The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Anddddd the Benning haters can suck it! Much better team now Bennings handcuffs are off as per ntcs and ntcs, just one last one to go and if we retain say 30-40% of LE's salary then he may look pretty good for teams looking for defensive forwards who are good on the PK.. i'd hate to throw in a pick but we need him gone but hopefully with no sweetener.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

When I think of Ferland, I think of a relentless forechecker.  The team needed that - in the form of guys that are skilled enough to play in the top 6.

They got not one, but two of these guys this summer - on great deals - that gives Green various options, ensuring that they have someone to fill that role on EP's line  - some size, speed, physicality, space-making, goes to the net and hard areas - exactly what was needed, between the whistles.

The bonus with Ferland is that he wears on, wears down opponents bluelines - and the fact he's tough in terms of standing up is a bonus.  I don't really want to see him having to scrap too often - both for the sake of his personal health, and the team's durability, but just that presence alone makes a difference imo.  Is a weasel like Kadri as likely to take liberties when there is a guy who will feed him his teeth on the ice?  Not as likely.

Ferland will make his reputation, his legacy here, I think.  These will be his best years.  He will raise a child here.  His wife and Mother voted for this destination.  He is just entering his prime.  And he knows his worth, and has a feel for the Canucks. 

If this team wins a cup it will be 2 or 3 years from now; maybe 4 at the latest.  Ferland will lead the team.  Along with Horvat.  Different types of leaders, but similar enough. A 28-yr old Ferland will be fiercesome.    Iginla, but meaner, lol.  Same resolve.

No idea how he ended up leaving Calgary and Carolina.  I'd keep that guy.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

In the Sedins era, top line was Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

If Pettersson as the new Henrik, Boeser as the new Daniel, Ferland could be the Burrows.

Hope that line clicks and Ferland could still get his game to another level by scoring 50+ points.

I think that is realistic.  Ferland will clear a lot of space for these guys.  And he's good enough with the puck that if B or EP pass him the puck he will be more than capable.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I agree.. and I'd add Pearson to the list I produced before.

There's different ways to add "grit" to your lineup - hits, forecheck, battle level in the corners, agitating, fighting, etc.. but our new roster is chalk full of guys who bring some kind of "hard to play against" element.

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Leivo - Beagle - Motte

Roussel

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

...and Pettersson is a competitive phenom, Myers is huge and both Tanev and Stecher are warriors in their own zone.  

The crux of it is, of course, that the team finally looks to have the skill as well. The defence may be "average" but all of those guys excel at transitioning the puck up the ice.. and up front we have a ton of guys who like to shoot.  There's 15-20 goal potential up and down the lineup.  

I can't shut up about it but I honestly don't think we're getting the credit we deserve as a nicely put together squad.  

To your point about Guddy, it finally feels like we have a complete team and that should elevate everyone's game.  

Totally. 

We're so rich in players now that we tend to forget about Pearson.  Amazing.

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes,  (and then Juolevi, Woo, Poldkozin later) a  LOT of players on the upswing.  Pettersson could be the next Gretzky, assuming our BC guy Barzal doesn't beat him to it.  (Still wish we'd found a way to get Barzal.) 

The D you mention as average,  that's fair.  But Juolevi and Woo are coming, and Rafferty looked great at the end of last year,  so it might improve quite a lot over the next 18 months.  I hate depending on Edler and Tanev for top-4 minutes.  Hate it.  If they aren't injured, they're looking slow and put upon.  Not top-2 D, not even close.  The good news is that Stecher went up about 2 places in the depth chart last year.  Huge breakthrough year for him.  For that reason I'd put him in the 4th D position ahead of Edler.  He carried the team last year.  And he didn't look out of place on Team Canada either.

I see this team winning 2 cups in the next 5 years, similar to Chicago: in alternating years: 2022, 2024.

Edited by gameburn
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Battlemonger said:

Really liking what is happening with the team. Start the season already! :towel:

Haven't anticipated a year like this since I can remember.  (I've been following the team since 1992).

We've been living for the future for so long, that we can't find the present!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I agree.. and I'd add Pearson to the list I produced before.

There's different ways to add "grit" to your lineup - hits, forecheck, battle level in the corners, agitating, fighting, etc.. but our new roster is chalk full of guys who bring some kind of "hard to play against" element.

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Leivo - Beagle - Motte

Roussel

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

...and Pettersson is a competitive phenom, Myers is huge and both Tanev and Stecher are warriors in their own zone.  

The crux of it is, of course, that the team finally looks to have the skill as well. The defence may be "average" but all of those guys excel at transitioning the puck up the ice.. and up front we have a ton of guys who like to shoot.  There's 15-20 goal potential up and down the lineup.  

I can't shut up about it but I honestly don't think we're getting the credit we deserve as a nicely put together squad.  

To your point about Guddy, it finally feels like we have a complete team and that should elevate everyone's game.  

In that forward group, only Pettersson, Baertschi, sutter, Leivo, and Motte are under 200 pounds. 

Only pettersson is below 190. 

On defense, Stetcher and Hughes are both sub 200, but everyone else is about  200 or more (tanev 197 and Benn 199). 

Heavy lineup. And those who aren’t heavy are highly skilled to make up for it

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, gameburn said:

Have to quote you again.

Benning's mix here is very good.

He has a tendency to see the best in people.  In players too.  So Gudbranson, Sbisa, Baertschi: all had top ratings at one point or another.  He thought he could bring them back to this.

The downside is all the players who didn't get back to those heights (too many to mention, but let's let Vey and Gudbranson stand in for the host).  Most of these were via trade.

The upside is all the players he has picked up in free agency and the draft who he hoped to bring the best out of:

(1) Juolevi led the D on the finest Junior team since Canada's 2005 fortress. Fantastic team, required viewing for any fan.  (This is from a country with a population not much more than the Greater Toronto Area.)  Bouchard and Sergachev were more talented, but they hadn't led a team like this one.  Greatness matters to Benning.

(2) Ferland, as a babe, schooled the Canucks in 2015.  He has gotten better.

(3) Beagle won a cup.  On a team on the downslide, never should have won that cup.

(4) Miller was a forgotten star on, arguably, the best team in a generation.  (Didn't win a cup, true.)

(5) Pettersson, enough said.

(6) Hoglander, he may very well crack the lineup this Fall.  Brimming with character and swagger.  Trains like a machine. Character.

(7) Tryamkin, the guy is going to be a great player, if not here then somewhere else.  Picked up as a late pick

(8) Podkolzin. daring pick.  You can do this when it doesn't matter if he ever plays here, the team is so deep.

(9) Boeser, Hughes, all the character that has been drafted.  Madden in the wings.   

We've watched Benning, seen how he treats the people that came and went (Gagner to Marlies rather than mistreated) -- sticking with Goldobin and Baertschi... 

character matters.  And Benning has it.

Well said. This teams future is brighter than it probably ever has been before. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, gameburn said:

Haven't anticipated a year like this since I can remember.  (I've been following the team since 1992).

We've been living for the future for so long, that we can't find the present!!

It could be worse, been watching since 1975 and still no cup but this is the most excited i've been ever to see a season start...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gameburn said:

(1) Juolevi led the D on the finest Junior team since Canada's 2005 fortress. Fantastic team, required viewing for any fan.  (This is from a country with a population not much more than the Greater Toronto Area.)  Bouchard and Sergachev were more talented, but they hadn't led a team like this one.  Greatness matters to Benning.

(2) Ferland, as a babe, schooled the Canucks in 2015.  He has gotten better.

(3) Beagle won a cup.  On a team on the downslide, never should have won that cup.

(4) Miller was a forgotten star on, arguably, the best team in a generation.  (Didn't win a cup, true.)

(5) Pettersson, enough said.

(6) Hoglander, he may very well crack the lineup this Fall.  Brimming with character and swagger.  Trains like a machine. Character.

(7) Tryamkin, the guy is going to be a great player, if not here then somewhere else.  Picked up as a late pick

(8) Podkolzin. daring pick.  You can do this when it doesn't matter if he ever plays here, the team is so deep.

(9) Boeser, Hughes, all the character that has been drafted.  Madden in the wings.   

We've watched Benning, seen how he treats the people that came and went (Gagner to Marlies rather than mistreated) -- sticking with Goldobin and Baertschi... 

character matters.  And Benning has it.

Washington was not on a 'downslide'.  That is ridiculous.

Hoglander will have already started his year in the SHL someone else here already said. He won't be at training camp.

• Upvote 1