The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather not lose Virtanen AND Madden from our forward group. I was thinking perhaps Brisebois maybe.

I obviously don't want to lose them either, but they are somewhat redundant pieces here. If we can move them for a piece that isn't redundant...a piece that we desperately need, then I think we should go for it.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I obviously don't want to lose them either, but they are somewhat redundant pieces here. If we can move them for a piece that isn't redundant...a piece that we desperately need, then I think we should go for it.

Just saying I would push hard for similar value alternatives from our pool. Baer + Virtanen + one of Lockwood, Brisebois etc.

I don't want to move Madden if possible.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Just saying I would push hard for similar value alternatives from our pool. Baer + Virtanen + one of Lockwood, Brisebois etc.

I'm with you there, but it all depends on what the perceived value of our guys are. If a GM has done his homework, he'll know how much Madden's stock has risen since being drafted.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I’d be happy to move 2 or more pieces for Ristolainen as long as it isn’t one of out core guys. Not worried about our 2019 picks as they are most likely not on the move anyways. Virtanen, Madden etc. can be replaced so I’m good with that if it were to happen.

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

I really want Ristolainen over Myers and I am ok if Virtanen is part of the trade.

Absolutely agree.

I mean, I really would like to give Jake one more year (esp. with JT Miller influencing him on how to play a hard but skilled game), but Risto is just too appetizing.

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. I’d do my best to keep Madden. We are losing a 1st round pick soon, and in a redraft there’s a good chance he goes in the 1st round. We need to hang on to whatever top talent we have if at all possible. I’d be more willing to let go of Lockwood. I really like his game but not sure there is room in the next year or so for him. We’ve got more time to wait for Madden. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gotta give something to get something. 

But you do not give those who have shown significant upside, especially in just their D+1.  That's the epitome of selling low and poor projection.

4 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

He is definitely a great prospect for where we picked him but I’m certain he will be a skilled undersized winger.  If he’s needed for a top 4 PMD with size that is young on a great contract, I’d go for it.

And exactly how are you so "certain"?  Because he's light right now?  His father was the same size at his age, and ended up 5'11 190.  And it's not just his skills, he's a high-character kid with good pedigree and plays an aggressive not perimeter style.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also, I'll just point out that Lockwood's rights don't have much value now. He's signed on to college for one more year, and after that he's a free agent. He'd determined to stay here because we drafted him and allowed him the freedom to determine his own path forward, but if we move him to another team? He may just end up walking. So his rights really don't have any value right now.

Looking at our pool, how many pieces really have significant value? Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, DiPietro and and Juolevi are the pieces that come to mind. With Ulmark being just 25 and Luukkonen in their system, DiPietro probably doesn't hold much value to them. Juolevi is integral to our future, so he's out. We're obviously not moving Hog or Pod now. That just leaves one guy that might be able to entice them.

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But you do not give those who have shown significant upside, especially in just their D+1.  That's the epitome of selling low and poor projection.

And exactly how are you so "certain"?  Because he's light right now?  His father was the same size at his age, and ended up 5'11 190.  And it's not just his skills, he's a high-character kid with good pedigree and plays an aggressive not perimeter style.

All true but I’m not talking about waving him I’m talking about getting a young top offensive D with size, skill and grit.  While it certainly is possible we don’t all become the size of our parents by default.  He’s a very good prospect but I’d rather go with the sure thing for the greater team need.

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Also, I'll just point out that Lockwood's rights don't have much value now. He's signed on to college for one more year, and after that he's a free agent. He'd determined to stay here because we drafted him and allowed him the freedom to determine his own path forward, but if we move him to another team? He may just end up walking. So his rights really don't have any value right now.

Looking at our pool, how many pieces really have significant value? Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, DiPietro and and Juolevi are the pieces that come to mind. With Ulmark being just 25 and Luukkonen in their system, DiPietro probably doesn't hold much value to them. Juolevi is integral to our future, so he's out. We're obviously not moving Hog or Pod now. That just leaves one guy that might be able to entice them.

The prospect isn't the main piece in the theoretical deal. But fair enough on Lockwood.

Edited by aGENT

21 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Also, I'll just point out that Lockwood's rights don't have much value now.

If so, then how much less Madden?  Lockwood has three years to show for whereas Madden has but one.  If Lockwood hasn't much value, then trading Madden would be like a throw-in to any deal.  He has more value to us than he would in trade, plus we are in no rush to develop him and with him in a good program can ensure he gets quality development.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If so, then how much less Madden?  Lockwood has three years to show for whereas Madden has but one.  If Lockwood hasn't much value, then trading Madden would be like a throw-in to any deal.  He has more value to us than he would in trade, plus we are in no rush to develop him and with him in a good program can ensure he gets quality development.

What I mean is that Lockwood, who's already signed on for one more year of college, becomes an unrestricted free agent after this year, and while he's stated he wants to be here, that may not be the case with whoever we move him to. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

would your GM help the Leafs with their cap issues by taking Willam Nylander + picks for Risto?

Not a snowballs chance in H*ll...  He's already trying to rid the club of his younger brother as it is.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 3:29 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Sabres seem to be desperate to part ways with Ristolainen.

Sabres shopping Ristolainen

WGR 550: “Nothing much is happening around the league over the last few days. A lot of teams have turned their direction to July 1st. I was told that the #Sabres are shopping Rasmus Ristolainen hard. Nobody told me that he’s asked for a trade, but we’ll see how it turns out.”

Now may be time to move Ristolainen

Howard Simon of WGR 550: Rasmus Ristolainen is only 24-years old and has 424 NHL games under his belt already. There are plenty of “ifs” surrounding his game and if he should be traded.

Ristolainen still has value around the league and with the holes in the Sabres roster – No. 2 and at least one top-six winger – now may be the time to move him. He has three years left on his deal at a $5.4 million cap hit.

Getting back to your question Silent Sam:

Sabres seek to strengthen their top 6: why not offering Baertschi + Tanev (50% retained) to the sabres?

.... hmmmm..   it’s been an interesting day today,.  I wonder what tomorrow will bring? ;) 

With the Canucks now having a surplus of forwards and the sabres having a surplus of defence, I’m hoping the time is right for a Risto trade.  Pieces i’d be okay with in the deal include Baertschi, Virtanen, perhaps Gaud or Madden, Goldy, Stecher or Tanev if Buffalo wants another D.  I feel like value wise something could be worked out including the assets listed above

Edited by Bilbro Baggins
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Sven+Goldy+ Sutter.....I would be willing to move Guad too since Madden is looking like a gem. I don't think buffalo is looking at futures....they want playoffs. 

So you want to trade our scraps for a top pairing Dman?

Nice to be a dreamer but that's not how the real world works.  Sven/Sutter/Goldy have no value at all.  Sven is one concussion away from having his career ended.  Goldy hasn't proven that hes even an NHLer.