The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see him in the top 3 scorers on the team.   He will likely create situations for his linemates and they will be very productive.

Probably 20g/60pts at best.  Shane Doan kind of player.  Finally a power forward for the Nucks!

U really underestimate his shot IMO. 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't see him in the top 3 scorers on the team.   He will likely create situations for his linemates and they will be very productive.

Probably 20g/60pts at best.  Shane Doan kind of player.  Finally a power forward for the Nucks!

I think that's basically his ceiling. I just worry that he won't hit those heights. While I love his tenacity and grit, I don't see any one aspect of his game that I would consider "elite", nor do I see a multidimensional offensive game like Horvat's that would allow him to put up points in a multitude of different way. 

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think that's basically his ceiling. I just worry that he won't hit those heights. While I love his tenacity and grit, I don't see any one aspect of his game that I would consider "elite", nor do I see a multidimensional offensive game like Horvat's that would allow him to put up points in a multitude of different way. 

We never thought of what would become of Horvat, many of us pegged him mostly as a 3rd liner, but look at where he’s at now.

Continue to put these low expectations on Podkolzin and let’s make him exceed our expectations.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think his stick/puck handling at a high speed, as well his immense determination are elite.  He is a fearless player and will do about anything to win.  These are the attributes of a player that will perform well when the game really counts.  No floating with this guy.  A lot will be determined during his developing years, but he does have the defensive game already, which likely makes him a 3rd liner at the very least.

I don't know if he has the hockey sense of Horvat or the scoring ability that will make him an elite player.  He doesn't need to be an elite player to be a guy that makes a big difference for the team.  I think he will be a core player, that is one of the pieces that can win a SC.  Huge effort every night and a winning is everything attitude.

Guys like Hartnel, Doan, Kreider, etc. may not be the elite darlings of hockey, but they sure make their team hard to play against.  And a lot of fun to watch and cheer for.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think his stick/puck handling at a high speed, as well his immense determination are elite.  He is a fearless player and will do about anything to win.  These are the attributes of a player that will perform well when the game really counts.  No floating with this guy.  A lot will be determined during his developing years, but he does have the defensive game already, which likely makes him a 3rd liner at the very least.

I don't know if he has the hockey sense of Horvat or the scoring ability that will make him an elite player.  He doesn't need to be an elite player to be a guy that makes a big difference for the team.  I think he will be a core player, that is one of the pieces that can win a SC.  Huge effort every night and a winning is everything attitude.

Guys like Hartnel, Doan, Kreider, etc. may not be the elite darlings of hockey, but they sure make their team hard to play against.  And a lot of fun to watch and cheer for.

I hope you're right, obviously. I'm just worried because there really aren't any Russian players in the NHL that have a statistical profile to Podz. Most of the ones in the NHL  dominated their U16/U17 and VHL years. I just have this horrible feeling that the "He didn't get any points, but he played really well" is going to be a theme throughout his entire career. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

He may not be a ppg player, but I think others' comparisons to Horvat are apt: he's noticeable and plays hard even when he doesn't score or have the puck. 

And I love that about him. I really do. I don't want to seem like one of those trolls that actively roots against players and prospects just to prove a point. I want him to prove me wrong more than anything, but it's just difficult for me to see him becoming any more than a 3rd liner player/middle 6 player at the NHL level. This was a worry of mine after we drafted him, and although I don't put a ton of stock into these types of tournaments, it's sort of reaffirming my fears that he'll be one of these guys that plays hard every shift but just can't hit the scoresheet on a consistent basis. Not to say that I think he's a one dimensional player as a whole, because that would be objectively wrong, but that the offensive aspects of his game are pretty one dimensional imho. If one particular aspect of your game, be it your shot, your puckhandling, etc... isn't elite, I think a player needs a multidimensional offensive game and the ability to finish in order to be an effective top 6 NHLer, and I'm just not seeing that out of Podz. 

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And I love that about him. I really do. I don't want to seem like one of those trolls that actively roots against players and prospects just to prove a point. I want him to prove me wrong more than anything, but it's just difficult for me to see him becoming any more than a 3rd liner player/middle 6 player at the NHL level. This was a worry of mine after we drafted him, and although I don't put a ton of stock into these types of tournaments, it's sort of reaffirming my fears that he'll be one of these guys that plays hard every shift but just can't hit the scoresheet on a consistent basis. Not to say that I think he's a one dimensional player as a whole, because that would be objectively wrong, but that the offensive aspects of his game are pretty one dimensional imho. If one particular aspect of your game, be it your shot, your puckhandling, etc... isn't elite, I think a player needs a multidimensional offensive game and the ability to finish in order to be an effective top 6 NHLer, and I'm just not seeing that out of Podz. 

I hear ya. I think it's fair to have concerns about prospects, and I don't take it as being a troll.

I agree that his shot or puck handling, for examples, aren't elite, but what he does have is elite compete/motor/200 ft game. If he turns out to play on the 3rd line with, say, Gaud and Virt, and they play a hard and fast and heavy game, I think those three could produce enough scoring depth with a heavy compete game to really complement our top 6, which could also complement nicely our cap situation moving forward. The fact that he plays the game that he does at such a young age also bodes well for us. Another Horvat on our 3rd line? Yes please.

U20 touney...just turned 18 and playing against 19 year olds...next year we will see his potential when he is the senior guy....just like when he played in the Hlinka/Gretzky as a senior...11 pts in 5 games...as for becoming a man at 24 years old...that's 6 years away and a lot of developing and strength gain if he keeps getting bigger and stronger...gotta a feeling this guy will be Messier 2.0

15 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed, that's where I see him for production level too........though it depends who he plays with.  However, like Jake and Bo, his impact will be heavy in other areas of the game too.  He's going to be a pretty complete player I think.

42 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He won't be an offensive juggernaut, but I think he's a pretty sure thing top 6 fwd who plays in all situations.  Very similar to Bo, imo.

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

U20 touney...just turned 18 and playing against 19 year olds...next year we will see his potential when he is the senior guy....just like when he played in the Hlinka/Gretzky as a senior...11 pts in 5 games...as for becoming a man at 24 years old...that's 6 years away and a lot of developing and strength gain if he keeps getting bigger and stronger...gotta a feeling this guy will be Messier 2.0

11 hours ago, stawns said:

He won't be an offensive juggernaut, but I think he's a pretty sure thing top 6 fwd who plays in all situations.  Very similar to Bo, imo.

Just some random thoughts these quotes brought up

1. When against his peers he shows well (11 pts in 5 games)

2. He was a 1 1/2 younger than most on the ice, and looked very strong in puck handling and skating

3. I think he looks to be a much better puck handler and skater than BO, already

4. He is only a shadow of what he will be when fully mature...…..(Like everyone else, 24 year old Pod would beat up 18 year old pod) just saying

Just remember his draft bio where they said he was one of only a few that could play in the NHL now...….I think he will be fine

IMO, he was dominant against older competition

• Cheers 1