The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

To me, he looks shorter than demko

He is.  I have seen them standing together and he's definitely shorter than Demko.  He was as tall as the guy who gave him the MVP award and that guy was nowhere near 6'4".  Roman has seen him live and next to Klimovich who is 6'2", so I would say that is pretty much his real height.  Just like Garland is really 5'8", not 5'10" like every website lists him.

Bobrovsky, Shesterkin, Lundqvist, Fleury, Brodeur, Roy, Miller.  Lots of Vezina trophy winners and all-time top goalies in the 6'2" range.  These goalies all have/had great movement and mechanics.  Silovs reminds me of a young Bobrovsky.  Same coach so makes sense.  I think Silovs is ready for the NHL right now.  Bobrovsky became a starter at age 22 and won his first Vezina at age 24.  Silovs is already 22.  He was the tournament MVP of the World Championships.  There is no way he needs to play another full year in Abby.  He could start for many teams in the NHL next season.

This is now going to be another goalie controversy in Vancouver IMO.  No way that Silovs will be waiting 3 years to be a starter with the Canucks.  I think Demko gets moved before his contract is up.  Several teams are desperate for a goalie.  LA, Buffalo, Ottawa, Colorado, Carolina, New Jersey.  All teams that either are competing now or want to compete in the near future.  Should be a high demand for Demko at $5 million for 3 more years...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He is.  I have seen them standing together and he's definitely shorter than Demko.  He was as tall as the guy who gave him the MVP award and that guy was nowhere near 6'4".  Roman has seen him live and next to Klimovich who is 6'2", so I would say that is pretty much his real height.  Just like Garland is really 5'8", not 5'10" like every website lists him.

Bobrovsky, Shesterkin, Lundqvist, Fleury, Brodeur, Roy, Miller.  Lots of Vezina trophy winners and all-time top goalies in the 6'2" range.  These goalies all have/had great movement and mechanics.  Silovs reminds me of a young Bobrovsky.  Same coach so makes sense.  I think Silovs is ready for the NHL right now.  Bobrovsky became a starter at age 22 and won his first Vezina at age 24.  Silovs is already 22.  He was the tournament MVP of the World Championships.  There is no way he needs to play another full year in Abby.  He could start for many teams in the NHL next season.

This is now going to be another goalie controversy in Vancouver IMO.  No way that Silovs will be waiting 3 years to be a starter with the Canucks.  I think Demko gets moved before his contract is up.  Several teams are desperate for a goalie.  LA, Buffalo, Ottawa, Colorado, Carolina, New Jersey.  All teams that either are competing now or want to compete in the near future.  Should be a high demand for Demko at $5 million for 3 more years...

On the Abby broadcast, they always say 6'2.

• There it is 1

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, who is going to make the first Demko proposal?  :)

I know this is a joke but it’s nice to note our best seasons have come with a quality 1-2 punch in net. Our little bubble run had Marky-Demko and of course Luongo-Schneider.

I have Silovs in Abby next year but two seasons from 2024-2026 could be a solid and cost effective Demko-Silovs in net if all goes well.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Tournament MVP Congrats.  He's in pretty good company as well 

Could contain: File, Text

Check out all those dates of birth listed for players winning the MVP.

80's, 90's except for one, 1972 

Jagr still kicking ass at 42- 43 years old.

• -AJ- changed the title to Arturs Silovs | G
9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

If he shows great preseason he might just make the team.

Hard call to season him another year or keep him and n the bigs.

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Fact: Goaltenders take longer to develop than position players. Before this past season started, I projected the starting goaltenders for the season. Some are obviously out of date, but I was struck at how long that even the best goalies spent in development ...

Three reasons to start Silovs in Abby next season.

1. As @Curmudgeon says, it normally takes a while for goalies develop. Sitting on the bench as the backup for 3 games out of 4 is not the way to do it.

2. Silovs will just be down the road in Abby. If Demko did get injured. Silovs could make the trip easily.

3. We want Abby to be good. They helps everyone.

7 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

******This is a little long, but I think it is useful.

Fact: Goaltenders take longer to develop than position players. Before this past season started, I projected the starting goaltenders for the season. Some are obviously out of date, but I was struck at how long that even the best goalies spent in development before becoming regular backups or regular number ones. Below is a team by team record of developmental times for goalies.

(Goalies and Games played in minor professional or European leagues prior to becoming an NHL starter or full-time backup)

Team / Goalie / Games played in developmental leagues

Anaheim John Gibson 70 (AHL)

Calgary Jacob Markstrom 86 (SwdHL) + 165 (AHL)

Edmonton Jack Campbell 27 (ECHL) + 92 (AHL)

Los Angeles Jonathan Quick 38 (ECHL) + 33 (AHL) +  54 (US-Coll)

San Jose James Reimer 28 (ECHL) + 54 (AHL)

Seattle  Martin Jones 1 (ECHL) + 158 (AHL)

Vancouver Thatcher Demko 107 (AHL) + 98 (US-Coll)

Vegas Logan Thompson 40 (ECHL) + 51 (AHL)

Arizona Karel Vejmelka 163 (Czech League)

Chicago Arvid Soderblom 27 (SHL) + 32 (AllSv) + 40 (AHL)

Colorado Alexander Georgiev 51 (Liiga) + 16 (Mestis) + 48 (AHL)

Dallas Jake Oettinger 44 (AHL) + 109 (US-Coll)

Minnesota Marc-Andre Fleury 66 (AHL)

Nashville Juuse Saros 81 (Liiga) + 53 (AHL)

St. Louis Jordan Binnington 40 (ECHL) + 168 (AHL)

Winnipeg Connor Hellebuyck 88 (AHL) + 53 (US-Coll)

Carolina Pyotr Kochetkov 49 (KHL) + 18 (AHL)

Columbus Elvis Merzlikins 257 (Swiss-A) + 2 (AHL)

New Jersey      Vitek Vanecek 24 (ECHL) + 142 (AHL)

NY Islanders Ilya Sorokin 246 (KHL)

NYRangers Igor Shesterkin 117 (KHL) + 25 (AHL)

Philadelphia Carter Hart 18 (AHL)

Pittsburgh Tristan Jarry 141 (AHL)

Washington Darcy Kuemper 11 (ECHL) + 61 (AHL)

Boston Linus Ullmark 127 (AHL) + 79 (SwdHL)

Buffalo Craig Anderson 146 (AHL)

Detroit Ville Husso 121(Liiga)) + 13 (ECHL) + 139 (AHL)

Florida Sergei Bobrovsky 76 (KHL)

Montreal Jake Allen 172 (AHL)

Ottawa Cam Talbot 2 (ECHL) + 116 (AHL) + 70 (US-Coll)

Tampa Bay Andrei Vasilevskiy 36 (KHL) + 37 (AHL)

Toronto Matt Murray 72 (AHL)

For those eager to have Silovs make the team in the Fall, remember that he has spent a total of 57AHL games + 10 ECHL games as a professional. In the Covid year, he played just once. For the sake of his development, he needs to play 50+ games for Abbotsford, with occasional trips to Vancouver when necessary. Can he backup? Yes, he probably can, but he'd get maybe 16-18 games. Better to get three times the work as the number one guy in Abby.

Why do you count ECHL and US Coll? 

Silovs have played 84 games in ECHL, AHL, NHL and for Latvia.

That seems like enough games compared with a lot of the goalies you showed, 19 I think.

• There it is 1

40 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Why do you count ECHL and US Coll? 

Silovs have played 84 games in ECHL, AHL, NHL and for Latvia.

That seems like enough games compared with a lot of the goalies you showed, 19 I think.

Would you rather see him play 60 games or watch 60 games?

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would you rather see him play 60 games or watch 60 games?

I want him win games for the Canucks and since Demko should play tops 55 games it means Silovs get 27 games plus playoffs for both.

But yes, rather sit 60 and play against the best than play 60 and don’t meet the best.

As I said, Silovs can be the difference between playoffs or not.

Do you want him to play in AHL if it means we miss the playoffs? 

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

2023/24 - Demko/Silovs

2024/25 - Demko/Silovs

offseason - Demko traded for a boatload (1 year left on his contract)

2025/26 - Silovs/?

Markstrom / Demko = lost Markstrom for nothing walked UFA-- That can't happen again..

Before we lost Markstrom for no return. Benning should of traded one of the goalies....Should of got 2nd rounder and good prospect ..

So saying that next summer Canucks should trade one of there goalies -

Demko - 2 yrs left X 5 million -- Will turn 29 yrs old  Dec 2024? ---- Before draft 2025 - Allvin should make a big trade before draft day.

This season Silovs plays 40 AHL games -- 15-- NHL games

Silovs 23 yrs old ready to be #1 --- 2024/25 season  - Silovs 32 games / Demko 50 games

• Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I want him win games for the Canucks and since Demko should play tops 55 games it means Silovs get 27 games plus playoffs for both.

But yes, rather sit 60 and play against the best than play 60 and don’t meet the best.

As I said, Silovs can be the difference between playoffs or not.

Do you want him to play in AHL if it means we miss the playoffs? 

I rather he play steadily in Abby and be available for call ups if needed for next year. Abby should have a good team next year and Silovs will be a critical piece. That said I am not crazy about Demko playing more than 50 games. Who will be his backup? We don't know what the roster will be come October. Most fans are expecting some trades. Who is in net for the Canucks and for how many games might be part of the fallout. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I rather he play steadily in Abby and be available for call ups if needed for next year. Abby should have a good team next year and Silovs will be a critical piece. That said I am not crazy about Demko playing more than 50 games. Who will be his backup? We don't know what the roster will be come October. Most fans are expecting some trades. Who is in net for the Canucks and for how many games might be part of the fallout. 

I still want playoffs and Silovs has a big part in that.

If they solve it so Silovs can come up and play half his time in Abby and half with the Canucks it might be really good.

• Upvote 1