The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Let’s not trade Boeser how bout. Let’s get him signed and move on please. Then we can all do the happy dance, sit down and watch some Canucks Hockey :towel:

Can’t wait to see that team fly out.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Not even close.

Bieksa was 6' 1" and 198 lbs... and he was a physical fitness fanatic.... had an exceptionally strong upper body.

Far heavier built than Dumba.

Umm nope.   That’s ONE of his listed heights, anyone that’s seen him play live knows how little he was compared to most of the guys out there - he played most of his career at 5”11and change and around 190lbs - just like Chelios.   Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good fighter or physical because he was - but a lot of other guys his size have been too.  Wendel Clark (although more solidly built), Tie Domi (shorter and stockier), Stan Jonathon, Rick Rypien etc.  Anyone thats gone down and seen him up close at the rink or met him in person knows what I’m talking about - a lot of guys heights are “fudged” or rounded up an inch or more ... Kesler  was taller for sure and even he didn’t seem that big - lanky maybe but not tall meeting him in person  too, maybe 6’ 1  and he’s definitely a couple inches taller then Beiksa side by side and listed 6’2”....tale of the tape is telling, he fought  guys bigger then him that are listed 6’1-6’2” all the time - if he was really that tall why did he look so much shorter?

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  Not sure some on here passed math class.  When Schaller and Eriksson get put on waivers and Roussel goes on LTIR that will free up over $5 million.  So we have plenty of money to sign Brock short term.  Also next year and the year after we have millions coming off the books so there is also room for Brock for the foreseeable future.  How are people even calculating our long term cap situation and saying we can't sign Brock to a long term deal when none of our players other than Myers are even signed beyond the next 4 seasons?

LTIR buys Benning time but what happens when Roussel is healthy in December?

My math gives them a max of $6.2M + Roussel's $3.0 for a few months (4.15 + 1.025 + 1.025)

Having said that, I think there may be opportunities to move players after camp and in the early part of the season when teams know what their line up looks like and find there may be holes to fill.  An actual trade is a better solution than waivers imo.  Schaller's $1.9 works for me.

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

My math gives them a max of $6.2M + Roussel's $3.0 for a few months (4.15 + 1.025 + 1.025)

Having said that, I think there may be opportunities to move players after camp and in the early part of the season when teams know what their line up looks like and find there may be holes to fill.  An actual trade is a better solution than waivers imo.  Schaller's $1.9 works for me.

3 players waived - need a roster spot for Boeser.   It's 1.075M that can be buried this season.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, mll said:

3 players waived - need a roster spot for Boeser.   It's 1.075M that can be buried this season.  

the writing has to be on the wall for Schaller doesn't it? And Loui as well. With the inevitable injuries to Edler and Tanev I think we'll be fine. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Well we can always make a trade.  But my bet is someone gets injured and therefore we won't need to make one...

I am not sure why I keep hearing from people including the media that there isn't room to sign Boeser to a long term contract.  Squire Barnes said it last night on the news too, he said they have a little over $4 million in space... but that doesn't account for the fact that number includes 25 bodies and Boeser would make 26.

Playing around with Capfriendly and demoting the most likely candidates to make a 23 man roster (Schaller, Eriksson, and Biega or Fantenberg)... I am left with room for signing Boeser to almost $7.5 million.  Add in Roussel's LTIR and we have plenty of space for the foreseeable future without even being near the cap.  If you have followed the Canucks even slightly you will be pretty sure that another player will be injured by the time Roussel is off LTIR.

I don't know if Boeser is wanting a contract starting with an 8 on a long term deal, but it seems like having $7.5 million even without any roster tinkering is plenty of breathing room.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not sure why I keep hearing from people including the media that there isn't room to sign Boeser to a long term contract.  Squire Barnes said it last night on the news too, he said they have a little over $4 million in space... but that doesn't account for the fact that number includes 25 bodies and Boeser would make 26.

Playing around with Capfriendly and demoting the most likely candidates to make a 23 man roster (Schaller, Eriksson, and Biega or Fantenberg)... I am left with room for signing Boeser to almost $7.5 million.  Add in Roussel's LTIR and we have plenty of space for the foreseeable future without even being near the cap.

I don't know if Boeser is wanting a contract starting with an 8 on a long term deal, but it seems like having $7.5 million even without any roster tinkering is plenty of breathing room.

Short term injury early in the season when no cap space has been banked - they probably want a bit of room to keep some flexibility for recalls.  

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Playing around with Capfriendly and demoting the most likely candidates to make a 23 man roster (Schaller, Eriksson, and Biega or Fantenberg)... I am left with room for signing Boeser to almost $7.5 million.  Add in Roussel's LTIR and we have plenty of space for the foreseeable future without even being near the cap.  If you have followed the Canucks even slightly you will be pretty sure that another player will be injured by the time Roussel is off LTIR.

Exactly.  Most of the media never went to school so they didn't take math.  Benning can also easily make a trade to fit Roussel when he comes back.  Also, it is not written in stone that he comes back in December.  He blew out his knee so it could take another 2 months before he is ready.  Nobody knows the full extent of his injury.  Everyone recovers differently.  Look at Juolevi, everyone thought he would be ready for camp but it looks like he is still rehabbing his knee.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Short term injury early in the season when no cap space has been banked - they probably want a bit of room to keep some flexibility for recalls.  

So with Roussel on LTIR you have millions for that, it isn't banked cap but it is available relief to call up players.  It has been confirmed repeatedly that you don't have to have room at the start of the season before putting the players on LTIR... it can be done on the last day of training camp.

We also have the ability to play with a 22 man roster in the event of injury and not call someone up in the case of an emergency.  It isn't a bar to signing Boeser to whatever contract we need to, it just makes things tighter and a little more fanangling involved.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Bingo.

And given the Keller comparable, we should be able to sign Boeser to a similar, slightly richer $7.25-$7.5m x 8 year deal without ANY issues. Despite the tabloid quality media around here's insistence on inciting panic around our cap space.

I don't know if Benning and co are attempting to undercut that drastically or what, but by all appearances this is a hold up on Boeser's agent's end, not management.

Either way, there's zero chance Benning is winning the PR battle (he's either the guy who can't get his player to camp or he's the guy who overpaid), so he may as well stick to his guns and 'win' the contract one by signing him to a fair deal. Whether that's 8 years at $7.25-$7.5'ish, 7 x $7, 6 x $6.5, 5 x $6 or 4 x $5.5 (all 'ish')...we wait and see.

6 years x $6.6 would be poetic given his jersey # ::D

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Given the reality and flexibility of the cap space we have to sign Brock, this whole saga has really caused me to dislike Dahliwal and his Chicken little attitude towards the negotiations. I don't know if it's tabloid mentality to spark conversation or just pure pessimism. Either way his shtick is tiresome.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Why the hate on media all the time? The media is not always out to get Vancouver.  Calgary, Toronto, and Winnipeg are all going through the exact same thing and media is calling them out too.   

Canucks currently have 4,158,461 in cap space with 25 players signed (not including Brock).

Regardless of Brock signing, two players will need to be buried for us to hit the 23 man roster. likely one D (Biega/Fantanberg) and Schaller.  Schaller will give you 1.075 in cap savings and Biega will give you 825k for a total of 2.1 million in savings.  That bumps Canucks up to total space up to 6,058,461.  

Roussel will be on LTIR to start which will open up a roster spot for Brock to make up a 23 man roster.  While Roussel being on LTIR will give Canucks somewhat temporary relief, it doesn’t help the Canucks long term.  Roussel is expected to be back in November and as soon as he’s deemed healthy he must be activated. That means Canucks either need someone else to be on LTIR or another player will be waived (eriksson). 

So unless you’re willing to roll the dice and bank on a trade or another LTIR to happen in the first month Canucks really only have a maximum of 7,133,461 in cap space to work with. While the likely hood of an injury is high, if it doesn’t happen canucks would be forced to waive two players (eriksson + goldy?) and only go forward with 21 man roster. OR canucks would be forced to trade someone under the gun, removing any bargaining power we would have. Either way they are not situations we want to risk. 

Brock is not signed long term for anything under 7.5 or else it would have been done by now.  That is why long term seems to be out of the question right now without some sort of extra roster movement. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat