The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

So, realistically speaking, what type of numbers should we expect Pod to put up next season? I know when we were tacking Peter, the general consensus was that a .5 PPG average would have been acceptable, a PPG average would have been spectacular, and anything above that would have been....well.

So, what type of numbers if he underperforms? If he meets expectations? Exceeds expectations?

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am sure lots of other people have the same reactions as me.

1. When we got past #8 and Zegras was still available I was hoping he would still be there at #10 for the Canucks to take. From the looks on the faces of the Canuck group I bet they were thinking the same thing.

2. I was wondering if the Canucks could pass on Podkolzin at #10. He was obviously the highest rated and no doubt the most talented player available, but the Russian factor is a genuine risk.

3. With Krebs, Soderstrom, Boldy, Caufield and Newhook all still available, I thought the Canucks might trade down. I would have been delighted to trade down and get Krebs or Newhook at 14 or 15 or 16 and maybe get an extra 2nd round pick.

4. It is too bad that Podkolzin is signed in Russia for the next two years. In the last few years we have seen Hughes make a late appearance in his draft+1 year, EP be the best player on the team in his draft+2 year, and Boeser make an impressive late season showing in his draft+2 year. Podkolzin won't be around until his draft+3 year. But, hey, he might be another Calder candidate when he does show up.

5. It was a bit alarming to hear him do his interview through a translator. Reminds me of Tryamkin.

6. But, overall, I can't complain about this pick. He could be the steal of the draft. And i have to respect Benning for making this pick.

7. At least he will be in the World Juniors for the next two years.

I was hoping Zegras would fall to us too, but was delighted when they made this pick.  Krebs or Boldy would have been safer from a p.r. point of view, but this was a pure bpa pick that has a bigger chance of being a home run.  Really respect Benning for making this call and am proud of cdc for seeing Podkolzin for the player he is and not flipping out because he's Russian. 

• Upvote 1

I wished we had used an actual translator for the interviews and not just one of our scouts.  You can tell he obviously speaks the language but is not a used to being a professional translator.

Edited by 73 Percent

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

ESPN version of the draft analysis

https://www.nhl.com/video/canucks-draft-f-podkolzin-no-10/t-277350912/c-68506703

Craig Button sees Podkolzin as a Bulldog - needs to mature to do less, because he tries doing too much by himself.  But because the big ice surface requires him to slow the pace of the game down which doesn't suit his game style.  Thinks Vasili will benefit from playing on the NA ice surface where things are done fast.

Bob Mckenzie thinks he could be a steal like Evgeny Kuznetsov and Vlad Tarasenko were taken late in their respective draft years, and Washington and St  Louis had to wait 4 seasons for them to come over, he is positive that the 2 years is all that we will have to wait.

Wow. Lol. the comps to Tarasenko and Kuznetsov is amazing lol. 2 years not 4!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brobidus said:

I have a feeling Podz would do a lot better with Petey. An element missing on that line is a puck hound to get Petey the puck a little more often. Add Podz other skills, and you've got the workings of a crazy line. But they will need a pretty elite LWer to complement them. Also, Bo and Boeser have already played together. 

I can't wait to see the Russian Freight Train, and hopefully he can play alongside Groot.

He also sounds like a guy that would not be happy if his line mate absorbs a bad hit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Start of the year:

Pavel Datsyuk LIKE. According to Craig in his ability to keep the puck.

Goosebumps watching those highlights. He has all the tools.  There is no reason he couldn’t be the best player in this draft.  So glad we shot for the moon rather than a safe pick like Soderstrom or Krebs.

• Cheers 1

I know there is that russian factor and he has a deal in the KHL for 2 more years, But...if we drafted say a College kid or CHL kid they would be 1-3 years away anyway...

I would hope they did their homework on him, he will need to learn to speak english over the next 2 years, dont think he can pull a Tryamkin and just not speak to the media...

Hope it pans out for us, we need all our 1sts to pan out and hit or break through their projected ceiling.  Have a couple that are to be determined still or with Jake the team just needs to stick him in the top 6 and let him learn and develop.

I have to think JB would have taken Zegras but Ana snagged him, best of luck to to Podkolzin and hope he can be an elite top 6 winger for us in short order! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, realistically speaking, what type of numbers should we expect Pod to put up next season? I know when we were tacking Peter, the general consensus was that a .5 PPG average would have been acceptable, a PPG average would have been spectacular, and anything above that would have been....well.

So, what type of numbers if he underperforms? If he meets expectations? Exceeds expectations?

Depends how much ice he gets as an 18 year old in the KHL. The first benchmark that really interests me will be his upcoming performance in the next WJC. 

What I loved hearing yesterday is that if it weren't for his contract, he could almost play right away for us. Being that close to ready to play in the NHL at 17 (almost 18) is special. This kid's you know what have barely dropped and he's already a star. I wanted Zegras and was super sad he didn't fall one more spot to us, but now I'm really thinking we just stole VP and hit another draft home run. When he joins us in two years he is going to be more than ready and barely turning 20.

Get this guy some English lessons! 

Edited by Jester13
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What I loved hearing yesterday is that if it weren't for his contract, he could almost play right away for us. Being that close to ready to play I'm the NHL at 17 (almost 18) is special. This kid's you know what have barely dropped and he's already a star. I wanted Zegras and was super sad he didn't fall one more spot to us, but now I'm really thinking we just stole VP and hit another draft home run. When he joins us in two years he is going to be more than ready and barely turning 20.

Get this guy some English lessons! 

Yeah how often do you see 17 year olds ready for the NHL? Last one I remember was Sasha Barkov.

I'm all for giving him the 2 years. We waited 2 years for Brock. I'm fine waiting 2 years for Podkolzin.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 2