The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I doubt Pods or Hogs beat out Horvat and move him off the PP1 in two years....

Unless EP improves his faceoffs dramatically in two years, Horvat's biggest asset on that PP unit is winning possession for it to do it's work in the offensive zone. I'm not sure if Pod will be the net front presence like Bo would be either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I doubt Pods or Hogs beat out Horvat and move him off the PP1 in two years....

I like Horvat on the draw. Of course, it depends on how you plan face-off strategy... whether you play to win or intentionally lose the draw.  Many teams plan to lose the draw and anticipate losing and establishing puck recovery pressure as soon as the puck is dropped. A lot of drawn pucks end up on the wall or force the defender to the wall for recovery.  Penalty killers like to play inside the team with the advantage.  Pinning a defender against the wall and recovering the puck can enhance the man advantage by trapping one of the four defenders against the wall with the fore-checker closer to the net than the defender.

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I like Horvat on the draw. Of course, it depends on how you plan face-off strategy... whether you play to win or intentionally lose the draw.  Many teams plan to lose the draw and anticipate losing and establishing puck recovery pressure as soon as the puck is dropped. A lot of drawn pucks end up on the wall or force the defender to the wall for recovery.  Penalty killers like to play inside the team with the advantage.  Pinning a defender against the wall and recovering the puck can enhance the man advantage by trapping one of the four defenders against the wall with the fore-checker closer to the net than the defender.

I don't know how many teams plan on losing a faceoff on a PP. You tend to face good faceoff men on a PK and they don't simply power back a draw as hard as possible. This is why centermen tell their guys where to position themselves and they try to draw it to them and on a PK, it's a quick out. Your strategy may work the odd time, but the majority of the time, you'll be chasing the puck from back in your own zone. It may be a strategy that is tried on occasion, but not regularly. The PP gets the advantage of starting in the offensive zone, so generally teams will try to win possession to maximize their 2 mins and set up right away rather than risk the chance of starting back in their own end.

It's generally more neutral zone draws that some care less about winning (eg Malkin).

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

There is no question that if this guy was in the US development league or the CHL or even Sweden, he would have been top 5.  The Russian thing scared people away, period.

We were lucky to get him just like Hughes at 7 and EP at 5.  The NHL's system keeps screwing us but 3 years in a row JB has pulled a rabbit out.  I think he will be the most loved Russian we have ever had.  He is a leader, big, strong, fast and skilled.  Fearless as well from what I can see. Great pick!

EP had nothing to do with luck. Benning and crew ranked him above others and targeted him despite him being ranked lower by most.

Most loved Russian we ever had? Going to be a heck of a career to surpass the retired number 10, so let's hope so.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

EP had nothing to do with luck. Benning and crew ranked him above others and targeted him despite him being ranked lower by most.

Most loved Russian we ever had? Going to be a heck of a career to surpass the retired number 10, so let's hope so.

I am saying it was lucky for us that nobody else saw his true worth.  Just like, I think, Hughes.

I think Bure is a love/hate, we loved watching him play but the way he left us still leaves a bad taste.  I think that VP will last longer and leave no doubts that we love him, that's all.  He is named captain to important teams and seems to be a great team guy.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am saying it was lucky for us that nobody else saw his true worth.  Just like, I think, Hughes.

I think Bure is a love/hate, we loved watching him play but the way he left us still leaves a bad taste.  I think that VP will last longer and leave no doubts that we love him, that's all.  He is named captain to important teams and seems to be a great team guy.  

Excellent point DW.  It’s shockingly fortunate that Petey, Quinn, and Pods all fell into our laps.  To have that happen three years in a row is crazy lucky.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sam Cosentino really really likes Podkolzin, you could tell on draft day coverage before and even after Pods was selected.  I heard from another podcast where he thought he was the third best prospect in the draft and should have gone after Hughes and Kakko

Considering he watches a lot of prospects particularly in the CHL and overseas, I trust his word that we got a steal at 10. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 8/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, theo5789 said:

Unless EP improves his faceoffs dramatically in two years, Horvat's biggest asset on that PP unit is winning possession for it to do it's work in the offensive zone. I'm not sure if Pod will be the net front presence like Bo would be either.

totally agree but not worried about EP improving in anyway, he's so focused and determined he'll master anything I'm sure

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

totally agree but not worried about EP improving in anyway, he's so focused and determined he'll master anything I'm sure

agreed.  He can juggle on a unicycle and is incredibly intent on being the best.  He will be a solid faceoff guy by his 3rd year.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1