The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone know what the hold up is?

Is it the Marner effect?

Benning trying to unload contracts/salary? 

Any ideas?

We have plenty of cap space to sign him, so it isn’t waiting to unload contracts.

His Dad just got diagnosed with cancer again and there is still a long time to go before training camp, so maybe it just isn’t the most important thing right now.

Just now, Provost said:

We have plenty of cap space to sign him, so it isn’t waiting to unload contracts.

His Dad just got diagnosed with cancer again and there is still a long time to go before training camp, so maybe it just isn’t the most important thing right now.

I was going to mention that. I completely understand if Brock priorities are with his family right now. I'm just thinking to get a contract out of the way might allow him more time to help his Dad. 

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

It's not really low balling any savvy GM would be looking at the actual numbers and the actual numbers say he hasn't stayed healthy for a whole season or scored 30 goals yet. I believe he will but the reality is he hasn't going off of what he has done to date he isnt a 7m player maybe he will be but that's a hard maybe if hes doing a 4 year contract as suggested Timo out scored him by 10 pts and signed for 6m I would say that puts Brock sub 6m om a 4 year term.

....yeah that bolded seems unlikely. Both sides reportedly want longer term and he won't sign less for 6 million.....that last part is pretty clear no matter what some here want to type. Goal scorers don't sign for less than market value.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Just like that crazy overpayment Aho got amirite?

Way to compare apples and mangos lol.  Nice try.  :picard:

Edit: I see your post was supposed to be some type of sarcasm or something.....had to tell.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Boeser is a young star in the league.  His only weakness is his skating.  Signing young stars to long term deals almost always favours the team in the back half of the contract.  I would do 7.5 x 8 years , better yet 7x8 and make him a career Canuck.  Get your stars signed long term like Mackinnon, Horvat and Scheifele.  Unfortunately agents are now wise to this and are looking for shorter term to get to UFA earlier to get a double cash in.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:30 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hrudeys-take-dont-underestimate-brock-boeser-defence/

Im just going to go ahead and say you're wrong, and your opinion is unfounded.

Hrudey's words" He's becoming a better defensive player", which is exactly what I said, he is still developing. Improving yes, but not there yet. His body hasn't even fully developed yet. Unfounded, yeah OK. ::D

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

With Brock's dads health the way it is I wouldn't blame the guy asking or inquiring about a trade to the wild.....anyone else thinking that way?

No.

He already said how much he loves the Canucks.

I highly doubt he would ask for a trade. Every single professional athlete has other stuff and family stuff...some very serious....going on in their lives. Some of them like to be away a bit so they can concentrate on their careers but still taking part in all their families lives.

This is just another panic thought.....silly imo.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

13 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Ok wow I had a lot of trouble interpreting what you had said so that's my bad. Yes I agree the Aho offersheet was low (I'm guessing Bergevin knew he would get matched so he put it right under the 8.5 threshold), smart move by him tbh.

I don't know if it was you who talked about Boeser not being a driver and more of a passenger, but boy is Nylander ever a passenger... He can thank Matthews Kadri Marner and company for those numbers he got. Decent young player (decent in playoffs as well) but I consider Boeser a better player overall. Boeser has scored more goals than Nylander in much less games, and Nylander screwed himself over by waiting until the last day before he was ineligible for the entire season. Dubas had all the leverage at that point in the negotiation. 

Good example though.

Nah I'm a Boeser fan I do think he drives play, you have to have a man on him or he will punish you for leaving him open. That being said I also want to see a cup in Vancouver and good teams get good players to buy in. I dont think Boeser can say hes a better player than Bo. So IMO if hes as classy as people believe he is he wont hold this team ransom and buy in at a reasonable cap hit (sure back load a 4 year deal if he earns the re up that's best for everyone) but demanding 1.5 m more than your captain who just out scored you and un deniably drove play imo ain't so classy.

36 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Nah I'm a Boeser fan I do think he drives play, you have to have a man on him or he will punish you for leaving him open. That being said I also want to see a cup in Vancouver and good teams get good players to buy in. I dont think Boeser can say hes a better player than Bo. So IMO if hes as classy as people believe he is he wont hold this team ransom and buy in at a reasonable cap hit (sure back load a 4 year deal if he earns the re up that's best for everyone) but demanding 1.5 m more than your captain who just out scored you and un deniably drove play imo ain't so classy.

Bo Horvat has 3 more years of development completed than Boeser and is 2 years older

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

At roughly the -6:30 mark.  Kuzma speculates that it could be a similar structure to Meier's where the deal is backloaded with 1 year left to go to free agency.  

$7 million on a back loaded short term contract is too much.

If he wants to hit the $7 million mark, he needs to sign for 7-8 years.

Short term deal and he has to rely solely on past performance and he is a 55 point player, so that earns him $4-6 million per.  Long term contracts and he gets to argue future potential and buying free agent years to bump up the amount.

Vrana just got under $3.5 million per on a 2 year bridge deal as a winger in a similar situation, he had 24 goals and 47 points last season.  Boeser’s 26 goals and 56 points doesn’t earn him more than double the salary.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

At roughly the -6:30 mark.  Kuzma speculates that it could be a similar structure to Meier's where the deal is backloaded with 1 year left to go to free agency.  

If that's the plan (and the rumor of his agent asking for $7M per) are true, then we can expect him to likely be traded as an RFA after 4 years. 
A back loaded contract will likely mean a huge qualifying offer. (probably over $10M per)
We're talking USD here remember.....

At 26/27 he'll still be within his peak window meaning we could really get the riches for him. 

Then you add to that Podkolzin and Hoglander - both of which I see as legit NHL forwards within 2 years, and it doesn't look so bad.

This is what happens when you crap away your star players ELC years. Horvat is a veteran already and hasn't sniffed a thing other than his jock strap!

Also, $7M USD is almost $10M Canadian, and in BC, 50% of that goes down the crapper in taxes. 
Now take off escrow fees and agent fees, plus the cost of living in Vancouver....

.... you can bet Ben Hankinson mentioned all this to Brock, plus the fact that his dad's sick and Minnesota only has a 9% max income tax.

https://neuvoo.ca/tax-calculator/?iam=&uet_calculate=calculate&salary=9240000&from=year&region=British+Columbia

And people wonder why Canada hasn't sniffed a Cup (other than the one covering your junk) since 1993.

Some interesting notes on that page. $9.2M CDN per year = $4,700 an hour. 
Beats serving fries, eh

Edited by fecklund

12 hours ago, mll said:

Backloading should be a hill Benning is willing to die on as a non-starter.  Hopefully the next CBA addresses this anyway though.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Backloading should be a hill Benning is willing to die on as a non-starter.  Hopefully the next CBA addresses this anyway though.

If Boeser is really asking for 7 per year, this deal should be done already.  7 years times 8 years.  That’s a friggin’ ton of money for Brock, and a really good deal for us.