The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yup. Tampa Bay is such a well run organization.

It’s easy to look good when you have a 100+ point guy develop from a 2nd rounder and a 92 point guy develop from a 3rd rounder.  Win a couple top-3 picks for Stamkos, Drouin and Hedman...  and benefit from having no tax on contracts to circumvent the cap.

Yep they’ve made nice moves but they’ve been damn fortunate too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

right cause they signed him for over 5m to be a top 6 guy then got passed by younger cheaper contract players and was on the 4th line during the year. Tampa just has a wealth of offensive talent, hasn't led them to a cup tho. Surprised they didnt ask for Tanev retained, guess they want the picks to continue to find gem players that can play on the elc and be effective for them

He was on the 3rd line and Tampa drafts and develops very well, there is a reason they have stayed competitive for about a decade now...

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It should be about building an organization that can win the Cup. Aquaman said making the playoffs was not that important. He said he wanted to see an organization that would always be competing. He made it clear that they would not sell the future for a short term fix. Then they do this.

Do you think that Miller makes us a playoff team? Do you thing that this defense will take us anywhere close to the playoffs? I could have rationalized the Barrie rumor but not this. 

Miller makes us significantly better in the top 6.  Hes an amazing addition. 

I'm as unhappy about trading the 1st as anybody.  But I think we have our core set.  Now we have to fill out around them.

Our D needs an absolute ****load of work though.  I definitely agree with you there.

Edited by CanuckGAME

Just now, stawns said:

Did you watch the playoffs?  Teams win with players that range from 25-30's

I think that's the point people have a problem with.

The Canucks aren't a playoff team and by the time our core is ready for primetime, Miller will have played out his deal and not even be a Canuck anyway.

So what's the point of this deal when draft picks are the currency in today's NHL and 1st rounders in particular are gold and usually not handed out unless they're part of a deal the brings back a very good player, high pick and/or prospect/or cap relief.

To trade our 1st round pick for a middle 6 forward imo, especially for a team still rebuilding it's higher end prospect pool, is something I just can't get my head around. 

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

right cause they signed him for over 5m to be a top 6 guy then got passed by younger cheaper contract players and was on the 4th line during the year. Tampa just has a wealth of offensive talent, hasn't led them to a cup tho. Surprised they didnt ask for Tanev retained, guess they want the picks to continue to find gem players that can play on the elc and be effective for them

Putting up 50 points on the 4th line is even more impressive.

He could put up 60-70 here alongside Pettersson and Boes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, mpt said:

If its a late 1st, no biggie, no clear evidence that our pick will be anywhere near there.  We aren’t like the Penguins where you can assume a playoff spot.  We could easily be a top 10 pick as much as a 20-31 pick.  Likely in the 10-16 realm.

The bigger problem is, do you really think in the next two years we couldn’t fetch a player better than Miller with a 1st round pick involved.  We now have to hold onto a 1st round pick due to the condition in this trade.

If you think Miller is the best player that we can acquire in the next two years that needs a 1st rounder to acquire, then go ahead and make the trade.  This trade doesn’t seem like very good asset management to me.

List of 1st round picks that have been traded over last few years.

2014: TBL trade Martin St Louis to NYR for 1st, Ryan Callahan and conditional 2nd.  Buf trades Vanek to NYI for 1st, 2nd, Matt Moulson.  Buf trades Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to Stl for 1st, conditional 3rd, Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier.

2015: Philly trades Brayden Coburn  to TBL for Radko Gudus, 1st, conditional 3rd.

2016: Chi trades Andrew Ladd, Jay Harrison, Matt Fraser to Wpg for 1st, conditional 3rd, Marko Dano.

2017: Arizona trades Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, 4th to Min for 1st, 2nd, a conditional pick, Grayson Downing.  Stl trades Kevin Shattenkirk, Phoenix Copley to Wsh for 1st, conditional 2nd, Zach Sanford, Brad Malone.

Compared to these trades, I would argue we got good value for our 1st (as long as it's not a top 10 pick). Most of the players in these trades were leaving or outright out of their prime years, trending downward or on expiring contracts. We get a player in his prime, locked into a reasonable contract for the next 4 years (If you don't think it's reasonable, just wait til FA hits and you see the contracts being given out).

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Thats the organization we should strive to be like. 

As for Myers, I'm expecting a full court press from the Canucks. 

We should but we arent and Myers is a 2nd pair D, not worthy of a long term commitment too with a high cap hit. He literally was Winnipegs 3rd pair RHD behind Buff and Trouba.

Got my fingers crossed Winnipeg will try and keep him...

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Exact same thing could be said about trying to trade for a good player.  Jesus. 

Yeah, and we happened to be the team that beat out others potentialyl getting Miller this time. It's called being realistic.

There's a competition out there. It's what drives the market.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Give Tampa a 4th and Lukas Jasek. Anything else is overpayment.

Remember that Tampa is in cap hell apparently.

Stop pretending like this was a good deal.

JB overpaid like he does most times and he did to a team that was in cap trouble yet we even added a sweetener with a 3rd. Makes no sense and this trade has a lot of blow-back potential. Even This is a really stupid trade and leap of faith to make. It’s a productive 2nd liner we’re talking about who disappears in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Miller is fine but you should be using first round picks for top end talent or to improve the very poor D corps. 

That top 6 is still really void of top end talent outside of petty and Brock. Bo is a heart and soul stud 2nd line centre the the rest of the players are role guys. I’d challenge you to find 3 worse top 6 groups in the league. 

Miller will play with Brock and Pettersson so they used a first to add to their first line. Miller will fit in well as a heavier player that can battle on the boards. 

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

those trades dont compare, we took a player who didnt fit with tampa and had a 5m cap hit they wanted to shed, that should have easily lowered the price to NOT have a 1st round pick involved

Again, his cap hit is reasonable for what he brings. Cap strapped or not you'll get value when trading a good player with a decent cap hit. Every team with cap space is willing to trade for that kind of player and there was no ntc to limit trade partners. Meaning there's competition to make a deal. You're not going to take a beating on a trade in that situation regardless of your cap situation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Baggins said:

Again, his cap hit is reasonable for what he brings. Cap strapped or not you'll get value when trading a good player with a decent cap hit. Every team with cap space is willing to trade for that kind of player and there was no ntc to limit trade partners. Meaning there's competition to make a deal. You're not going to take a beating on a trade in that situation regardless of your cap situation.

I like him as a player I just dont think we needed to give in and offer a 1st thats all. But like 1 or more posters have said Miller at his cap hit >>>>Hayes at 7yrs and what 7m per haha!