The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap information, misconceptions, Rosters makeup, things you really should know before you post

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

On 7/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, oldnews said:

how does a team conduct a #proper-rebuild, stockpile all the picks in the process, and manage to have not a single waiver exempt asset in their lineup?

What's important in a #properrebuild is the optics of getting the picks.  What you do actually DO with them is irrelevant.  Exhibit A -- trading them away for rentals.

• Cheers 2

On 7/5/2019 at 2:41 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Good post, and that's without moving either Sutter or Eriksson.

Well i think we can retain 50% of LE's contract and ship him off for 3 mil worst case scenario we have.. we surely need the cap space but need the roster spot even more... 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:28 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

The key here is what we call breach of contract as of now neither Eriksson nor Sutter has breached their contact. There are no performance base contracts other then ELC ones therefore a player can not breach his contract base on point production. Always remember one fundament principle of contract law is; it is just as important what is not in a contract as what is in the contract.

Ask the NHL and NHLP why they don't want this.

LA got out of Richards contract due to a breach of contract, both the NHL and NHLPA would have had to agree that their was a breach.

Other teams have actually not removed these contracts from their Caps but have used LTIR rules that are clearly stated in the CBA.

Luongo is a special circumstance,

1) He was not injured at the end of the season

2) A special decision would have to be made by the NHL to put him on LTIR ( this could still happen this season or at any point till his contract ends).

3) Flo likes the recapture it has minimal effect on them and Van disagrees with it giving the NHL reason to let it stand 

3) These are just possibilities have nothing to do with contract law but comes down to the player, 

i) Luongo might have wanted to re-tire on his own terms and refused to work with Flo or Van on an NHL settlement for LTIR

ii) Luongo is helping out Flo by not complicating their Cap issues

iii) Luongo could want to stick it to the Canucks for the way he was treated here in his last season

I am not an expert on knowing what anyone is thinking and would hope Luongo is a better person then this. My experience is in Contract law and accounting not on peoples feelings.

1) the media is misinformed as much as the fan is on CBA and cap issues or

2) the media is here to create headlines and get reactions ( if so it seems to be working with you at least).

In the OP I stated that we could sign Boeser on the first day of the season this is what I actually believe what Toronto could do. The person who replaces Horton contract does not have to be currently signed Dubas did state the team would get as creative as possible. google Kyle Dubas on Marner talks you will fine where he says it.

This all seems very interesting since I did see GM Talon in a press interveiw state that it was painful watching Luongo walk to the bus after games last season...  and one of Luongo’s statements was” after listening to my body”..  

This all seems to add speculation to the matter.  ... if he wasn’t in pain , would he play?

then there’s this beauty, .. my apologies if it has already been posted..  but perhaps the Canucks felt obligated to return the favour given by the Panthers.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/did-panthers-shoot-themselves-in-the-free-agency-foot-by-pushing-luongo-to-officially-retire

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This all seems very interesting since I did see GM Talon in a press interveiw state that it was painful watching Luongo walk to the bus after games last season...  and one of Luongo’s statements was” after listening to my body”..  

This all seems to add speculation to the matter.  ... if he wasn’t in pain , would he play?

then there’s this beauty, .. my apologies if it has already been posted..  but perhaps the Canucks felt obligated to return the favour given by the Panthers.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/did-panthers-shoot-themselves-in-the-free-agency-foot-by-pushing-luongo-to-officially-retire

Karma. Panthers have been, and always will be a joke if a franchise.  

Great post OP! Take my +1. 

But seriously this is CDC gotta have thicker skin people are gonna pick anything they can apart these same people often never post ideas/concepts of their own. They come here to goad people into making reactive posts and looking foolish which you immediately after making your well thought out post indulged. Chillout. 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, Bubble Man said:

Not for a 1st and 3rd. 

Canucks likely don't finish lower than 15th in the next 2 years so lets look at the last 10 years of >15th 1st rounders

Brock, McCann, Hunter S, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroder, - there is only one guy on that list I wouldn't part with for Miller. So basically a 16% chance they get a replacement quality player for Miller. I'm trading McCann+one of:Madden/Dipietro/Brizbois/Lockwood  all day every day for a 50-60 pt 220lb top 6 pwf.

Go pop off somewhere else bubble buster. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Canucks likely don't finish lower than 15th in the next 2 years so lets look at the last 10 years of >15th 1st rounders

Brock, McCann, Hunter S, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroder, - there is only one guy on that list I wouldn't part with for Miller. So basically a 16% chance they get a replacement quality player for Miller. I'm trading McCann+one of:Madden/Dipietro/Brizbois/Lockwood  all day every day for a 50-60 pt 220lb top 6 pwf.

Go pop off somewhere else bubble buster. 

So let me get this straight. You’re going to say the Canucks finish no lower than 15th based on assumptions. Then turn around and use historical data to discredit the 1st round pick. Cherry picking Historical data that showcases 2 out of 6 players drafted by Benning. 

But wait...

there’s more!!!

the only 2 that are legitimate NHL hockey players. 

Im not even mad, I think it’s adorable. 

39 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

So let me get this straight. You’re going to say the Canucks finish no lower than 15th based on assumptions. Then turn around and use historical data to discredit the 1st round pick. Cherry picking Historical data that showcases 2 out of 6 players drafted by Benning

But wait...

there’s more!!!

the only 2 that are legitimate NHL hockey players. 

Im not even mad, I think it’s adorable. 

Nice to see you praising JB. Ill take this as a positive post from you for once. 

EDIT: Cherry picking ok lets take 2017 how many players 15-31 would be a decent swap for Miller? None. lets try 2016 then Chychrun? Fabbro? hmmm. still cherry picking 2015 Boeser, Svechnikov? Barzal. 

So lets say 2 players maybe 3 lets call it 5 out of 47 picks that would make this trade a loss. Percentages not getting better......  

Edited by hammertime

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

Nice to see you praising JB. Ill take this as a positive post from you for once. 

EDIT: Cherry picking ok lets take 2017 how many players 15-31 would be a decent swap for Miller? None. lets try 2016 then Chychrun? Fabbro? hmmm. still cherry picking 2015 Boeser, Svechnikov? Barzal. 

So lets say 2 players maybe 3 lets call it 5 out of 47 picks that would make this trade a loss. Percentages not getting better......  

The selective eye site is strong in you. I praise JB all the time but you only want blood. You never see a mosquito sucking watermelon though, so I get it. 

You act like TJ Miller is a hall of fame shoe in. I will bet a testicle (have 3 anyway) that you have never knowingly watched TJ Miller play. 

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

LaBamba? dat u?

Question: do you hate small D-men?

Question: Am I actually for real serious? Or am I trying to entertain myself? 

Again, I’ve read the board rules word for word and it clearly states that dupe accounts are strictly prohibited. Therefore, it is impossible for me to be anyone other than Bubble Man because I simply do not, and will not, break the rules. 

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, BlastPast said:

No, not really.

Well we don’t have much in the way of prospects down there in the way of forwards: McEwan, Lind, Gadjovich, and Jasek, that is about as thin as I’ve seen Utica at forward in terms of prospects and nothing to add in the way of draft picks or young free agents this year - unless Gaudette gets sent down, and that would be a shame. Defence is alright with Rafferty, Teves, Juolevi, Brisebois, and Sautner. Goaltending, no one.

So that pretty much sucks, but it should be better in 2020/21 if Lockwood comes, maybe Madden? We took a lot of forwards this year - maybe one or two of them make the AHL in 20/21, maybe Hollander comes over early? Defence in 20/21 might be able to add Woo, Rathbone, Utunen, and Elliot to the AHL, but probably graduate Juolevi at some point during this season counting on our injury history.