The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Marleau had a no-movement clause - so it's possible the Leafs had lots of other buyers, but that he wanted to go to a team in a window - which seriously complicates things, would have significantly reduced the Leafs leverage and can account for a 1st round pick having to be spent to move one mere year of term.

Carolina is expected to buy him out.  He wants to sign with San Jose.  

His family has moved back to California.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Putting up 50 points on the 4th line is even more impressive.

He could put up 60-70 here alongside Pettersson and Boes.

Never played on the “4th line”, as some of you are alluding to.

Started off the year with Kucherov and Stamkos, but that line wasn’t clicking. Then got gradually bumped down the lineup when other guys started to pick up their game. Ended up playing with Killorn and Cirelli as a “shut down” unit. Even still he got to play with Stamkos the majority of the season.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

^^^

Makes sense, a decent sized guy that can handle a heavier game and can take draws while EP is still growing that part of his game. Miller is coming off a 47 point season, but had 58 and 56 the two seasons prior. Looks like he gets assists more than goals, so he could be feeding guys like EP and BB after creating space for them. Keep in mind Tampa generally signs guys for lower than market value due to tax reasons, so he's likely actually signed to a lower dollar figure than normal (despite TB dumping him for cap reasons).

The 1st we give up next season is at worst the #16 pick. And if we don't make the playoffs, hopefully we continue the trend to be better and make the playoffs the following year.

Manzanec and the 3rd are really minor in this case.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Not what I said. If we don’t even make the playoffs, we could still theoretically win this trade if the Lightning end up drafting a Gaunce. However, if they hit the pick out of the park, the expectations will have to be proportionate. 

Again, we need to wait to come to a conclusion. 

Can't disagree here. I don't know if we've won or lost the trade either. I'm glad we're at least trying things and have constantly been telling people in trade proposals how they will likely be disappointed when they find we don't make a miraculous trade and stupidly in our favour like their proposal entails.

It would be nice to see GMJB absolutely fleece another team's GM in a trade, but that doesn't happen every day. In terms of fair market value, the Canucks got pretty much what they gave up. They didn't win, they didn't lose. It hurts to lose a 1st rounder, particularly given Benning's prowess in such matters, but we needed a Top 6 forward desperately (and a Top 4 D-man) if we want to see the postseason next year. GMJB got us that T6 fwd. Now he just needs to bring in a Top 4 D and we've got a legit shot at the playoffs. Solid move. You're not getting a 20-goal scoring 3rd liner with the skill to play top 6 minutes and a former 1st rounder for nada. Sure, you could argue that Tampa needed to get rid of Miller's contract so Benning should have squeezed them harder, but otherwise, this was a good hockey trade. 

1 minute ago, KeslerWho? said:

Why do we need another C? 

Remember how crippled we were and overplayed Horvat when Sutter and Beagle (and even EP) went down almost all around the same time? Miller can play all 3 forward positions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

RFAs yes but man there's Baer, Loui, Sutter, Spooner so much badness.

If Sutter and Baer are healthy they are solid. But the chance of that happening is low.  Spooner will be in Utica for depth and I think Loui is gone.  I hope with all of his cap space.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

$5.25M for a 50 point player? Bargain.

What's not a bargain is a first and a 3rd. Cost of doing business? I don't dispute that.  

This sorta deal might have made sense when so many Cole Lind's were ready we would not need next years pick. 

For now, it appears the pundits who felt Jim was under the gun were right?

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

"Keep in mind the 1st is conditional. If it turns out to be a high end pick, we have bigger issues at that point."  - The Lock

So you can say "if" to defend yourself and accuse me even though I said "if" too?

Get real dude.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Deep with mid-level talent. There’s not many top 6 forward groups that are thinner than the Canucks unfortunately. 

I disagree.  

Miller   Horvat   Pearson
Baertschi   Pettersson   Boeser 

looks a lot better with *____  JT Miller in the lineup ! 

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I like him as a player I just dont think we needed to give in and offer a 1st thats all. But like 1 or more posters have said Miller at his cap hit >>>>Hayes at 7yrs and what 7m per haha!

The thing to keep in mind is Tampa has to wait for the first and it's all but guaranteed to be a bottom half first round pick. This means Tampa is likely waiting anywhere from 3 to 5 years for any real payoff on the trade while we have an instant reward for the next four years. If the guy was only worth a second would Tampa be willing to wait up to two years for the pick? No. But they're willing to wait for a first even if it will be a bottom half first. They got a step up from a high second in exchange for waiting up to two years. It really isn't a bad deal for us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Never have too much of a good thing.  We were weak in winger prospects and Podkolzin won’t be here for two years.  We’re upgrading really well at forward looking to be one of the better offences next year.  Now we just need some defence changes and with what benning has been saying and done so far, you bet it’s gonna happen and we might be making some noise next year.  Yes it is a bit of an overpayment in my opinion but just think, this guy is similar to horvat who was 9th overall...we’re giving up a worse pick to get Miller.

I don't hate it. Just seems like a lot to give up for the wrong need. Does he play LW or RW? We couldve gotten by next year with our forward group and potentially have Podkolzen join us next year. I don't think we can get by with our current D next year