The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

Just now, Bubble Man said:

Ya know, it’s ok to criticize the people in charge once in a while.

Yup, when it is deserved it sure it.   When it is fabricated and part of an ongoing narrative that is tiresome, it is "ok" in the same way it is "ok" to blame others for your own failures.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Insanity people questioning Tyler Myers wether he is a solid number 5 or 4.  

2010 season top pairing dman on a playoff team (number 1 dman)

2011 season top pairing dman on a playoff team (number 1 dman)

side note 2010 and 2011 sabres were awesome regular season teams,

2012 eason top pairing dman non playoff team

2013 season top pairing dman non playoff team

2014 season top pairing dman non playoff team

2015 season top pairing dman on both sabres and jets team. (Jets made playoffs) Was jets top pairing dman (number 1 dman)

2016 season 2nd pairing dman non playoff team.

2017 season 2nd pairing dman non playoff team

2018 season 2nd pairing dman on the 2nd best regular season playoff team. (Number 3 dman on the 2nd best team)

2019 season 2nd pairings dman on a top 10 team in the nhl.

(Source is nhl stats year to year players average time on ice)

So What in the devils name is he a solid number 4 Or an elite bottom pairing  Dman, did sportsnet day he’s the worst signing ?

gimme a damn break.  Tyler Myers have been a top pairing dman from his rookie season on and have never once played any season as a bottom pairing.   Idiots will say well he’s only a top 4 on a bad team, but on a real good team he’s a bottom pairing? He was a top 4 on what most Canadians considered one of he stanley cup contenders!   So if he was decent enough to be a top 4 on the jets he is surely a nhl bondified top 4 dman.  And the irony is that when he was their leading minute dman his teams actually made the playoffs,  (2010 -2015)  in 2012-2014 ehrhoff lead in minutes but Myers was still 2nd in ice time.

And it shouldn’t be a surprise that he was a 2nd pairing dman the past 4 seasons, cause that’s what’s he is. A top 4 dman that can probably play the top pairing role as good as Tanev or edler.  Now stats aside it’s not crazy but it’s top 4 material.  If anything I think we signed a Alex edler caliber dman to our group,and it’s a welcome addition if you ask me.  

Are people seriously crying about this ? 5 years at 6 mill? 30 million who saw that one coming. We all thought it was 7x7.  

Myers is not a perfect dman. We know that but he is a legit top 4.

Great post!!!!!

100% agree!!! This GM / Team can’t win right now.....it’s unreal!! I’ve never seen anything like it in the 30 years I’ve been following this team. I don’t think a large portion of the sports media / fans would be happy no matter what they do at this point. I can’t even listen to sports radio right now.....it makes me want to smash my head against the wall. I’ve said it a lot, but people are aloud to criticize / have an opinion, but that train has left that station, went way past that and derailed! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

As soon as I see stuff like “it’s not Benning’s fault”, “handcuffed”. I stop reading. There has never been a shred of any evidence to support and of this. If you look at what happened after Linden left. We spent some of the most bonehead dollars we have on bottom 6 players. Many say linden wanted a real rebuild and Benning/ management wanted to stay competitive. 

Ya know, it’s ok to criticize the people in charge once in a while. I liked a lot of things this group has done and I’ll praise the areas that I believe in with just as much enthusiasm. I was actually starting to buy into a lot of what he was doing. Usually I only have to digest his horrific FA signings which has pretty much become routine. This year however, he did the stupidest thing he has ever done as a GM (and that’s a bold statement) he traded a 1st round pick. To me that’s unforgivable and I want him gone. Bracket takes care of the drafting anyway. We need someone who can make a trade and keep his hands in his pocket July 1st. I keep hearing “you gotta pay a premium on July 1st, not Benning’s fault” Ya, well after 5 years of it’s not Benning tears, a huge % of our cap is “it’s not Benning’s fault”  contracts.  

Sorry, I did not read your opinion, as I don't read peoples opinions that do not read mine. LOL

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Backfire how? It'll depend on the structure of the contract, but in 4 years time, we should have more cap to work with as the vets we signed to take on the hard minutes will be expired and replaced with cheaper depth and opening up the cap space to sign him to a raise under the assumption he's played well enough to earn a significant raise. 6 million for 4 years is right where I was hoping he would sign, but hopefully it's not structured so that the qualifying offer required for the 5th year will be a significant raise.

Because he'll comand more on a long term deal, or maybe he wont want to sign a long term deal & just go short term to UFA. And he'll be open to offersheets (which is a lesser concerm obvs). 

A long term deal or shorter bridge would be best imo. In 4 years he should be able to hit it out of the park with a much bigger deal.

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

He can pinch surprisingly well. It's shocking seeing someone that big moving that fast.

Back when he was in his first year in CHL (WHL), he was all legs and arms and looked like a puppy who had a growth spurt.   While it was on tape it was lots of footage and was able to watch him warm up before a scrimmage and thought he would have a hard time doing much of anything.   He dominated the scrimmage and was one of the fastest guys on the ice.  There were no style points at all and I was certain he was going to get tangled up in himself a few times but he didn't and the next time I saw him was live and the speed was still there but he had somehow discovered "style".

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I guess you and I see things a little differently

First off, I do not blame Benning

His mandate changed, and is documented,

when I believe it was Linden who said we were changing

from a Re-tool to a Re-Build

The Eriksson signing was done during the Re-tool

and IMO was very influenced by the Sedin's and Aqualini

But you could argue, I have no proof...so you have no proof

There-bye, how do you condemn a man with no proof

You can't

Now, at the start of Benning's tenure, he was totally hand cuffed

Aging veterans, a mandate IMO, to still compete

and little cap to work with

So he look far and wide for any valuable cast-offs

So, I do not think Benning came in able to make huge moves

For those reasons and the fact that he was a new GM

So to summarize...……….

First 2 years, Benning was being shadowed and handcuffed

by Aqualini, the Sedin's, the Ghost of Gillis, and the NTC's,

no prospects in the cupboard, and no cap space

Fast Forward to Today...…….

Benning has build a fantastic stable of young guns

both on the parent team, and on the farm

Has signed some UFA's to speed the process up

(Possibly spurned on by Aqualini, AGAIN)

But with the knowledge that he can not go hog wild

with the UFA's because he now has to budget

as his new stars will want raises.....starting with Boeser

Now, this last point will really come to rest when

Benning has to Give raises to Pettersson, Hughes, and 

down the road Podkolzin. Not to mention Demko.

Now, saying all that, Is Benning the absolute best GM ...no

But he is probably in the top 10, certainly above average.

As Crab Cakes has pointed out...he has been here 5 years

We basically started at rock bottom, which was not his fault

He has an amazing stable (Look at my Post on that), and 

has been praised by media east of Vancouver.....

Yes, he has his haters, but way more are in his corner.

For you or anyone else dumping on his supporters

are not being honest with yourselves...…...

Just watch what happens when they do not agree

Watch how fast they want his head...……….

That is not happening right now!

This! It’s as clear as day, but a large portion of the sports media / fans seem to want to ignore various aspects of what’s happened in the last 5 years. It’s like going to a job interview and your resume has all relative info / experience, but the employer just ignores parts of the resume for no apparent reason. 

Edited by IRR
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Back when he was in his first year in CHL (WHL), he was all legs and arms and looked like a puppy who had a growth spurt.   While it was on tape it was lots of footage and was able to watch him warm up before a scrimmage and thought he would have a hard time doing much of anything.   He dominated the scrimmage and was one of the fastest guys on the ice.  There were no style points at all and I was certain he was going to get tangled up in himself a few times but he didn't and the next time I saw him was live and the speed was still there but he had somehow discovered "style".

I remember when he won the Calder people thought he could be one of the best defensemen in the league. Obviously, that didn't come to fruition, but he's been a consistent top 2 or 4 defensemen so it's laughable that people are saying he's a 5th.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Because he'll comand more on a long term deal, or maybe he wont want to sign a long term deal & just go short term to UFA. And he'll be open to offersheets (which is a lesser concerm obvs). 

A long term deal or shorter bridge would be best imo. In 4 years he should be able to hit it out of the park with a much bigger deal.

A shorter bridge would mean he gets paid big earlier, so not sure how that's better. A long term deal means you have to pay more now and back on significant progress down the road therefore really doesn't add up to much savings over the duration of it. In 4 years we will have a better idea of what player we will get out of Boeser and the cap should go up to help with whatever increase should he actually earn it. No one is complaining about the Bo Horvat deal that takes him right to UFA which looks like a steal as soon as he stepped on the ice after signing it. Boeser at 6 million may just be the same feeling. Getting players at their market value based on today is what makes the deal look good over the duration of it otherwise there is expectation for him to play up to his contract immediately rather than grow into it.

If in 4 years, Boeser has lost desire to be here or is simply unaffordable to keep, then we move on and gain assets. We have Podkolzin who could potentially take over and who knows who may be able to step up at that point like a Kole Lind, Hoglander, etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I remember when he won the Calder people thought he could be one of the best defensemen in the league. Obviously, that didn't come to fruition, but he's been a consistent top 2 or 4 defensemen so it's laughable that people are saying he's a 5th.

Yeah, the idea that he is a bottom pairing guy is pretty silly. But there are a lot of posters here who apparently heard that smart people are often contrarian, so they try to appear clever by being one. But they mostly miss the point that your contrary opinion needs to actually make sense if you expect it to make you seem smart.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

So funny how people just use graphs and projections for Myers to show how “bad” he is and don’t use anything else. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, the idea that he is a bottom pairing guy is pretty silly. But there are a lot of posters here who apparently heard that smart people are often contrarian, so they try to appear clever by being one. But they mostly miss the point that your contrary opinion needs to actually make sense if you expect it to make you seem smart.

Winnipeg were just deep on the right side. He still got top 4 minutes. 

His absence will really show on that team, as will Trouba's.

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, when it is deserved it sure it.   When it is fabricated and part of an ongoing narrative that is tiresome, it is "ok" in the same way it is "ok" to blame others for your own failures.

Yes, yes, yes! This is a huge problem in society today. All you have to do is go on FB, read various post (that aren’t even close to bad / negative) and all you see is excessive negative reactions / comments. Or straight up disgusting / rude comments. 

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Winnipeg were just deep on the right side. He still got top 4 minutes. 

His absence will really show on that team, as will Trouba's.

Yes, the absence of those two is going to give the Jets some serious problems. It's a shame, I was so happy to have them become contenders, and now what?

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

People who want to whine and complain will always find a reason.   To understate your own players and overstate other team's players is a game that both trolls and people in dark places like to go.   I find it humorous.   I also find it humorous how people keep downgrading the Canucks opportunities for growth last year as they have lost not a single key contributor and added to solid Dmen, one top 6 forward and will have another year under the belt for three of the games most promising players in Hughes, Boeser and EP40.   IF last year's team was only a few injuries away from a playoff spot, why all the drama about the Canuck management betting on being there this season and/or next?   Particularly when the rest of the west is not noticeable stronger at all.   

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, IRR said:

Yes, yes, yes! This is a huge problem in society today. All you have to do is go on FB, read various post (that aren’t even close to bad / negative) and all you see is excessive negative reactions / comments. Or straight up disgusting / rude comments. 

Those people are collectively and, quite simply, sad humans with little in their lives and anonymously striking out somehow eases the pain and/or makes them feel superior in at least one area of their lives.   I have all the time in the world for constructive criticism or insights based upon logic but when people create a negative narrative that is all about their own insecurities, I say call them out on it with the hope they will snap to their senses and stop the cycle.    Essentially most of these types deserve your pity as think of how dark and lonely their lives must be.     At the same time, when they cross lines and invent crap about the players (particularly the kids), I lose patience and respond.    

I find HF Boards laughable beyond compare to most and simply check there once in a while for a good chuckle.   However, I am sure if someone is in a mental health field they could find many case studies for depression and projection issues.    

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Those people are collectively and, quite simply, sad humans with little in their lives and anonymously striking out somehow eases the pain and/or makes them feel superior in at least one area of their lives.   I have all the time in the world for constructive criticism or insights based upon logic but when people create a negative narrative that is all about their own insecurities, I say call them out on it with the hope they will snap to their senses and stop the cycle.    Essentially most of these types deserve your pity as think of how dark and lonely their lives must be.     At the same time, when they cross lines and invent crap about the players (particularly the kids), I lose patience and respond.    

I find HF Boards laughable beyond compare to most and simply check there once in a while for a good chuckle.   However, I am sure if someone is in a mental health field they could find many case studies for depression and projection issues.    

Very well said! I agree. It’s hard to get away from, which is sad / frustrating. For my kids sake, I hope people start waking up and changing their perspective / attitude as society moves forward. 

I’m with ya...constructive criticism / opinions (based on fact / reality) are fine, but the constant negativity / sky is falling crap is exhausting. 

I’m like you, cross the line and I’m calling you out. 

Im scared to even take a peek at HF Boards. Lol! 

• Thanks 1

Is this the Tyler Myers thread or the "let's talk about how much better I am as a human being than the people who disagree with me on the internet and how I pity them, and how I'm so great, and..." thread?

Reading the last few posts, I'm honestly confused. Someone please clarify.

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Real world athletes always say how important it is.

Some online poster saying it isn't does not mean much. 

There are a lot of reasons why 19 to 24 yr olds would agree that having older players around helps, some of these reasons are almost certainly valid, some probably not.  But that doesn't negate the earlier poster's question about the validity of the insulation argument.  Because I don't think any younger player wants "insulation" -- sounds like coddling and no athlete would admit to wanting/needing that.  It also suggests that because they are young, they must need extra help in handling the stress/losing etc.   Kind of what the senior Dems suggested about the Occasio-Cortez types.  I don't think it's about insulation at all. 

The issue is the "insulation" question -- the justification for some of these contracts to the likes of Beagle.  I think it's hard to prove the insulation value, probably impossible, but what we can prove is how some of these contracts are going to hurt the team, including the younger players eventually (re: pay, needing more good players, etc.) 

I'm not sure we'd have been one game loss greater if we'd simply gone with players who were cheaper/younger, not requiring so much term. The contracts to Sutter, Eriksson and eventually Beagle will cause difficulties for management and the improvement of the team.  They are already causing trouble.

Re: ignorance of someone posting here.  Very true, very capable of not knowing what I/we are talking about.  But there are myths in sport, some are harmful.  I remember a time when people thought you needed to be able to fight in order to survive/handle yourself in hockey.  Or that Europeans couldn't handle the NHL.  Or that the best pre-game meal was protein, protein, give me steak. 

Sometimes you just have to try other things and see if they work.  The Oilers won in the 80s because of talent, not because they "insulated" Gretzky and friends.  Yes, he had Semenko, but that wasn't about Semenko being a veteran, but about his role.  (A role that could be useful to any mega-star at any point in his career.)  Nor that he needed another center or two to learn the game from.  Pettersson is like that: I don't see him needing insulation.  He deals with the media, he rose to the level of playing center in his first year here, he had to handle a stupid injury caused by a suspendable act.  He handled these things himself.  

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 3