The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

11 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

If you are one of the few 19 year olds in the entire universe that is playing in the NHL. WTF is Tim Schaller going to help you with? 

EP in Sweden. 

BB in North Dakota.

QH in Michigan.

OJ in Utica.

You don't think these guys had older vets on their teams helping them out in all sorts of ways?   None of these teams had superstars on them when these kids arrived so guess what type of players they had around them to relate with?  Who did Green immediately pair with QH when he arrived?   Could've been several others but he was paired immediately with a journeyman in Schenn.  That wasn't done randomly.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Insanity people questioning Tyler Myers wether he is a solid number 5 or 4.  

2010 season top pairing dman on a playoff team (number 1 dman)

2011 season top pairing dman on a playoff team (number 1 dman)

side note 2010 and 2011 sabres were awesome regular season teams,

2012 eason top pairing dman non playoff team

2013 season top pairing dman non playoff team

2014 season top pairing dman non playoff team

2015 season top pairing dman on both sabres and jets team. (Jets made playoffs) Was jets top pairing dman (number 1 dman)

2016 season 2nd pairing dman non playoff team.

2017 season 2nd pairing dman non playoff team

2018 season 2nd pairing dman on the 2nd best regular season playoff team. (Number 3 dman on the 2nd best team)

2019 season 2nd pairings dman on a top 10 team in the nhl.

(Source is nhl stats year to year players average time on ice)

So What in the devils name is he a solid number 4 Or an elite bottom pairing  Dman, did sportsnet day he’s the worst signing ?

gimme a damn break.  Tyler Myers have been a top pairing dman from his rookie season on and have never once played any season as a bottom pairing.   Idiots will say well he’s only a top 4 on a bad team, but on a real good team he’s a bottom pairing? He was a top 4 on what most Canadians considered one of he stanley cup contenders!   So if he was decent enough to be a top 4 on the jets he is surely a nhl bondified top 4 dman.  And the irony is that when he was their leading minute dman his teams actually made the playoffs,  (2010 -2015)  in 2012-2014 ehrhoff lead in minutes but Myers was still 2nd in ice time.

And it shouldn’t be a surprise that he was a 2nd pairing dman the past 4 seasons, cause that’s what’s he is. A top 4 dman that can probably play the top pairing role as good as Tanev or edler.  Now stats aside it’s not crazy but it’s top 4 material.  If anything I think we signed a Alex edler caliber dman to our group,and it’s a welcome addition if you ask me.  

Are people seriously crying about this ? 5 years at 6 mill? 30 million who saw that one coming. We all thought it was 7x7.  

Myers is not a perfect dman. We know that but he is a legit top 4.

Bang on.    6mil this year is what 5m was 2years ago.  ..and in 5 years 6m will look like 4mil this year.

This is a great contract, Myers is moveable,  which should be exciting for him to play hard and work towards a Stanley Cup, irregardless of that Team being the Canucks or not.

If you can’t have a proud Team if you don’t create personal pride in your game.. I see a proud hockey player in Tyler Myers.

11 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Lol, when has Benning ever built up the value of anything to trade at the deadline. He doesn’t think that far in advance. There are a lot of things I love about this management group and the types of players they have been drafting. I just wish someone would hit JB over the head June 30th, tie him up and hold him hostage till all the bad contracts are safely signed and away from our roster. 

Well, I guess you and I see things a little differently

First off, I do not blame Benning

His mandate changed, and is documented,

when I believe it was Linden who said we were changing

from a Re-tool to a Re-Build

The Eriksson signing was done during the Re-tool

and IMO was very influenced by the Sedin's and Aqualini

But you could argue, I have no proof...so you have no proof

There-bye, how do you condemn a man with no proof

You can't

Now, at the start of Benning's tenure, he was totally hand cuffed

Aging veterans, a mandate IMO, to still compete

and little cap to work with

So he look far and wide for any valuable cast-offs

So, I do not think Benning came in able to make huge moves

For those reasons and the fact that he was a new GM

So to summarize...……….

First 2 years, Benning was being shadowed and handcuffed

by Aqualini, the Sedin's, the Ghost of Gillis, and the NTC's,

no prospects in the cupboard, and no cap space

Fast Forward to Today...…….

Benning has build a fantastic stable of young guns

both on the parent team, and on the farm

Has signed some UFA's to speed the process up

(Possibly spurned on by Aqualini, AGAIN)

But with the knowledge that he can not go hog wild

with the UFA's because he now has to budget

as his new stars will want raises.....starting with Boeser

Now, this last point will really come to rest when

Benning has to Give raises to Pettersson, Hughes, and 

down the road Podkolzin. Not to mention Demko.

Now, saying all that, Is Benning the absolute best GM ...no

But he is probably in the top 10, certainly above average.

As Crab Cakes has pointed out...he has been here 5 years

We basically started at rock bottom, which was not his fault

He has an amazing stable (Look at my Post on that), and 

has been praised by media east of Vancouver.....

Yes, he has his haters, but way more are in his corner.

For you or anyone else dumping on his supporters

are not being honest with yourselves...…...

Just watch what happens when they do not agree

Watch how fast they want his head...……….

That is not happening right now!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

nuksforward.png.ce80ad3908ca2a6ec73cd50fnuksd.png.bac23841bf1019773536701246d126

And there's any question why the team did so poorly in November?  The wonder is how they won any games at all.

Absolutely NOTHING like the roster we'll have this year.  Night and day.

What's funny is that this roster was an improvement over the previous years. 

Lmao jesus

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

nuksforward.png.ce80ad3908ca2a6ec73cd50fnuksd.png.bac23841bf1019773536701246d126

And there's any question why the team did so poorly in November?  The wonder is how they won any games at all.

That was team Podkolzin/Hoglander. It’s amazing how poor of a line up it was.

I’m super happy moving forward with the new Canuck line up. As stated I believe this upcoming season, Canucks will make the playoffs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gameburn said:

The difference between Edler and, say, Gagne or Eriksson or Beagle when injured... or Lucic?… I hope there is a difference, but at some point the difference between an older guy who leads with his play, and an older guy who is standing in your way must get pretty fine.  Establishing discipline in practice and on the road probably is critical to making an athlete what they should be, I agree.  But most sports don't require other athletes to inspire this, usually the coaches and the demands of their sport are enough -- think of all the individual sports like Golf and Track and Field, figure skating, even Baseball (an individual sport with the veneer of a team sport).  I suspect that this whole thing is a myth.

Real world athletes always say how important it is.

Some online poster saying it isn't does not mean much. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Awesome post and this is why I am so stoked for the season to start.

I wish I could sleep for two months and wake up in September lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

D'uh, looks the same to me. Just some minor tinkering, proof positive that Benning has done nothing at all. Firing is too good for him, he should be drawn, quartered, burned and the ashes sprinkled on a garbage dump, d'uh. Lol.

Can't believe Elmer's going into next year with the same lineup expecting different results, yet again.  I blame ownership for refusing to rebuild, trying to make the playoffs yet again with another stupid Eriksson-2 signing, just to line their pockets.  They'll never fire him as long as he keeps being their lapdog.  #bringbackGillis

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Ugh that lineup makes me feel nauseas. Thank god we cut loose some dead weight, but we still need to cut some more loose. Ala Eriksson and Sutter. With Brock still unsigned, I see a trade coming soon. 

No trades needed to sign Boeser.

17 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We have enough room as of today to sign him to an 8 million dollar (or more) deal especially once the roster gets set to a 23 man roster. I hope he doesn't get to 8 million a season, but we can afford it.

2 months of negotiations before training camp. It's not even a concern for me right now.

That with no wiggle room.

The reported now is 4 years @ 6. Would give us 1 year till UFA but still. Not sure how I feel about that. Decent bridge for the length of the deal but it could backfire.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

With the Canuck luck, let's wait until this coming November and make the same comparison.

I think our starting lineup last year wasn't too bad, but I agree it does look better this year to start on paper at least.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

No we arent.

Sutter has negative value currently, and LE has a buyout proof contract.

The way LE’s contract is structured it’s a lot easier to buy him out now than it was before July 1st.   As you can see, looking at the far right column the last 3 years are a lot less than his first 3.  

6635B054-948B-4FBC-8ED1-23BF4425FF28.jpeg

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

That with no wiggle room.

The reported now is 4 years @ 6. Would give us 1 year till UFA but still. Not sure how I feel about that. Decent bridge for the length of the deal but it could backfire.

Backfire how? It'll depend on the structure of the contract, but in 4 years time, we should have more cap to work with as the vets we signed to take on the hard minutes will be expired and replaced with cheaper depth and opening up the cap space to sign him to a raise under the assumption he's played well enough to earn a significant raise. 6 million for 4 years is right where I was hoping he would sign, but hopefully it's not structured so that the qualifying offer required for the 5th year will be a significant raise.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I guess you and I see things a little differently

First off, I do not blame Benning

His mandate changed, and is documented,

when I believe it was Linden who said we were changing

from a Re-tool to a Re-Build

The Eriksson signing was done during the Re-tool

and IMO was very influenced by the Sedin's and Aqualini

But you could argue, I have no proof...so you have no proof

There-bye, how do you condemn a man with no proof

You can't

Now, at the start of Benning's tenure, he was totally hand cuffed

Aging veterans, a mandate IMO, to still compete

and little cap to work with

So he look far and wide for any valuable cast-offs

So, I do not think Benning came in able to make huge moves

For those reasons and the fact that he was a new GM

So to summarize...……….

First 2 years, Benning was being shadowed and handcuffed

by Aqualini, the Sedin's, the Ghost of Gillis, and the NTC's,

no prospects in the cupboard, and no cap space

Fast Forward to Today...…….

Benning has build a fantastic stable of young guns

both on the parent team, and on the farm

Has signed some UFA's to speed the process up

(Possibly spurned on by Aqualini, AGAIN)

But with the knowledge that he can not go hog wild

with the UFA's because he now has to budget

as his new stars will want raises.....starting with Boeser

Now, this last point will really come to rest when

Benning has to Give raises to Pettersson, Hughes, and 

down the road Podkolzin. Not to mention Demko.

Now, saying all that, Is Benning the absolute best GM ...no

But he is probably in the top 10, certainly above average.

As Crab Cakes has pointed out...he has been here 5 years

We basically started at rock bottom, which was not his fault

He has an amazing stable (Look at my Post on that), and 

has been praised by media east of Vancouver.....

Yes, he has his haters, but way more are in his corner.

For you or anyone else dumping on his supporters

are not being honest with yourselves...…...

Just watch what happens when they do not agree

Watch how fast they want his head...……….

That is not happening right now!

As soon as I see stuff like “it’s not Benning’s fault”, “handcuffed”. I stop reading. There has never been a shred of any evidence to support and of this. If you look at what happened after Linden left. We spent some of the most bonehead dollars we have on bottom 6 players. Many say linden wanted a real rebuild and Benning/ management wanted to stay competitive. 

Ya know, it’s ok to criticize the people in charge once in a while. I liked a lot of things this group has done and I’ll praise the areas that I believe in with just as much enthusiasm. I was actually starting to buy into a lot of what he was doing. Usually I only have to digest his horrific FA signings which has pretty much become routine. This year however, he did the stupidest thing he has ever done as a GM (and that’s a bold statement) he traded a 1st round pick. To me that’s unforgivable and I want him gone. Bracket takes care of the drafting anyway. We need someone who can make a trade and keep his hands in his pocket July 1st. I keep hearing “you gotta pay a premium on July 1st, not Benning’s fault” Ya, well after 5 years of it’s not Benning tears, a huge % of our cap is “it’s not Benning’s fault”  contracts.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1