The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

from my understanding he s way to defensive minded. on a large amounts of plays he had prefered to stay behind and prevent a counter attack than help the others forwards. 

he's not carring the play, he does not keep the puck to be creative enough. he's on the second line now, but it seems he still have the 4th line defensive duties in mind. 
maybe he s afraid to make a mistake and be demoted i don't know.   

16 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

In Russia you play like the coach tells you to play. Since he has announced that he is leaving for the nhl, that may not endear him to his Russian coach or to Russian management and ownership.

Podkolzin is conscientious defensively, on the Russian junior team at the worlds he also organized the power play - and was very good at it. Offensively, though, he was thinking the game at another level than most of his teammates - made a lot of high percentage setups that his team mates did not cash in. 

big picture thinking, SKA won the game 3-1 and Pods contributed 20:27 minutes:seconds of ice time. Team first kind of guy in my books. The W matters.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

He s still raw and this year will be huge for him if Kudashov lets him on second line.

Kudashov was replaced with Valery Bragin (former head coach of the Russian junior team for many years) in June 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Podkolzin found himself back on the fourth line again today.

4th line minutes and they lost 4-1....they need to move him up a couple of lines and play him more...maybe they will have a better chance at winning.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:49 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

In Russia you play like the coach tells you to play. Since he has announced that he is leaving for the nhl, that may not endear him to his Russian coach or to Russian management and ownership.

Podkolzin is conscientious defensively, on the Russian junior team at the worlds he also organized the power play - and was very good at it. Offensively, though, he was thinking the game at another level than most of his teammates - made a lot of high percentage setups that his team mates did not cash in. 

Eh. Wasn't anything close to Petey I  that regards. I was seeing NHL level plays from Petey and his teammates had no idea they should have been there, with Podkolzin I'm finding NHL level hands but really not seeing anywhere close to the iq that Petey had at the juniors. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 4:15 PM, deus.ex.makina said:

What a game from Podz. He played like a real top 6 and did everything he lacked on previous games. His buddy Kuzmenko (#96) carried the line less than the others games, and Podz has been able to show his offensive tools this time
-drove the net with protecting moves 

-worked the blue line to create space 

-kept  the puck instead of quick passes

-hustled like a daemon when dumped the puck

-as usual won battles in corners

-and took a lot of good shots.

even without breaking the scoresheet he’s already ahead of a lot of bottom 6 guyz in Vancouver for sure ; and i would not put my money on guy like Pearson if i need to compare with some top 6. 

But let be honest we don’t need another Hansen or Cooke. We need a bonafide top 6 winger. He s still raw and this year will be huge for him if Kudashov lets him on second line.

So let me get this straight he isn't going to be a ppg first liner for us off the get go like half of CDC thinks is what you're saying??? 

Podz is a very intriguing prospect but it's no coincidence that he's kept off the score sheet more often than not. So whether he's a top 6 winger remains to be seen. Could be he's a player that's not top 6 on his own merits but creates space and opportunities for the likes of EP, Bo etc. on a level that makes him top 6 anyway. Still concerned that he really doesn't seem like a finisher. Will be interesting to see his game in the WJC, he's still very young and raw and playing against his peers might paint a different picture.

On 10/10/2020 at 5:59 AM, J-P said:

Podz is a very intriguing prospect but it's no coincidence that he's kept off the score sheet more often than not. So whether he's a top 6 winger remains to be seen. Could be he's a player that's not top 6 on his own merits but creates space and opportunities for the likes of EP, Bo etc. on a level that makes him top 6 anyway. Still concerned that he really doesn't seem like a finisher. Will be interesting to see his game in the WJC, he's still very young and raw and playing against his peers might paint a different picture.

he's drafted to be a top 6 player if not, scouting should be fired oh wait, he left, lol

On 10/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, J-P said:

More of a finisher than Lafreniere when they went head - to - head .........

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/hlinka-gretzky-cup/stats/2018-2019

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1