The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which forwards will be back for 2019-20 season?

Rate this topic

Rush17

I think we're at the point where we have to take a longer view and start thinking in terms of "asset management". I think someone like Gaudette should start in Utica because of his  waiver exempt status. Injuries are inevitable, so he will get called up eventually.

I'm also hoping that we can trade Loui and another player to Ottawa for a second plus. That would give us more options.

4 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

I wouldn't call Sven gritty, but he's not exactly a muffin either.. big problem with him is the whole concussion issue.. might change his game a bit? 

on the other hand, you list Leivo, Goldy & Virt as replacements.. Leivo is gritty I guess, but Goldy really isn't.. and Jake hasn't quite figured out how to use his size yet. 

Goldy at least has the skill, but will he even get a contract? either way, I'm not sure any of those guys are the top 6 solution you're hoping for.. 

Jake hits. That’s a fact. Don’t say that about the kid. 

1 hour ago, Brovat said:

Jake hits. That’s a fact. Don’t say that about the kid. 

yes I'll give you that.. but you gotta admit he could be playing offense differently.. you don't draft a guy with his tools at 6th so he can go out & bash some bodies.. 

he's coming along tho.. 

I’d move Leivo up a notch.  

He was great for us last year and probably has a spot on the 2nd or 3rd Line.  

I would move Schiller down a spot 

Motte is a lock for our 4th line. Like your evaluation overall. 

Definitely will be here:

Petey, Brock, Bo, Miller

Beagle, Baer, Pearson, Gaudette likely here

The rest are all uncertain.

These guys are all maybes:

Jake, Motte, Leivo, Goldy

Who needs to be moved are:

Granny- Play seems to be declining, and I would not be adversed to him being moved.

Spooner- just no room unfortunately. Didn’t really impress enough 

Eriksson- the rumours are he wants to be moved, and is not answering Benning’s calls. He has reportedly moved his family out of Vancouver as well. If he’s acting this way, then fine. Let him rot somewhere else.

Sutter- injured way too much; and Gaudette has potential to surpass and take his spot. We don’t have any need for him anymore 

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, Rush17 said:

I found this video rather interesting. This guy is a good youtuber here in VANcity. 

He wants the losing to stop too. Really good insight kind of fits into this whole discussion. Covers D and G too. Recommend watching :D

Huh. I didn’t realize Patton Oswalt was a Canucks fan.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:40 AM, Canckelhead said:

I would like to see Baer traded and put Leivo, Goldy, or Virtanen a chance in top 6. Baer is just not gritty enough

Baer scores more "gritty" goals than almost any other Canuck.   Look at any summary of his goals and how they are scored.    Baer seems to be a polarizing player but doubt many will find fault in terms of playing in the tough areas.   

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Baer scores more "gritty" goals than almost any other Canuck.   Look at any summary of his goals and how they are scored.    Baer seems to be a polarizing player but doubt many will find fault in terms of playing in the tough areas.   

Don't know what games you see but he's a perimeter player most of the time and brings no grit to the game whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canckelhead said:

Don't know what games you see but he's a perimeter player most of the time and brings no grit to the game whatsoever. 

And when Baer got sat for a couple games, because he was playing too soft, he came back and did get involved.  Then he got hurt.  The more Baer plays how he needs to be a player, the more he gets injured.  

Miller EP Boeser

Pearson Horvat _____

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

(Granlund)

(Baertschi).

As it stands, I think:

Granlund remains as the Swiss Army knife, versatile forward that could displace a Leivo or Motte...

Baertschi is the most likely to remain (over LE, Spooner, Schaller, Goldobin) and take that vacant spot on the 2nd line.

Won't be surpised however, if any of Baertschi or the remaining field were dealt.

Gaudette is an obvious wild-card who was not ready last year, but you never know this year.

He might actually be a decent candidate to move up the lineup and play in a 2 or 3 RW role (perhaps Virtanen moves up to play with Horvat and Pearson as well).

One spot to be determined with a good measure of possible, talented young players in the mix imo.

Regardless, I'm really liking how the group is shaping up - good depth - and with players like Gaudette, McEwen, Jasek, LInd, Podkolzin, Madden, Hoglander, Gadjovich, Lockwood = they have enough young players there that at least a few of them could push their way in in the future.

All of them will be back, because Benning tends to signs players who have zero value after a couple of years and can't give them away. My guess is he'll try and send as many of the plugs (Granlund, Spooner, Schaller, Motte, etc) down to Utica as he can. Like sweeping dust under the carpet. 

22 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Goals:

Goal Heat Map

Goals (percentage):

Goal Heat Map

Shots:

Shot Heat Map

This is what he's watching. Baertschi gets almost all his goals in the "dirty" areas, he's not a perimeter player at all lol. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Goals:

Goal Heat Map

Goals (percentage):

Goal Heat Map

Shots:

Shot Heat Map

This is what he's watching. Baertschi gets almost all his goals in the "dirty" areas, he's not a perimeter player at all lol.

I'm talking about his whole game all over the ice, not just the few goals he scored. No Grit At All

Edited by Canckelhead
because

2 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

I'm talking about his whole game all over the ice, not just the few goals he scored. No Grit At All

Then leave the 'perimeter' part out because he goes to the net as much as any player on the Canucks.

It’s easier to just say who shouldn’t be back

Beartschi - he’s one hit away from being brain dead, possibly shouldn’t be playing anymore

Eriksson - obvious reasons

Granlund - not worth it, has no trade value, just don’t qualify him and let him walk 

Sutter - Cannot stay healthy, time to move on, make room on the roster for younger players, but I fear Benning is committed to keeping him

Schaller - He’s been terrible, motte is better for the 4th line

Spooner - Trade him to a cap floor team pay whatever it costs to get rid of him

Edited by KelownaCanucksFan

17 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

yes I'll give you that.. but you gotta admit he could be playing offense differently.. you don't draft a guy with his tools at 6th so he can go out & bash some bodies.. 

he's coming along tho.. 

True. Hopefully it’s just all natural progression and he starts putting up some points.