The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Oscar Fantenberg

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Potential is one thing, but currently he's behind Sautner hence why Sautner was getting more games at the end of last season over Brisebois. There's potential for Brisebois to surpass him (and others to get into a full time NHL gig), but just not a lot of time left to do so with who's in the system right now. So even passing Sautner (who's likely a Utica call up anyway) doesn't land him a NHL gig, but maybe just more call ups at this point and as mentioned by the end of this season, we could see Tryamkin and/or Rathbone also join the team and another season of development of Juolevi and he will be pushed further down the depth chart. This is why I'd explore moving him while he's still young and has this potential if the interest is there around the league.

Sautner's older and presently steadier defensively. But he doesn't really have much more than that and is likely to be an AHL or #7-8 guy. 

I could see Brisebois developing in to a #4-6 guy though if he keeps at it. That said, with Edler, Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone etc, I agree that we can likely look to package him at some point if the opportunity arises. That's not likely yet though as he's still very much needed in Utica. Once Rathbone, Utunen, Woo etc start arriving in upstate New York however...

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Breezer is only a year older than OJ isn't he?  A few years younger than sautner

Hence why Sautner is above Brisebois in terms of depth now being more seasoned and yet would still have value in a trade because he's still young and has potential. It's not that I want to get rid of Brisebois, it's that we have depth in this position and it would appear that even if he develops well that we may not have a spot for him anyway with who we have in the pipeline in the same position. Adding someone like Fantenberg suggests they rather have someone like him in the press box and allowing our younger guys to continue to develop in the AHL. In the meantime, Brisebois will need to start standing out or he will be squeezed out and instead of us trying to get value for him, he withers into being obsolete as years go by.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sautner's older and presently steadier defensively. But he doesn't really have much more than that and is likely to be an AHL or #7-8 guy. 

I could see Brisebois developing in to a #4-6 guy though if he keeps at it. That said, with Edler, Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone etc, I agree that we can likely look to package him at some point if the opportunity arises. That's not likely yet though as he's still very much needed in Utica. Once Rathbone, Utunen, Woo etc start arriving in upstate New York however...

With Sautner, Teves, Juolevi likely to start in Utica and Rathbone, Tryamkin and even Utunen coming in soon, he's running out of time, but still has that allure of youth and potential. We may need more depth for injuries, but that can be mitigated with AHL signings. Perhaps we move on from Sautner and Teves and keep Brisebois, which is a possibility, but I'm open to the idea of him being a sweetener in a deal if there is demand simply because it's looking more like a position of strength for us.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

With all the depth at D, I'd like to see Fanny converted to 4th line checker. Great energy guy, more aggressive on the forecheck. Good skater, could cause the opposition fits in a playoff series.

Interesting idea, we seem to have a few options for call up for a 4th line like MacEwen and likely Bailey. Maybe even Schaller if he's waived. But in a pinch it's an option, but we've also seen Biega given that role before also, so not sure if he would be the go to option in this case. The fact that Fantenberg is capable of playing both sides on defense makes him a very useful depth dman though.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

With all the depth at D, I'd like to see Fanny converted to 4th line checker. Great energy guy, more aggressive on the forecheck. Good skater, could cause the opposition fits in a playoff series.

But which of the potential 4th line forwards would you be sitting out to let that happen?  Motte,Beagle,Roussell, Virtanen, MacEwan?  You'd have to consider that and I don't know why you would have him playing out of position on the 4th line rather than having any of them playing there.

36 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But which of the potential 4th line forwards would you be sitting out to let that happen?  Motte,Beagle,Roussell, Virtanen, MacEwan?  You'd have to consider that and I don't know why you would have him playing out of position on the 4th line rather than having any of them playing there.

He has a crazy hits average per game. Which would be effective against a big body team. But he would have to be developed which puts him a couple years away. Plus I thought Jake was going to be a hitter. But maybe his shoulder took a lot of abuse already. 

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has a crazy hits average per game. Which would be effective against a big body team. But he would have to be developed which puts him a couple years away. Plus I thought Jake was going to be a hitter. But maybe his shoulder took a lot of abuse already. 

My impression was that Jake came back after his injury re-hab and resumed his hitting. If anything I assume his pulling away from possible hits is his concern over d-side positioning. He knows that his d-side play likely gets him TOI from Green. I do expect Jake's offence to push 40 points this year. Anywhere from 30 - 40 points would be a solid season as he is unlikely to play top 6 failing injury promotion up the lines. I am exited to see if Miller's acquisition helps Jake's game.  

6 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I sure hope Virtanen isn't going to be a potential 4th liner ..    that would really suck 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My impression was that Jake came back after his injury re-hab and resumed his hitting. If anything I assume his pulling away from possible hits is his concern over d-side positioning. He knows that his d-side play likely gets him TOI from Green. I do expect Jake's offence to push 40 points this year. Anywhere from 30 - 40 points would be a solid season as he is unlikely to play top 6 failing injury promotion up the lines. I am exited to see if Miller's acquisition helps Jake's game.  

30-40 points would be good. But with this older forward group we'v been waiting for uptempo, aggressive forecheck and hitting. If anyone doesn't buy into that. JB has brought in new guys that will. Miller and Podz will lead that very soon. In fact I think if Jake hits more his points will go up. His higher intensity will mean he's going to the net more, where easier garbage goals will come. 

If we have a hitter like Fanny behind all our young D prospects, who can skate and show some offensive ability he might be a cool project up front. Biega has done it in spurts but maybe we can try and make our own Buffy-lugen with Fanny.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 2

On 7/2/2019 at 1:20 AM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

You put together a pairing of Oscar Meyer, man that  a tough mean hotdog. Nevertheless welcome aboard Oscar. 

Just think......we have a Fanny and a Boner ( Jack Rathbone ) in the system. Beat that.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

:picard:

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mad Jon said:

Just think......we have a Fanny and a Boner ( Jack Rathbone ) in the system. Beat that.

"Boner slides it to Fanny, back to Boner, an explosive ripper from the top of the crease and Boner puts it home."

• Haha 1

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
  • -SN- unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Get to know our newly acquired Dman Oscar Fantenberg

hockey players are so humble and down to earth. one of my favorite athletes. they're very different from say, NBA players. 

i remember when we had the Grizz here, and star players just treated the media here like garbage. they were rude, and unpleasant to deal with. 

• Upvote 1