The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Jason Spezza

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Great signing at that price. Nowhere near the Spezza of old but at that price they cant go wrong.

Where does Spezza play in their lineup? Just because a guy is cheap doesn’t mean he’s a good signing.  Leafs are a loser at this deadline, just like they were at the draft.  

Good faceoff guy, reasonable depth/secondary scoring - but not a 4th line, shutdown/matchup center as they appear to be attempting to sell him as.

I can see this deal making more sense if they sell Kadri and get Spezza into easier 3rd line minutes geared to secondary scoring.

But the guy has never been a decent player without the puck - not very good 'possession' player, no grit, losing a step, and not exactly poised to transform into a hard minutes C imo.

Dump Kadri - get a legitimate 4C - and I could see the sense in this move, otherwise as advertised, not so much.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The jokes in this thread are pathetic. 

700k for this asset is a win.

Its like a dubbed in laugh track here. 

Lol, he's never been a defensive player and is a shell of his former offensive self. If they move Kadri and he gets sheltered minutes this is a square peg in a round hole. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The jokes in this thread are pathetic. 

700k for this asset is a win.

Its like a dubbed in laugh track here. 

spezza gets as many points as virtanen.....

...yeah a real steal haha.

Edit: in fact, if Virtanen does not get traded I bet you he gets more points then spazza this year. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

spezza gets as many points as spooner or schaller these days.

This was just a bargain bin mean nothing signing by a team with no cap.

Doesn't move the needle at all but I am sure his broken down body will allow him to mentor the hell our of the kids. Hahaha.....:picard:

This was a great deal both ways. A feel good -theme all around this. Jason gets a fresh start and Toronto needs a stable and cheap player.  A good player and you know what you are getting. He is a pro and he knows he might play less and even sit at some point.

1 minute ago, Spoosh said:

This was a great deal both ways. A feel good -theme all around this. Jason gets a fresh start and Toronto needs a stable and cheap player.  A good player and you know what you are getting. He is a pro and he knows he might play less and even sit at some point.

I think he'll become a scout or coach after hockey he's the right kind of guy for either. 

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

spezza gets as many points as spooner or schaller these days.

This was just a bargain bin mean nothing signing by a team with no cap.

Doesn't move the needle at all but I am sure his broken down body will allow him to mentor the hell our of the kids. Hahaha.....:picard:

unfortunately for the Leafs, Schaller got those points in legit 4th line minutes, whereas Spezza....is a prototypical  one way top 6 or bust - who was a top 6, but he's declined fairly signficantly the past few years.   Lots of top 6 types can extend their careers by playing two way depth hockey later in their career - that does not strike me as Jason Spezza however.  Will be interesting to watch.  I suspect this is something they looked in connection with dumping Kadri - in which case I think they need to add a legit hard minutes shutdown C - something they couldn't be bothered to do last year or last deadline and I think it came back to  bite them, hard,  in the playoffs.

I hadn't realized the Leafs youth needed mentorng - I'd heard the rebuild was done some time ago.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Good faceoff guy, reasonable depth/secondary scoring - but not a 4th line, shutdown/matchup center as they appear to be attempting to sell him as.

I can see this deal making more sense if they sell Kadri and get Spezza into easier 3rd line minutes geared to secondary scoring.

But the guy has never been a decent player without the puck - not very good 'possession' player, no grit, losing a step, and not exactly poised to transform into a hard minutes C imo.

Dump Kadri - get a legitimate 4C - and I could see the sense in this move, otherwise as advertised, not so much.

This

You would be hard pressed to find a worse shutdown center if you were trying.

• Upvote 2