The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

No, fans like you panicking a week before free agency is exhausting. 

Does it really need to be explained why us trading away a first round pick is a bad idea?

Benning supporters defend him no matter what. He could trade Boeser for Jason Zucker & they'd find a way to spin it. 

Its almost as exhausting as giving up 1st for Miller, 2nd+prospects for Gudbranson, 3rd for Pedan, 2nd for Vey, exc. exc. exc.

Ugh :bored:

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Leafs situation and our situation are completely different. 

Yeah the Leafs have too many holes to fill with limited cap space and will be stuck as a contender not good enough to make the next step. 

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

As the poster above said they are no longer in cap crunch thanks to Callahan's back.

They are now at 71 mil for 16 players. They need to resign Point.  They were and still are in cap trouble.  How much will point cost? Then they will still need to add 5 more players.

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Ya the Canucks are too stupid to think about these issues bro, they just think in a vacuum. Maybe you should call up JB and tell him about the salary cap, he probably hasn't heard of it. SMH

??? They obviously thought it. They thought they would be competitive by 2021 with the current core after spending to the cap. Do you not read? My concern is that if we DON'T make the playoffs AFTER spending to keep everyone together, something is seriously wrong. Don't make things up that I didn't say lol. Maybe YOU should call JB because it looks like you're the one overreacting. Lmao. "SMH" 

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The POINT IS BABY BABBA, He was compared to Kelser and Dubinsky because of his style of play and physical edge. You then say he's compared to Raymond and where you got that from who knows, but CLEARLY, Kesler vs Raymond are two very different players right? And if you took the friggen time to read about his STYLE of play even back then when he was drafted, you see, that he CLEARLY does not play like Mason Raymond. Then add in his size and ask yourself, would be saying he's a perfect fit for Petey if he was a 6'1 219 lb mason raymond?

It seems you're on here just to bitch and moan - grow up

I didn’t compare him to Raymond, he was compared to Raymond, I didn’t say I agree that he’s Raymond.  I said JB got fleeced on a terrible trade that doesn’t make us a better team at the cost of what we paid.

I do like Miller's versatility. Top six winger who can step into the center position if a center gets injured. 

If the Canucks are good enough to make the playoffs in 2020/21 I'm good with this trade. Little scared by Miller's past playoff disappearances but that can be rectified in a single playoff run. 

Edited by Duodenum

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does it really need to be explained why us trading away a first round pick is a bad idea?

Benning supporters defend him no matter what. He could trade Boeser for Jason Zucker & they'd find a way to spin it. 

Its almost as exhausting as giving up 1st for Miller, 2nd+prospects for Gudbranson, 3rd for Pedan, 2nd for Vey, exc. exc. exc.

I'm not really a Benning fan, but by the reactions in this thread you'd think he personally massacred everyone's dogs and cats. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

It seems you're on here just to bitch and moan - grow up

Damn, you’re knee-pads must be crazy strong.

Enough with the homerism and blind thumbs up. We bitch and moan about irrational moves. It’s nice to make logical decisions every now and then. 

Like I said, let’s trade our 2022 1st for Zucker & 2023 1st for Barrie while we’re at it...and if I hear any complaining from you OR anyone, you’re idiot haters. Am I doing this right? :picard:

Edited by Generational.EP40

If first round draft picks are the cornerstone of cup champions- they oilers would have been back in dynasty mode. Look at Detroit - penguins - blackhawks - kings .... all had a couple of first rounders then built up the added parts in great later round draft picks and free agents.

the Canucks will have cap issues 3 years from now with potentially up to 5 first round draft picks on the team. It’s time to start the focus on the other parts to build this team.

miller at the trade deadline would cost a first - so for the same price we get him the whole year and the next 3 after that.

you have to pay to get and if the Canucks drafted a first round top 6 forward that we knew would be 50 points plus and signed for 4 years .... we would be happy

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Yeah that's why I'm confused. I'm getting conflicting messages here. Podkolzin pick sounds like long term thinking, Miller deal sounds like short term thinking. 

We should not be thinking short term yet. We still have work to do long term. 

Every player available at 10 would have been a 2 year wait. It's not long term thinking it's just thinking.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Get real.

stop playing absurd straw-games

you should worry about what comes out of your own mouth as opposed to putting nonsense in those of others

this is a multiples better deal than acquring a Zucker, or Skinner, etc would have been.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well let's look at JT Miller.  He's had 22, 22, and 23 goals the last four years before his 13 goal season last year. I think that he'll be improving a bit more since he's 26.  

At 5.25 million/year, he's on a fair deal.  In fact, if you look at how much guys like Hayes (7 million) and Brock Nelson (6 million for 6 years) have gotten, you could argue that JT Miller is on a good deal.  

He's not your Marleau or PK Subban type bad deal.  So this was a hockey trade.  

We will most likely be giving up a 20th overall pick here.  3rd pick is negligible and Mezanek going back to them is a bit of a plus on our side as we shed a contract.  

I don't feel strongly either way with this trade.  Could be a bust of a draft next year and we could be looking at a middling prospect being drafted by Vegas that never amounts to anything. Not thrilled about a 1st though. 

I dont think there is any evidence that we will be a top 10 team in the league in the next 2 years.  Evidence would tend to suggest we have more likelihood picking in the bottom 1-10 rather than 20-31.  No evidence at all to suggest we are a playoff team.  Most likely the pick will be 10-16

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 2