The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He could wait until,August and be a free agent. He’s showing character staying with the club that drafted him. 

Rarely happens, once every few years, but Canuck fans always seem to panic about it. I don't think it has ever happened to the Canucks in the history of the team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RayCathode said:

Boeser's conditioning failed Boeser, nothing to do with system. Boeser's already marginal skating has suffered from being too heavy... in my opinion. He came in in his first year at 195, His is listed now at 208, but earlier in the season looked heavier. Looks like he has trimmed up a bit of late and is moving better, but he needs an off-season dedicated to fitness. 

And, interestingly, in an interview a couple of days ago Tocchet saId he was going to sit down with Brock and go over a summer fitness regimen for him.

• Like 1

Not expecting too much from him, but anything we get is a bonus.  

I find a lot of these college seniors that people get exceited about have 1 dominant skill, AM's is his shot.  Now whether that translates across to the NHL level is the big question.

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Not expecting too much from him, but anything we get is a bonus.  

I find a lot of these college seniors that people get exceited about have 1 dominant skill, AM's is his shot.  Now whether that translates across to the NHL level is the big question.

All of that's true. Seems like AM is heavy on his feet, not unusual for big players. You look at QH he seems to float, very very light ( it's why he can play  as many minutes as he does ) It's one thig to learn power skating technics ( as Bo did ) by lengthening his stride, or becomig quicker with your first couple of strides but becoming light on your feet is extremely difficult. A lot of squash and maybe try tap dancing :lol:

Edited by Fred65
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

All of that's true. Seems like AM is heavy on his feet, not unusual for big players. You look at QH he seems to float, very very light ( it's why he can play  as many minutes as he does ) It's one thig to learn power skating technics ( as Bo did ) by lengthening his stride, or becomig quicker with your first couple of strides but becoming light on your feet is extremely difficult. A lot of squash and maybe try tap dancing :lol:

My guess is, we're going to need to put him with the Skating coach that worked with Horvat.

21 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

My guess is, we're going to need to put him with the Skating coach that worked with Horvat.

His deffiency is different than Horvat. Horvat needed speed ( relayively easy to cure ) McDonough needs qickness He has heavy feet apprently. I wasn't joking about squash, a NCAA coach recommended squash for a player I new. 

What are the attributes of a good squash player?

Image result for game of squash attributes

There are a wide variety of different physical attributes that go into making up an athlete in any sport, and in squash, this includes endurance, stability, power, speed, and flexibility.
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

His deffiency is different than Horvat. Horvat needed speed ( relayively easy to cure ) McDonough needs qickness He has heavy feet apprently. I wasn't joking about squash, a NCAA coach recommended squash for a player I new. 

There are a wide variety of different physical attributes that go into making up an athlete in any sport, and in squash, this includes endurance, stability, power, speed, and flexibility.

Horvat needed speed and quickness. He got faster but not quicker. That’s why Bo struggles defensively. He’s not quick enough to compensate for how he processes. McDonough will play wing. Way less reliant on quickness defensively than centre. 

• Wat 1

33 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting approach...

23 hours ago, Fred65 said:

First I read lap dancing :lol:...

Now that would be a first...

• Haha 3

On 3/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Rarely happens, once every few years, but Canuck fans always seem to panic about it. I don't think it has ever happened to the Canucks in the history of the team.

RJ Umberger if I'm not mistaken 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

RJ Umberger if I'm not mistaken 

Umberger's situation was a little bit different. He left Ohio State after his Junior season with the intent to go professional with the Canucks but Burke played hardball with him and did not meet his contract demands. As a result, Umberger sat out an additional year and his rights were traded to the Rangers for Martin Rucinsky. He never signed with the Rangers and joined the Flyers as a free agent.

At least that is the way I remember it. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Umberger's situation was a little bit different. He left Ohio State after his Junior season with the intent to go professional with the Canucks but Burke played hardball with him and did not meet his contract demands. As a result, Umberger sat out an additional year and his rights were traded to the Rangers for Martin Rucinsky. He never signed with the Rangers and joined the Flyers as a free agent.

At least that is the way I remember it. :ph34r:

He got butt hurt about Kesler's deal and acted like a spoiled baby and refused to sign with Vancouver without matching or exceeding Kesler's deal. Also talked down on Kesler to get a better deal which soured their relationship too after being linemates at Ohio State.