The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

Well the Canucks do lose the 15% retained salary on the trade and I think that was 850,000

so now they have the flexibility to retain salary in other trades (max is 3)

and they really only gain around 2m going towards loungo on the Canucks books   

Just now, Quint said:

I said this would never happen, more than once. I was wrong and whoever was arguing the other side, you guys were right. The fact that Florida wants him to retire instead of LTIR and he wants to work for them down the road stinks to high heaven. The whole thing makes the NHL look bush league.

Look at a couple of the teams getting out of the cap recapture with some dubious injuries.  Luongo is retiring legitimately from an injury.  And the Canucks end up being the only team getting screwed by it.  Watch Webber (or or high profile player on another team with the same potential issue) get a mysterious yeast infection :P and be put on LITR.

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

You're living in a fantasy land if you think FA could have stood alone and strong armed 29 other owners. 

Why not? Had he held out the loss of revenue would have been massive for all of the other owners, as well as the NHL itself. Why would they waste the effort over one contract recapture?

Irrelevant now anyways. We still need to fight this somehow. Request an exemption due to Luongo retiring due partially to medical reasons. If that fails, make a big stink about it. I doubt bringing it to court would do anything other than waste time and money, but get some opinions from lawyers on what could be done and why the recapture is bull$&!# and make it public for all to see. 

• Upvote 1

Happy retirement Bobby Lu...

And damned this crap contract... And it does matter...  Disgusted... 

Benning starting to make a splash, and then his budget get slashed by 2mill... for the next 3 years..

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DonaldBrashear said:

This is going to hurt in a very tight cap era. Fun being a canucks fan isn't it.

The only reason I can see for Luongo retiring instead of going on LTIR is because he is going to potentially take a management job with Florida.

To be honest, it only really hurts once we become a team close to the cap again. We also have a number of contracts that end before we need to sign Hughes and Pettersson such as Baertschi, Sutter, Spooner, and Edler.

It sucks that we have to take that blow in general, but it's at least the right time to have to take it.

9 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

This is going to hurt in a very tight cap era. Fun being a canucks fan isn't it.

The only reason I can see for Luongo retiring instead of going on LTIR is because he is going to potentially take a management job with Florida.

waive schaller and spooner and we're up 2 mil after Luongo's cap hit- too many here are panicking for zero reason. If he was going to do it better now than next year or the year after when the cap hit would hurt, now, meh, doesn't mean anything to us. Waive those too and we're fine

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

Umm waive them and send them to utica, buy out, or trade if you a get anthing for them, even a cap floor team might want them

Sending them to Utica might be the only way. A buyout for Schaller for example would still give us a caphit of almost 1.5mil. I don't think teams needing to reach the cap floor will have trouble reaching the cap floor this year given how many teams need to shed cap.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why not? Had he held out the loss of revenue would have been massive for all of the other owners, as well as the NHL itself. Why would they waste the effort over one contract recapture?

Irrelevant now anyways. We still need to fight this somehow. Request an exemption due to Luongo retiring due partially to medical reasons. If that fails, make a big stink about it. I doubt bringing it to court would do anything other than waste time and money, but get some opinions from lawyers on what could be done and why the recapture is bull$&!# and make it public for all to see. 

i know you are just spit balling about this all

no nhl owner has veto rights

in fact, it appears that before any lock out/ strike occurs

ownership votes to cede all their voting rights/powers to bettman

he becomes a virtual king until an agreement is reached

and all owners sign the written agreement presented to them

then ownership rights/voting power is returned to each owner

p.s.  if an owner steps out of line they could be heavily fined

Edited by coastal.view

Just now, The Lock said:

Sending them to Utica might be the only way. A buyout for Schaller for example would still give us a caphit of almost 1.5mil. I don't think teams needing to reach the cap floor will have trouble reaching the cap floor this year given how many teams need to shed cap.

They'd actually help in Utica, and if someone wants to claim them great. Emergency depth as well, doesn't hit our cap, and were effectively rotting in the press box anyways.

Just now, coastal.view said:

i know you are just spit balling about this all

no nhl owner has veto rights

in fact, it appears that before any lock out/ strike occurs

ownership votes to cede all their voting rights/powers to bettman

he becomes a virtual king until an agreement is reached

and all owners sign the written agreement presented to them

Convenient for Buttman.

It sucks on the Canucks Cap front, but full kudos to Lou for retiring.

He returned the favour to the team that took him that also bailed us out after his miss treatment in his final Canucks year.

In the end 2.2 mill difference will not make or break our next few seasons. Just look at Anaheim taking a 6 million cap hit next year for Corey Perry.