The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

So far this season Podkolzin played 2 games in MHL (4 assists, average ice time 15:35), 9 games in VHL (1G, 3A, average ice time 15:50) and 10 games in KHL (zero points, average ice time 4:25). He has been playing for SKA-Neva (VHL) recently.

Good.  Seems like the VHL is the best for his offensive development. 

• Cheers 1

I read somewhere that the MHL actually has a higher point equivalency to the NHL than the CHL, which is pretty suspicious but encouraging. The MHL loses their more talented players to the VHL and KHL as soon as those players are ready to make the jump (for example Dorofeyev made the jump to the KHL this year), whereas the CHL retains their better players longer (for example Smith really should not be in the WHL this year). I would think that having better players equates to a having a better league scoring wise, but possibly not. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I read somewhere that the MHL actually has a higher point equivalency to the NHL than the CHL, which is pretty suspicious but encouraging. The MHL loses their more talented players to the VHL and KHL as soon as those players are ready to make the jump (for example Dorofeyev made the jump to the KHL this year), whereas the CHL retains their better players longer (for example Smith really should not be in the WHL this year). I would think that having better players equates to a having a better league scoring wise, but possibly not. 

The Wilson Method NHLe calculation puts the MHL at 0.31, which would be around equal or slightly higher than the translation factors for the OHL and WHL, and definitely higher than the QMJHL. More standard calculations put the MHL slightly lower than the CHL leagues, but not significantly (some recent calcs had the MHL at 0.24 and the QMJHL at 0.25).

In general, it’s not far off, statistically speaking, although stylistically there are definite differences, and I’d say the team-to-team and game-to-game consistency/quality is more wide ranging in the MHL compared to the CHL.

Still, I think the MHL get seriously underrated and that many draft eligible players putting up big numbers in that league should be compared nearly apples to apples to top prospects from the CHL, when comparing scoring production for draft rankings and the like.

Same goes for the USHL, which actually rates very similar to the CHL. I mean, had Bobby Brink scored 50 goals and 100 points in 68 games in the OHL (vs 68 points in 43 USHL games), he’d probably have gone much higher in the draft than 34th overall. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The Wilson Method NHLe calculation puts the MHL at 0.31, which would be around equal or slightly higher than the translation factors for the OHL and WHL, and definitely higher than the QMJHL. More standard calculations put the MHL slightly lower than the CHL leagues, but not significantly (some recent calcs had the MHL at 0.24 and the QMJHL at 0.25).

In general, it’s not far off, statistically speaking, although stylistically there are definite differences, and I’d say the team-to-team and game-to-game consistency/quality is more wide ranging in the MHL compared to the CHL.

Still, I think the MHL get seriously underrated and that many draft eligible players putting up big numbers in that league should be compared nearly apples to apples to top prospects from the CHL, when comparing scoring production for draft rankings and the like.

Same goes for the USHL, which actually rates very similar to the CHL. I mean, had Bobby Brink scored 50 goals and 100 points in 68 games in the OHL (vs 68 points in 43 USHL games), he’d probably have gone much higher in the draft than 34th overall. 

I'd wager that the translation factors look at someone's whole career, right?

What I mean by that is say there was a player who put up 1 PPG in their draft year in the MHL. Then in his draft +1 and draft +2 years he plays in the KHL. After that, he makes the jump to the NHL. Would his NHL production then be used in the calculations for the MHL equivalencies even though he didn't come straight from that league? 

To me that makes sense in terms of comparing the MHL to the CHL. Players in the MHL go on to develop further at the VHL and/or KHL level almost all of the time, whereas there are far more examples of players going straight from the CHL to the NHL (I can't think of a single example of someone going from the MHL straight to the NHL). So essentially, an MHL factor should be used to evaluate VHL/KHL production almost exclusively and then we talk about NHL translations from there, whereas the CHL factors can more often be compared to NHL numbers in a straight line (with the possibility of AHL translations as well). 

Good MHL numbers = good VHL/KHL numbers = good NHL numbers

Good CHL numbers = good NHL numbers (for the players who can make the jump)

Obviously in general and no in every single case. 

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think with the MHL, there's the Russian factor, particularly if you're not a top prospect.  Right or wrong, you have to be exceptional to be drafted out of Russia as a first rounder (not including Russians playing in North America).  Teams simply don't use a first round pick on the MHL equivalent of a Barrett Hayton, or a project like Ryan Merkley. 

For Brink, he's a 5'8" winger who has issues with his skating.  DeBrincat had 101pt in 60GP in the OHL in his draft year and went 39th.  That may seem low now, but there are ten Jordan Schroeders for every DeBrincat.  Take Taylor Cammarata, who played with MacKinnon at Shattuck St. Mary's for bantam and midget.  Cammarata had 170pt in 58GP in bantam; MacKinnon had 101pt in 58GP.  Cammarata had 139pt in 54GP in midget ; MacKinnon had 93pt in 40GP.  He was drafted #1 overall into the USHL when MacKinnon was drafted #1 overall into the Q.  He won rookie of the year, then put up 93pts in 59GP in his draft season, identical PPG as Brink.  That season, he led the USHL in goals and points and was named Player of the Year.  The only issue was he was 5'7" and an average skater -- not bad, but not elite either.

Cammarata ended up getting drafted #76 in 2013, when MacKinnon went #1 overall.  After four years of college hockey, he's now in his third season in the ECHL.  Maybe Brink will turn out to be DeBrincat, but far more of these guys become Cammarata, which is why they tend to drop in the draft, regardless of where they played.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I really find it difficult to gauge how good a prospect is until I see him play for a while in the AHL. 

I think this will be good for his development, but I will reserve judgment until I see him play for Utica. 

I don't think he is going to need any more time in the AHL than Petey, Brock or Quinn did. You know that the KHL is a higher level of play than the AHL, right?