The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm really happy with this pick. I like getting him instead of Zegras. Podkolzin just brings so much more to the table IMO. 

I don't know if he will bring 'more' but I'd agree that he has skill sets we've been lacking.  I feel Zegras has MORE overall high end skill, BUT his style is closer to what we already have in Petey.  Whereas Pod, I believe has complementary skills to Petey and make our team, as a whole, more complete.

Edited by Rodishred

34 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm really happy with this pick. I like getting him instead of Zegras. Podkolzin just brings so much more to the table IMO. 

The fact Jim and Judd love him so much.. makes me love him like 10x times more lol. I really liked him but the confidence in his draft stock plummeted so hard I started to lose faith in the kid. I need to better prepare for next seasons draft. i didnt know nearly enough about this years crop

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rodishred said:

I don't know if he will bring 'more' but I'd agree that he has skill sets we've been lacking.  I feel Zegras has MORE overall high end skill, BUT his style is closer to what we already have in Petey.  Whereas Pod, I believe has complementary skills to Petey and make our team, as a whole, more complete.

I just think Podkolzin has a greater overall impact on the game. Zegras is flashy, quicker, better distributor/playmaker. But he won't kill penalties, win battles, fight in the dirty areas or be the physical presence that Podkolzin is. Probably not as much of a scorer either. 

Its just style vs substance thing for me.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The fact Jim and Judd love him so much.. makes me love him like 10x times more lol. I really liked him but the confidence in his draft stock plummeted so hard I started to lose faith in the kid. I need to better prepare for next seasons draft. i didnt know nearly enough about this years crop

It happens, I wasn't very prepared for last years draft outside of most the top guys.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

For those of you that know him a little better than most, how well does Podkolzin use his linemates? His goals all seem to be beauties, but a huge chunk of them are individual efforts. 

WOW!!!

You hit the nail on the head.

That's exactly my takeaway from all the videos I watched.

Key question for me: Can he do this kind of stuff in the best league, the NHL?

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

I just don’t get why we always gotta butcher names on draft. Makes us look stupid, especially when we are the host team.

like if you scout these kids all year, interview them, talk with them, like them, can you not get their name right? 

Also if your gonna have Stan read it, have him practice the names in the top 10 and your trade down targets. It was a brutal speech, he sounded like he’d been hit in the head or was ESL.

This was B.R.U.T.A.L.

When you know that you are on the stage in front of the audience you prepare yourself. 

Last year Mike Modano made fun of Jamie Benn because it took Benn quite some time preparing himself to speak out the name Ty Dellendrea correctly.

Craig Button:

Instead, he foresees Podkolzin assuming a valuable complementary role, like the Chicago Blackhawks' Dylan Strome - a top-six forward with the ability to score 60-70 points per season.

Podkolzin about playing on a line with Gusev & Datsyuk:

Podkolzin's first opportunity to skate alongside high-end pros came when he made his KHL debut with SKA last November. After idling on the bench well into the third period of a blowout win against HC Avtomobilist, the head coach sent him out for a shift with two of SKA's leading scorers: Nikita Gusev, who left Russia in April to sign with the Vegas Golden Knights, and former Detroit Red Wings legend Pavel Datsyuk.

Podkolzin - who told the KHL's website at the time that his legs were shaking as he left the bench ::D- wound up taking 14 shifts across three games with SKA this season, averaging 3:30 of ice time per contest. Between those call-ups and his international obligations, he only got to play 14 games with SKA-Neva, the franchise's farm team, and 12 with SKA-1946, its major junior affiliate.

Podkolzin about draft day:

Speaking via a translator at the NHL Scouting Combine in Buffalo earlier in June, Podkolzin said his sole hope for the draft is for his name to be called in the first round::rolleyes: "Whatever that number is, that'll be the number."

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Craig Button:

Instead, he foresees Podkolzin assuming a valuable complementary role, like the Chicago Blackhawks' Dylan Strome - a top-six forward with the ability to score 60-70 points per season.

Podkolzin about playing on a line with Gusev & Datsyuk:

Podkolzin's first opportunity to skate alongside high-end pros came when he made his KHL debut with SKA last November. After idling on the bench well into the third period of a blowout win against HC Avtomobilist, the head coach sent him out for a shift with two of SKA's leading scorers: Nikita Gusev, who left Russia in April to sign with the Vegas Golden Knights, and former Detroit Red Wings legend Pavel Datsyuk.

Podkolzin - who told the KHL's website at the time that his legs were shaking as he left the bench ::D- wound up taking 14 shifts across three games with SKA this season, averaging 3:30 of ice time per contest. Between those call-ups and his international obligations, he only got to play 14 games with SKA-Neva, the franchise's farm team, and 12 with SKA-1946, its major junior affiliate.

Podkolzin about draft day:

Speaking via a translator at the NHL Scouting Combine in Buffalo earlier in June, Podkolzin said his sole hope for the draft is for his name to be called in the first round::rolleyes: "Whatever that number is, that'll be the number."

It may be the number but it can't be his number

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Pod has great hands around the net, an EP like one-timer, an accurate wrist shot and plays like a bull ( Bo ) but already has Bo's speed.

I am thinking he could help us within a year or so....I hope Jimbo can work it out to get him over hear for 2020-21...!

I think he could help us right now. Honestly believe he could step into an NHL lineup today. But kinda glad he won’t, because he’s still “in progress” as far as his development, and I’m almost happier to see him continue in Russia for a couple years, rather than upset the apple cart too early and stick him into an NHL lineup at 18. I think when he finally comes over, he’s going to be an instant impact player at the NHL level. 

I’m still so jacked about this pick. I love Pod’s relentless playstyle and aggressive puck pursuit. Just that aspect of his game alone likely earns him a role on an NHL team. High motor and work ethic. Coaches love guys like this, as do teammates. But Pod combines that puck hungry attitude with some legitimate high end skills, which is a truly rare combination. He displays “plus” level abilities in so many skills areas. Just a massive toolbox with this kid. Combine that with a big body, high motor, strong work ethic, pace, pressure, aggressiveness, and attacking mindset. His ceiling is so damn high—like legitimate star NHL player high. If he somehow puts it all together to reach his peak potential, it’s not hyperbole to say he could become the best player taken in this draft.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1