The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I hope you are right on this one.

I don't think "right" is the word either way.   It is just chatter.   Nothing from either club but more from people around those organizations, scouts etc. and it is beer-o-clock and people chat.   Same places you hear things like who is and who isn't likely to re-sign.   Rarely 100% accurate but if you keep track of all you hear, it tends to point in a direction that is at least somewhat credible.   What amazes me is all these "rumours" one hears and people quote on boards like this - some are actually pretty legit and I wonder if the poster is actually someone I know or not.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

This makes sense.  If Colorado added say Tanev and Sutter they wouldn't have to win every game 6-5.  They are close and scoring isn't an issue for them.  They need some defensive help. 

Sakic says his primary focus is to add scoring - they didn't have enough behind their top line. 

If we really want an RHD why not shop Boeser to Minni for Dumb and this years first?

If Boeser is going to want north of $7 million....addition by subtraction

Add Dumba and Seider/Broberg or whoever is available at 11.

Go ahead, flame me.  But I just don't see the point in parting with the assets it will require to nab Barrie, or Ristolianen, or move up to 6th.

This is the year where Benning needs to sit on his hands and just shut up.  not jump the gun.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

11 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Tanev + 10th for Barrie + 16th? Canucks have to add more?

The idea of trading down with them may well be our best avenue.  I think it's been said that Colorado is open to moving that pick, and if they can up it to a 10th overall that's even more value for them.  Further, Benning has been quite candid about the players after our pick being desirable.  Only question then is valuation.  They won't want Tanev as they're trying to clear room, so we'd probably have to give up a forward... unless again, if they arrange a deal to then flip our #10 for an even better top-6.  We can then move Tanev elsewhere, and pick up a placeholder like Stralman.

Edler - Barrie

Hughes - Stralman

Hutton - Stecher

(Juolevi)

I'm liking this, a lot.  Barrie and Hughes are the only two that will "get paid" long term, and the latter not for a couple years yet.

All in all I think it's doable, and who knows, we could potentially still get "our guy" at 16 if it is indeed someone like Newhook.  Trading for BC boy Barrie, getting Jimbo that PMD/PPQB RHS dman he's desired so badly for all these years, and announcing it at the draft would certainly be splash-worthy.  Having BOTH Hughes and Barrie next year, plus perhaps Juolevi, would certainly be that D-makeover we've been looking for.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Sakic says his primary focus is to add scoring - they didn't have enough behind their top line. 

Yes I agree.  But you don 't win in the playoffs without solid defense.  Especially a shutdown D and Center.  In my opinion they need both to take the next step.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If we really want an RHD why not shop Boeser to Minni for Dumb and this years first?

Go ahead, flame me.  But I just don't see the point in parting with the assets it will require to nab Barrie, or Ristolianen, or move up to 6th.

This is the year where Benning needs to sit on his hands and just shut up.  not jump the gun.

I doubt Minny even trades Dumba for Boeser straight up let alone adding a first. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

tanev + Sutter 50% retained +Baertschi for Barrie and 2019 3rd + cap dump

Baertschi is a top 6 guy if healthy and would for sure fit in with their group

they are rumoured to have interest in Sutter, so how about sutter at 50% that would be more interesting and help with the cap we are sending their way

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, Avs and Ducks both want to know more about Sutter.   May mean nothing but who knows.....

If Avs have interest in Sutter that's certainly an avenue, if he'll waive of course.  Hopefully he's made a full recovery.  He won't give them the scoring they want, but the #10 overall could get them something pretty decent up front.

Oh if only 30-goal Loui could return...

:(

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Because Minnesota is not at all interested in moving Dumba.   Fenton and Leopold talk of how he is such a difference maker for their team and is only going to get better.

Minnesota has too many Fs for next season and might not even have a bottom pairing after their top-4 Ds.  They are willing to move Zucker because they have an excess of LW and are missing right wingers.  They also only have 1 right shot in their top-9.  

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

tanev + Sutter 50% retained +Baertschi for Barrie and 2019 3rd + cap dump

Baertschi is a top 6 guy if healthy and would for sure fit in with their group

they are rumoured to have interest in Sutter, so how about sutter at 50% that would be more interesting and help with the cap we are sending their way

if this is not enough, I would do Barrie and 2019 3rd/2nd, 2020 3rd for Tanev and 2020 1st top 10 protected

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The idea of trading down with them may well be our best avenue.  I think it's been said that Colorado is open to moving that pick, and if they can up it to a 10th overall that's even more value for them.  Further, Benning has been quite candid about the players after our pick being desirable.  Only question then is valuation.  They won't want Tanev as they're trying to clear room, so we'd probably have to give up a forward... unless again, if they arrange a deal to then flip our #10 for an even better top-6.  We can then move Tanev elsewhere, and pick up a placeholder like Stralman.

Edler - Barrie

Hughes - Stralman

Hutton - Stecher

(Juolevi)

I'm liking this, a lot.  Barrie and Hughes are the only two that will "get paid" long term, and the latter not for a couple years yet.

All in all I think it's doable, and who knows, we could potentially still get "our guy" at 16 if it is indeed someone like Newhook.  Trading for BC boy Barrie, getting Jimbo that PMD/PPQB RHS dman he's desired so badly for all these years, and announcing it at the draft would certainly be splash-worthy.  Having BOTH Hughes and Barrie next year, plus perhaps Juolevi, would certainly be that D-makeover we've been looking for.

Perhaps all the rumours we are hearing are interconnected. We are pursuing Hoffman (and allows Florida to nab Panarin and Bobrovsky), who we then flip for Barrie (Avs get a top 6 forward). Not sure where the Lucic and Zaitsev rumours fit in, but maybe for addition of picks/prospects to balance out deals.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

60+ point scoring prospects on ELCs from Minnesota are kind of hard to come by.

So are 50 point, 24 year old top pairing defenceman making a modest 6 million for 4 more seasons. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I would be all over that deal - Seider would be perfect (would need to make sure he is there at 16).

You think Colorado does that deal though? Maybe add the rights to Jack Rathbone as a sweetener?

No I don't think the Avalanche do that deal.  And I wouldn't want to add any more though to get Barrie for only one season.  We don't have enough depth in our prospects to trade any away really.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, Avs and Ducks both want to know more about Sutter.   May mean nothing but who knows.....

AVS already have Soderberg in that role.  They are missing a C2.  Sakic talks of how they are missing scoring past their top-line.  He hopes some of their young players can take the next step but the 2nd line is where they have work to do.  They also need a backup goalie.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Because Minnesota is not at all interested in moving Dumba.   Fenton and Leopold talk of how he is such a difference maker for their team and is only going to get better.

Minnesota has too many Fs for next season and might not even have a bottom pairing after their top-4 Ds.  They are willing to move Zucker because they have an excess of LW and are missing right wingers.  They also only have 1 right shot in their top-9.  

Point is, there are options out there for the team.  But overpaying to move slightly forward makes little to no sense as in the barrie deal

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

So are 50 point, 24 year old top pairing defenceman making a modest 6 million for 4 more seasons. 

Wasn't even aware they'd re-signed him let alone to that sweetheart deal

10 minutes ago, mll said:

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Perhaps all the rumours we are hearing are interconnected. We are pursuing Hoffman (and allows Florida to nab Panarin and Bobrovsky), who we then flip for Barrie (Avs get a top 6 forward). Not sure where the Lucic and Zaitsev rumours fit in, but maybe for addition of picks/prospects to balance out deals.

Canucks and Avs flip picks, then #10 to Minny for Zucker.  Perhaps it's even a three-way, where we send Minny a dman.