The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

To devil's advocate, it could be that the author is spot on and Podz is not the reincarnation of Bertuzzi, but rather is just Sandlak reborn.

But I prefer the Professor's opinion - Podz is the second coming of "he who shall not be named"

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ahh yes, a propaganda article screaming propaganda. Can't wait til he's out of there. Even if he doesn't step in and make an immediate impact in the top nine, at least he'll have a professional NHL organization backing his develop.

He'll be given every opportunity to grow, AHL or otherwise. 

Seems to me they’re the ones putting unrealistic expectations and labels on him. 

Like if he fails to score playing on the top line it’s back to being a scratch. 

Is there not a spot in the bottom 6 that can earn him regular minutes?  From all the reports that I’ve seen (even from Russian sources) he plays a style that would allow him to thrive there.

That’s where I think the NHL has it right in terms of development. You start out in the bottom 6 and craft your two way game and then once you have the trust of the coach you move up.

This seems like if he doesn’t meet their expectations of what a top line player should be he gets no minutes. That’s hardly gonna help his confidence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I find it some what strange that the writer could not understand or acknowledge the offensive output when away from SKA.....

Playing against men in the last tournament, he dominated.........

Playing for Larionov he gets the coaches praise................It seems to me, that the writer is not proud of his comrade

With the World Juniors close at hand, Larionov  will keep an eye on him.............

IF there is one thing more important than the KHL to Putin , it is how he looks on the international stage...........

His World Junior team is important, IMO.................Pods will get the royal treatment until then, which may explain why he is not playing

Funny, but I could see him defecting, while here.............If that happens, remember I said it!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I particularly like the part when he said Vancouver hasn't done anything for the player... Kinda hard to do that when SKA own his contract, and likely wouldn't let us do anything anyways. Maybe this will spur Benning to talk to Pods' camp about buying out his KHL deal after the WJC.

Do they retain his rights if the deal is bought out?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Seems to me they’re the ones putting unrealistic expectations and labels on him. 

Like if he fails to score playing on the top line it’s back to being a scratch. 

Is there not a spot in the bottom 6 that can earn him regular minutes?  From all the reports that I’ve seen (even from Russian sources) he plays a style that would allow him to thrive there.

That’s where I think the NHL has it right in terms of development. You start out in the bottom 6 and craft your two way game and then once you have the trust of the coach you move up.

This seems like if he doesn’t meet their expectations of what a top line player should be he gets no minutes. That’s hardly gonna help his confidence.

From what I've read about Podz since we've drafted him he should be more than capable of playing a bottom six role at the very least, his effort rarely seems to be in question. And he's a very respondible, hardworking player defensively. Boom or bust top line minutes vs out of the lineup or bottom line minutes seems like a wonky decision for a team that aims to be competitive. Young players don't usually make waves at the KHL level, but they're suffocating his ability to thrive at that level, which would benefit both parties. His team throwing him on the lop line after being scratched is telling, it shows that they think he can produce but also that they're not as invested in facilitating that production by altering their usage of him. 

I don't imagine he'll have many issues with Green or Cull, dude hauls ass and is committed to growing his game. I doubt he expects things to be handed to him, but it's hard to earn things when being yoyo'd be your organization. Canucks have more riding on his development than Russia does imo, they've gotta be the second most invested party in him elevating his game after Podz himself. I think all he needs is an extended opportunity with realistic expectations for a young player, but it needs to be in an appropriate role. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Tbh while that is a propaganda article and poorly done, there is some pertinent points in it.

he is 19 and his points aren’t exactly great. But he will develop and they would improve. Also he is an SKA player regardless of the NHL draft, his development to date has all been in the Russian system so they are right to ask what the Canucks have done, when the North American media is howling that they are ruining him. 

if you take a look at it from a non Canuck, non NHL viewpoint, players get brought up and developed in the European systems (including the KHL) and the then get poached by the NHL. It will be frustrating and tiring to see your players pulled out from underneath you time and time again, and then to be getting constant criticism about that player you built up before they have even left the team is just taking the biscuit. 

im not overly fussed about their usage of  him, their rosters are larger, he is young and still a bit streaky and players getting top line minutes ahead of him are producing more l, so while we all want him there from a team trying to win perspective I get it. The fact that he was dropped to the VHL is actually a good thing as it was giving him consistent   game time. That’s something we see all the time in the NHL. A youngster could come up and be around the line up and make some impact but then dropped down to the AHL with a view of giving them more consistent minutes.

development isn’t always about getting to play on the top line for 20 mins a game. It also happens behind the scenes, in training, in the job they are assigned etc.

7 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

wtf is wrong with the KHL and media over there, are they purposely tryna drown him?

Same strategy they’ve used for decades.

Either sign an extension with us or we’ll derail your development.

Thanks to guys like Mogilny at least Russian players don’t have to fear for their lives coming over here anymore.

The sooner we get him over here and in a bottom 6 role the better.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Same strategy they’ve used for decades.

Either sign an extension with us or we’ll derail your development.

Thanks to guys like Mogilny at least Russian players don’t have to fear for their lives coming over here anymore.

The sooner we get him over here and in a bottom 6 role the better.

I would prefer he was playing in NA right now, but where? The KHL teams have to make a monetary and development decision on players who likely leave for NA. Just as we debate about giving up and coming prospects TOI versus established vets, the debate goes on. If Russia truly wanted to stop the flow of talent to NA they could easily do that by making passports disappear. Do we go back to the Mogilny days? I doubt it as such treatment would threaten more critical sectors that actually make big money for Putin. Pressure on family, playing time and exposure in key tourny's probably works for some. I guess another aspect would be the willingness for Russian vets in the NHL going back to play for Russian national teams would be impacted if harsher treatment was handed out. Just imagine if Ovy decided not to play for Team Russia. 

Pods might have some disappointments this season but IMO it wets his desire to come to Vancouver. I just hope that the Canucks are in regular contact.    

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Do they retain his rights if the deal is bought out?

Not sure how KHL rights work, but I wouldn't really expect him to want go back at any point if that happens, or even if SKA wants his rights after that propaganda hit piece.

EDIT: did some digging, found this from the KHL cba: 

https://www.khl.ru/documents/KHL_legal_regulations_2020_eng.pdf?_ga=2.219185433.1241379354.1606749825-1257453532.1605401755

Article 32. Early termination of the Standard KHL Hockey Player’s Contract at the Hockey Player’s initiative

5. The Club with which the Hockey Player terminated the Contract at his own initiative, reserves its rights to such Hockey Player for the term that is equal to the period left until the date of the Contract expiry, namely:

a) the Club is granted the right to execute an exchange contract with another Club in relation to any rights to the Player (subclause c, clause 8, Article 38 of the KHL Legal Regulations);

b) upon the Contract expiry, the Club reserves its right to extent the sports rights in relation to the Hockey Player under 29 years by sending him a contract offer via KHL CIB Electronic Base.

So it would seem that SKA would hold his rights until the end of the contract, then they would have the opportunity to offer what would equate to an NHL qualifying offer to retain his rights further (though they've already offered an extension that was rejected).

Edited by Chickenspear