The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I know.

It's Baertschi for a 2nd, and Granlund for Shinkaruk all over again right?

those trades dont compare, we took a player who didnt fit with tampa and had a 5m cap hit they wanted to shed, that should have easily lowered the price to NOT have a 1st round pick involved

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

With the value Benning gets in trades he’ll have to give up a 2nd to offload Tanev to a contender and take a nice 3rd liner back.

Yaddayaddayadda  the sky is falling, I dont know ****,blah,blah,blah

That's all I hear when these types of fans post.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Because when most of our young core is in their prime Miller will be over 30 and probably closer to his mid 30's.

Miller has been bad in the Playoffs. He has 3 goals in over 60 playoff games on some good teams. 

The thing is, we could've just said no to this deal. There was no mystical force saying that the Canucks absolutely had to acquire Miller or else. It's not that hard and Miller is not a good enough piece back to warrant giving up our 1st. 

Did you watch the playoffs?  Teams win with players that range from 25-30's

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

those trades dont compare, we took a player who didnt fit with tampa and had a 5m cap hit they wanted to shed, that should have easily lowered the price to NOT have a 1st round pick involved

Lol couldn't fit in. Hilarious. 

The expiring Brayden Point contract and them needing 2 more players is why Miller was moved not because “he couldn't fit in.”

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Van Riemsdyk

Neal

Lee

Zuccarello

Nyquist

Johansson

Radulov

Let's just forget that there's 30 other teams and that we're not just going to get these players in FA even if we tried. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I know.

It's Baertschi for a 2nd, and Granlund for Shinkaruk all over again right?

Decent trades.  Canucks fwd group looks deep right now especially with the addition of Miller and late season acquisition Pearson.  Leivo or Baertschi or other winger going to take spots in the fwd group from Miller, no way.  Canucks have solid futures, great two picks this year, really point out to the mix of skill and determination fwd identity Canucks are building     

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yaddayaddayadda  the sky is falling, I dont know ****,blah,blah,blah

That's all I hear when these types of fans post.

Rose rose rose JB is god, we don’t need picks, first round playoff exits are what we build for.... 

two can play your stupid little little game son. 

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Alright.  Hey, if you’re right then Benning will be long gone.  There’s that bright side to look forward to!

I trash Benning but I hope I'm wrong and he succeeds.  I always think the Canucks should do this or that.. but I have no idea how to clean up the mess if this team is still bad in 2 years. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Comeback_Kings said:

Decent trades.  Canucks fwd group looks deep right now especially with the addition of Miller and late season acquisition Pearson.  Leivo or Baertschi or other winger going to take spots in the fwd group from Miller, no way.  Canucks have solid futures, great two picks this year, really point out to the mix of skill and determination fwd identity Canucks are building     

Deep with mid-level talent. There’s not many top 6 forward groups that are thinner than the Canucks unfortunately. 

OMG trading a first and third pick for a utility winger who has only scored over 20 goals once???? Benning has got to go !!!!Don't let him at the Free Agents we already have to many overpaid unproductive ones he has signed previously. The owners should be ashamed letting this idiot run The Canucks

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

I trash Benning but I hope I'm wrong and he succeeds.  I always think the Canucks should do this or that.. but I have no idea how to clean up the mess if this team is still bad in 2 years. 

Oh easy, scorch earth everything. 

We can get a whole boatload of picks trading Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Demko, and Pettersson. 

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

All the BS that the owner tried to sell about not mortgaging the future was just that. BS

benning has an agenda to make the playoffs or he will be gone. 

God forbid they intend to make the playoffs at this point.

They have EP, Boeser, Horvat - core players up front - with Virtanen - Podkolzin, Gaudette, and a range of other good prospects in the system.

They have an elite young pmd Hughes,  Juolevi on the way, good supporting veteran and young pieces like Edler, Tanev, Stecher - Tryamkin likely returning in due course.

Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro.

And they have some excellent hard minutes veterans - Sutter, Beagle - and young two way forwardst - to help enable the top ends of their roster.

I think you folks going on about 'mortgaging' the future - are really over-reacting.

They need a piece or two in the present - clearly need a heavy RHD to add to the mix - but they are anything but spending themselves out of a future.

The future is rich with young talent.   They don't need volumes of picks moving forward - they just need to hit on average moving forward and they will be more than fine.

Moving one 1st round pick to find an excellent complement to your Calder winner and one of the best young snipers in team history  - if you people find that unreasonable, perhaps you don't realize that this isn't a bank account that you're saving for retirement - there is a point at which you use a bit of that wallet to buy what you need in the near future.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I'm still expecting a trade for a defenseman.

The Barrie deal could still happen, but if fans didn't like giving up a 1st, I'm guessing they're not gonna like giving up guys like Virtanen, Gaudette, DiPietro, and Woo. A deal involving Stecher, Sutter, a top prospect, and a 2nd could still happen. 

I think we're in a moment where player for player deals--even with a player like Virtanen--sting less for fans than high pick for player deals. 

Over the last 5 or so years the draft has been the best part of the year. And the only real time Canuck fans feel like we're in it. Trading a first rounder is a signal that mngmt is trying to steer us back into contention but some aren't ready to let go of the infinite (mostly imaginary) hope the first round offers. That's my take on some of the vitriolic backlash we're seeing today.

The reality is any first rounder would be considered a success if he managed to turn into a JT Miller. So we gave up the chance to draft a JT Miller for JT Miller entering his prime.

Would I have preferred not give up the first? Hell yeah. ...because the first round of the draft has become one of my favourite parts of the year. Hoping JB can recoup a first this off season or next.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Who said he wasn't a fit?

They weren't in a position of desperation like some people are trying to portray. They had many options to get under the cap.

This was the best deal for them because it was a fair trade for both sides.

How would you feel about giving up a 50+ point 26 year old former first rounder in his prime for less than a 1st? It wasn't that long ago that fans thought we could get a 1st for Tanev and Miller has way more value. Gotta give some to get some, that's what Canucks fans need to be reminded of.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So you're just going to expect the worst? Is that what I'm reading here? We'll have to agree to disagree on this but I get that some people can't stomach gutsy moves.

I said "if" so I don't think that's an expectation.  Also I'm replying to a worst case scenario that YOU presented not me.  So I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Also I like gutsy moves, I don't like garbage trades. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

they definitely have some talented scouts and management down in Tampa. Dont see us getting much from our picks other than a few top lotto selections that should be no brainer quality NHL players, even then Jake isnt fitting the bill for his selection and I can only hope he gets a proper shot to play top 6. 3rd liner is not what you want when draft a winger 6th overall! OJ, well lets hope he can stay healthy should be a serviceable D hopefully in the near future.

You need a home run player if your taking a W early in the 1st, D and C are so much more valuable and harder to trade for if and when you need one...see the JT miller trade, a team looking for cap relief still managed to get a 1st for him. 1st should never have been on the table imo

Life goes on, just please no Tyler Myers signing at a cap hit north of 6m for 5yrs or more...

Yup. Tampa Bay is such a well run organization.

They've had a good sense of direction for years, they drafted, they stockpiled assets, and when their franchise players were ready to carry them they were able to spend those assets adding around them. (Like the McDonagh/Miller deal).

They've also been able to maintain assets, not letting assets die on the vine like other teams have (wink, wink). They moved Brett Connolly for two 2nds, they traded Anthony DeAngelo for a 2nd, they got Erik Cernak & picks for Bishop, now they are getting a 1st for Miller. This is a team that drafts well outside the 1st round & maximizes value on there assets.

Thats the organization we should strive to be like. 

As for Myers, I'm expecting a full court press from the Canucks.