up with a paajarvi level player. 

Risto>paajarvi

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Given their need for someone in net given Hutton's inconsistency last season, would you trade Marky and a 3rd for something like Risto and Hutton? It would allow Demko more games in net (around 30ish) and provide both teams a position of need. 

No but I'd trade Demko.

Markstrom looked vezina caliber last season.  Demko still has a lot of question marks and his injury history is worrisome.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt we'd target Bob (unless his contract demands end up being far more reasonable than reported). But I'd happily sign Lehner, Mrazek, Varlamov , Elliott etc to tandem with Demko.

Don't sign Miller, run with Lack, trade Demko, trade Marky, sign mediocre-to-garbage journeymen... man, you are still SO determined to crater our goaltending, and tank the team in the process(!).

Bottom-dwelling is over for this team, we have to start moving back up into being competitive.  With our present D we need the best goaltending we can get to keep afloat.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Does it?

2016 Jost

2015 Rantanen

2014 ritchie

2013 nichushkin

2012 koekkoek

2011 brodin

2010 mcilrath

2009 paajarvi

2008 hodgson

2007 ellerby

2006 frolik

Risto>paajarvi

Besides those there were good players selected after the 10th.  So value is there.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't sign Miller, run with Lack, trade Demko, trade Marky, sign mediocre-to-garbage journeymen... man, you are still SO determined to crater our goaltending, and tank the team in the process(!).

Bottom-dwelling is over for this team, we have to start moving back up into being competitive.  With our present D we need the best goaltending we can get to keep afloat.

Due to lose a goalie in the ED. 

Marky needs extending next year. 

We can replace a vet goalie via UFA and allow Demko more starts while not particularly taking much (any) dip in goal tending with said UFA.

Need to give up assets to get assets.

Improved D means easier work for the goalies.

:bored:

59 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

He is over it now. My buddy in Buffalo knows him well due to BOGO partnering with his disabled military hockey team and according to him, he is clean as a whistle. 

52949255_10216882011255364_3654779618549825536_o.jpg

Awesome!!! That's great news. He would probably be someone Benning will circle back to, should he strike out with some other irons in the fire. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Does it?

2016 Jost

2015 Rantanen

2014 ritchie

2013 nichushkin

2012 koekkoek

2011 brodin

2010 mcilrath

2009 paajarvi

2008 hodgson

2007 ellerby

2006 frolik

Risto>paajarvi

The problem with this line of thinking is if you did the exact same thing with pick 14, for example, you get players like Grabner, Shattenkirk, Kulikov, Baertschi, McAvoy etc.

10's just been unlucky. I mean you can even look at 2003 and see Andrei Kostitsyn as opposed to most of the other 1st round picks of that entire draft class.  but considering how successful later picks have been, I don't think a single pick being "unlucky" is what GM's are going to look at when appraising value.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

Awesome!!! That's great news. He would probably be someone Benning will circle back to, should he strike out with some other irons in the fire. 

Absolutely not. Bogosion hasn’t played more than 65 games in a season in 9 years. Not since 2010 has he played a full season. Guys more of a bandaid than Chris Tanev and that’s saying a lot. The Canucks need guys in the top 4 that can stay healthy and not force #6 and AHL caliber D to  play roles way above their heads. 

Goalies dont generally hold alot of value & Buffalo has one of the best goalie prospects there is.

Dont want Bogo, often injured we dont need that. Risto is more interesting but hes his defensive game is lacking.

Id be alright with Risto but definitely not at the cost of our 10th pick, and I dont see what other assets we have unless they like Virtanen.

Lots of interest from the Canucks but we dont have assets. We lack depth on our roster & in our system, and we dont have extra draft picks. 

Better start preparing for Zaitsev....

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We can replace a vet goalie via UFA

:bored:

Need to open those sleepy clouded eyes and see what's happened the past 5 years here.  Get yerself some Redbull wings and fly up high enough to see the big picture... not to mention the fact Benning will NOT ever crater the goaltending the way you want.  Right from signing Miller and drafting Demko he's shown he recognizes the value and need to be solid/stable at that position.

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Goalies dont generally hold alot of value & Buffalo has one of the best goalie prospects there is.

Dont want Bogo, often injured we dont need that. Risto is more interesting but hes his defensive game is lacking.

Id be alright with Risto but definitely not at the cost of our 10th pick, and I dont see what other assets we have unless they like Virtanen.

Lots of interest from the Canucks but we dont have assets. We lack depth on our roster & in our system, and we dont have extra draft picks. 

Better start preparing for Zaitsev....

We'd almost certainly have to add to Marky FWIW. Our 2nd? Perhaps a prospect? Maybe Tanev to actually fit the match up role they've been square pegging Risto in to etc 

Do they expect UPL to be there starter as soon as this year? Doubt it. I'm thinking they want to actually start competing sooner than later and would want a solid netminder to do so and eventually tandem with/backup UPL.

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Absolutely not. Bogosion hasn’t played more than 65 games in a season in 9 years. Not since 2010 has he played a full season. Guys more of a bandaid than Chris Tanev and that’s saying a lot. The Canucks need guys in the top 4 that can stay healthy and not force #6 and AHL caliber D to  play roles way above their heads. 

What Pickly said. Fans here are down on Chris Tanev because of how often he is injured. Bogosian has missed more games than Tanev since the start of 2012/13 season which is the year Tanev became a regular. Instead of Bogosian, why not just bring back Luke Schenn at a fraction of Bogosian's salary?

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Need to open those sleepy clouded eyes and see what's happened the past 5 years here.  Get yerself some Redbull wings and fly up high enough to see the big picture... not to mention the fact Benning will NOT ever crater the goaltending the way you want.  Right from signing Miller and drafting Demko he's shown he recognizes the value and need to be solid/stable at that position.

Miller's one of those scary UFA's this summer if you want him back so bad :P

I fail to see how Demko + Lehner/Mrazek etc + 6'4 Ristolainen in front of them is 'cratering the goaltending'. 

Yay hyperbole! :bored:

Plus we have the goalie coach don't forget.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

100% Benning is targeting Bogosian, he had to let go of Gudbranson due to fan pressure and is looking to replace his truculence while addressing our RD situation. 

I doubt Benning looks through Twitter and CDC to see who he should move. Anyone with two eyes could see Gudbranson was not playing well here. From what I hear Pens fans were largely unhappy with Gudbranson too. Gudbranson had one real moment of truculence, other than that he was an often injured, okay defensive player, that brought no offence and barely mixed it up with anybody. He was a worse Tryamkin all things considered. Which is saying something cause Tryamkin didn't exactly light the world on fire in his time here.

• Wat 1