The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the thing IMO few NHL defensemen will be sucked in with the pass to himself off the back of the net. They'll be tight to him and will not give him the room to double back. It certainly looks good but it's the SEL, come on guy

Still looks good and it's the NHLB)

2 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Who cares if Hoglander can or cannot score a lacrosse-style goal in the NHL?  Nobody's winning the Art Ross by potting 50 of those.  We're talking about a move that might work once every other season.  It has no bearing on anything.

The point is that he had the presence of mind to bypass the defenseman by using the back of the net to pass to himself, and the stickhandling skills to grab the puck and tuck it in on the far side.  The creativity and puck control that he showed is what's promising.  Those are attributes that could make him a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

This is why we can't have nice things.  A prospect scores a pretty goal and suddenly he's going to lose his teeth the next time he tries it.

I will also add that it was the presence of mind to pull this off with a defender nearly right on top of him. I've never seen anyone do it with anyone in close proximity and that's what makes him special in my mind.

7 hours ago, Major Canucks Fan said:

People miss the point about this kid. It's not the lacrosse goal, it's what he did before the goal. Here was a 1 on 1 battle that he had a 50/50 chance at the beginning. He eludes the defender that was all over him, banks the puck to himself. The defender was still in the vicinity (note all the other lacrosse goals whereby the player is all by himself behind the net, this one is different as he had a defender on him when he did it). The kid has the mindset to actually try this. It's like the avalanche commentors on Petersson's between the legs  move last year: "How do you even think of that?". He is a in one on one battle behind the net and has the awareness to pull this off, that's the amazing part. 

"That's Hockey" disagrees with you. They like the skill and the goal but they correctly state Hogs had time behind the net because the defender was not on him. The defender went back to the front of the net.

Not sure what you watched but I agree with the commentators.  

Awesome goal either way. :towel:

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I just hope it doesn't put a target on his back. People don't really take kindly to hot dogging. May offend a few of the wrong players. Doing wacky stuff in a shootout is one thing, but to embarrass a team on the ice. I dunno, maybe I am worrying about nothing but hey such is the life of a hardcore fan I guess.

Did you hear what other NHLers said about the lacrosse goal?  They were praising it and saying it takes immense skill to do it. Svech did it in the NHL and the other NHLers were saying it was crazy.

I don't think your take on this is lining up with real life. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guys in the NBA didn't like getting dunked on 50 years ago too.  There was no forward pass in football.  IMO it would be cool if the lacrosse method to control the puck became more prevalent.  It may never, because the the impracticability you point out, but the game can evolve, and methods of controlling the puck is one area that has never really changes.  

One could ask why a player doesn't try this is a SO. He doesn't have to worry about a checker and how does a tender defend against it? It was a big deal when the first between the legs goal was scored and yet you see it more all the time. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

One could ask why a player doesn't try this is a SO. He doesn't have to worry about a checker and how does a tender defend against it? It was a big deal when the first between the legs goal was scored and yet you see it more all the time. 

Well for one thing every one I've watcher perform this trick is pretty well stationary rather than skating @ 25 mph  ::D

20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the thing IMO few NHL defensemen will be sucked in with the pass to himself off the back of the net. They'll be tight to him and will not give him the room to double back. It certainly looks good but it's the SEL, come on guy

are you new to canucks hockey or did you just skip the 20 or so years with the sedins?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

"That's Hockey" disagrees with you. They like the skill and the goal but they correctly state Hogs had time behind the net because the defender was not on him. The defender went back to the front of the net.

Not sure what you watched but I agree with the commentators.  

Awesome goal either way. :towel:

Sorry, the defender was in front of the net??????  He was still behind the net when the goal went in. Please watch it again and tell me when in the sequence was the defender ever in front of the net. He got deked out behind the net, was still fishing for the puck behind the net. If where that defender is located is defined as "in front of the net" god help everyone when we talk about clearing the house in front of the net cause we sure ain't talking about where he was. Tell me objectively when that defender was even above the goalline? Actually I tracked this again and the defender did not at any time through the entire sequence even cross above the goalline to the front of the net. He was definitively below the goalline the entire sequence. 

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well, I've been a season ticket holder since 1973. I've seen a few players come and go :lol:

then you've borne witness firsthand on countless occasions that a pass to oneself off the back of the net is a completely viable maneuver for creative enough and smart enough players. the d-man will bite because he's been taught to first force and then take away the safe, easy play, which leaves him vulnerable to "higher risk" and more innovative options. 

Wtf happened around here?  You guys are going pretty mental about one goal.  

I get the premise but the passion is right up there with JV vs WN or OJ vs MT.  

Wait a minute.  Is this what the CDC looks like in withdrawal?  Things have been good, I mean, really good for only a month and all we have to argue about is how Hogz scored one goal?  

We all need therapy.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Wtf happened around here?  You guys are going pretty mental about one goal.  

I get the premise but the passion is right up there with JV vs WN or OJ vs MT.  

Wait a minute.  Is this what the CDC looks like in withdrawal?  Things have been good, I mean, really good for only a month and all we have to argue about is how Hogz scored one goal?  

We all need therapy.  

sRaEtcG.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2019 at 12:33 PM, N7Nucks said:

I just hope it doesn't put a target on his back. People don't really take kindly to hot dogging. May offend a few of the wrong players. Doing wacky stuff in a shootout is one thing, but to embarrass a team on the ice. I dunno, maybe I am worrying about nothing but hey such is the life of a hardcore fan I guess.

On 10/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, N7Nucks said:

Lacrosse goals are low quality plays. In the NHL the defenders wouldn't just sit there and let him make that play. Let alone let him make a play like that. It's not a matter of "I hate change because change is scary". It's a matter of that play doesn't happen in the NHL for a reason. Not cause it's creative and scary and we all hate it but because the time and space you get is limited, the defenders are bigger faster and stronger than in any other league, and cause flat out the play is hard to pull off consistently. He said himself he needed good ice and fresh tape. The ice in a lot of NHL rinks can be garbo, with all the concerts and other activities going on. If he can pull it off, sweet. I'll lose my mind seeing it. I just dunno if he should be out there actively trying to do it cause defenders may take offense to it. 

Your posts didn't age well with the timing of Svech doing it for the first time in the NHL lol.....but no biggy either way.

Now that one player has done it we will see more try to replicate it I bet!

Letz hope Petey does it tonight against the ducks lol!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your posts didn't age well with the timing of Svech doing it for the first time in the NHL lol.....but no biggy either way.

Now that one player has done it we will see more try to replicate it I bet!

Letz hope Petey does it tonight against the ducks lol!!

Feel free to read my most recent post about it :rolleyes: I already took back my comment. Thanks though bud

• Like 1