The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

11 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Not assuming anything of the sort. Simply pointing out that the author of that article states that Podkolzin, with 6 points in 21 games 'hasn't had the breakout many expected from his second KHL season' but Amirov with 6 points in 19 games 'has continued to open eyes'. Both are strong, legitimate prospects in their own right with strengths and weaknesses but both have essentially the same production in the same league and one is praised and the other is criticized. To me this demonstrates bias. 

Pod was a higher draft pick with higher potential. His expectations are higher. 

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Pod was a higher draft pick with higher potential. His expectations are higher. 

I'm not sure 5 places in the first round is THAT Much of a higher pick. I really don't see a big difference is draft position (10 compared t0 15) and age, so I don't see why expectations should be higher for Pods.

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

10th overall ranked much higher. In his draft+2. 

Who's being biased now.

Podkolzin is only 3 months older than Amirov. He missed out on the 2019 draft by 2 weeks and was one of the oldest 1st time eligible players in 2020. So both have same development time. So why is one praised and the other criticized. Both have early to mid first round pick expectations. Both are almost identical ages. Its comparing apples to apples

26 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Podkolzin is only 3 months older than Amirov. He missed out on the 2019 draft by 2 weeks and was one of the oldest 1st time eligible players in 2020. So both have same development time. So why is one praised and the other criticized. Both have early to mid first round pick expectations. Both are almost identical ages. Its comparing apples to apples

3 months often means an entire season in hockey. 

Guy was ranked as the 3rd best prospect for most of his draft year and slipped a little bit in the draft. Probably a combination of reasons being lack of production, Russian factor and being a winger. However this kid has all the tools in the toolbox to be an all situations top 6 winger! Those acting like he isn’t a top prospect will soon change their minds probably as early as the juniors tourney.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Guy was ranked as the 3rd best prospect for most of his draft year and slipped a little bit in the draft. Probably a combination of reasons being lack of production, Russian factor and being a winger. However this kid has all the tools in the toolbox to be an all situations top 6 winger! Those acting like he isn’t a top prospect will soon change their minds probably as early as the juniors tourney.

Well, he just led a junior aged team to a dominating victory in a men's tournament. If that wasn't enough to change someone's mind, I don't think anything he could do against other junior aged kids would do it. Some people just like to take a negative position based on nothing and then hang on to it.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

when you own someone in a post using FACTS and LOGIC...

5e62ad5c6e4d0.image.jpg

Lol no ones being owned here. This isnt grade 6 dodgeball

Pod is susceptible to criticism just like every other player on the planet. A player selected and ranked higher in the earlier draft will be held to higher expectations by analysts, media and fand alike. 

This isnt eastern bias. Which is what is being debated here.

Edited by 73 Percent

47 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Pod is susceptible to criticism just like every other player on the planet. A player selected and ranked higher in the earlier draft will be held to higher expectations by analysts, media and fand alike. 

Did you get owned in grade 6 dodgeball? I realize the sport isn’t for most kids. 

• Haha 1

Holy, I never expected this debate to blow up the way it did. First thing I want to make clear is I have a lot of respect for 73 Percent as a poster on CDC. I completely agree with his opinion that prospects are fallible and should be open to criticism for mistakes. I also respect the position  that we need to take off our rose colored glasses when it comes to our prospects, they aren't all Hall of Famers, and most won't ever make an impact in the NHL let alone play a single game in the league. That being said...

I still feel that that particular article is demonstrating clear bias. As I feel Podkolzin and Amirov are clear comparables. Both are almost the exact same age, they play similar positions (both are wingers), both have been developing in the same leagues (at the same times), both were drafted at almost the exact same position (I don't care about where players are ranked by pundits or couch scouts, only where they were actually drafted as that is where the actual league or team scouts saw them ranked based on their peers) and yet one is praised for 6 points in 19 games in the KHL and the other is criticized for 6 points in 21 games.

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

5 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Did you get owned in grade 6 dodgeball? I realize the sport isn’t for most kids. 

20 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I dominated grade 6 dodgeball. Always number 1 pick until grade 10 when a new kid showed up and sent me packing within seconds.

Let's just chill and play some rec-league dodgeball one day :)