The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson 10th in Calder Voting

Rate this topic

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Awesome stuff, also Markstrom receiving a vote for Vezina. 

Or Johnny Hockey getting more first place Hart votes than McDavid.   I am sure some in Edmonton are super pleased about that.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nice to see Marcus Pettersson get some recognition for his solid debut for the Penguins.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-19-at-7.12.53-PM.png

Marcus Pettersson did not really make it on to my radar screen, but the nine guys above him all did. That is actually an impressive group of rookies. It is particularly impressive that Dahlin, Tkachuk, and Svechnikov were all in just their Draft +1 seasons. Kotkaniemi was also impressive in his draft+1 year and Hughes looked good in a brief appearance.

That reminds us that guys picked near the top of the draft can make an impact pretty quickly. (And of course EP and Heiskanen are only in their draft+2 years.)

And the "big 4" on the Canucks consists entirely of recent first round picks (EP, Horvat, Boeser, and Hughes). 

So I was alarmed to hear that the Canucks are considering moving their 10th overall pick. Picks in the top third of the first round are like gold and it is important to retain them and make good picks with them. I assume that the Canucks were not really considering trading the 10th overall for an older roster player. If the discussion was just about moving down in the draft (and not too far down) to obtain an extra pick, that would be okay. 

8 hours ago, xereau said:

See the look on McJeebus' face when his name wasn't called?

Dahlin too.    These guys would not be good poker players....and seemingly think they are better than everyone else.   Humble superstars are a little more to my liking.