The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Stars shopping Julius Honka

14 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Wasn’t Honka the apple of the eye for so many Canucks fans? Just goes to show, no one here can evaluate talent as much as they like to think they can. And the simple fact that not all first round picks turn into stars. 

People never seem to look around the league and temper expectations. If a Canucks first rounder flops, people complain about Benning etc, rather than realizing it’s more common to flop or be an adequate NHLer at best, vs being a star. This is actually why Benning and co deserve MORE credit, they seem to have been drafting higher probability hits in all rounds than most. 

If we can get him for scraps sure, but he’s a 23 yr old project. Likely AHL or Europe fodder at this stage. 

Schaller straight up might work. Dallas is going for it, Schaller could be good bottom 6 depth for them. 

LOL Schaller couldn't even make our lineup, let alone him being traded for a young D-man that still might have an upside. Canucks would have to give up Goldobin if not, a smidgen more. You have to give to get

4 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL Schaller couldn't even make our lineup, let alone him being traded for a young D-man that still might have an upside. Canucks would have to give up Goldobin if not, a smidgen more. You have to give to get

Schaller and Goldobin? Ok. deal done for Honka 

11 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I think that is a fair trade. And the stars may even be willing to move out some cap to make that happen.

But yeah that would hurt to do. I really like Oli and think he'll be great, so I think I'd fall on the side of not making that trade, keeping Loui (oh god...) and just waiting his contract out. 

Side note - I can't believe we are likely gonna have a $5 million dollar cap hit Utica player for 3 more years :(

assuming we can't rid Eriksson. Ugh, yeah

Honka at 23 years old is still young. Might be worth taking a risk on? 

Goldobin for Honka is a trade I'd do. Both players probably need a change of scenery. Though I don't know why Dallas is wanting to rid themselves of Honka. 

Is he dropping on their depth chart? If so, why. I'm curious to know why the Stars are wanting to trade a former first round defenseman - right handed, too?? 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know this hurts, but would JB do this to dump Loui?

Loui + Juiolevi for Honka?  I guess the Stars are too capped out though.  

Canucks cannot afford to trade Juolevi. They are far too thin on prospect depth on defense. Honka is a bust, and is waiver eligible, so he won't help much.

The future of our D core depends on Hughes and Juolevi, and to a lesser extent Woo, Rathbone, and the return of Tryamkin.

I'd rather sweeten Loui with a forward (Virtanen?) than further weaken the defense.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The dude was benched for a boatload of games. He’s Probably Poulliot 2.0 “lol”

he’s now a project that either a team finds a way to improve his game or he’s AHL / Europe fodder.

Just because a player is drafted in the first round doesn’t mean anything. He’s 23 turning 24 this year and is basically showing like Gaunce did for the Canucks. Good AHL stats but can’t show he can do anything at the NHL level. He’s also 5’11” 180 so if he’s not producing offence he’s not doing anything for you. 

“Lol”

On 7/12/2019 at 9:35 AM, KKnight said:

Van: Hanzal

Honka

Dallas: Eriksson ( maybe some retention) 

Mid tier prospect

Pick of some sort 

mind you i dont think thats enough . just a thought. 

I had a Hanzal Honka once. It was painful but after surgery, I was as good as new. 

• Haha 3

Back in the day I was hoping we’d get him somehow. He has a good skillset and I remember him breaking out from behind the net and make plays on the other end in no time (world juniors). He just doesn't seem to make it work at the NHL level. Too bad.

2 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Back in the day I was hoping we’d get him somehow. He has a good skillset and I remember him breaking out from behind the net and make plays on the other end in no time (world juniors). He just doesn't seem to make it work at the NHL level. Too bad.

Small, and soft player, who doesn’t produce any offence.  He’s off to Europe.  Cool name though.  

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would be a good sign for this organization if we aren't interested.  We're at the point in our rebuild where we no longer need or should take on projects.

I think the desire to find good young players that may need a change of scenery should always be present (not saying Honka is one such player). That'd be like not wanting more elite centers because we have Bo and Petey. Can never have enough of a good thing and if you can get a hidden gem through reclamation projects which are generally the cheapest assets you can get then it shouldn't matter whether you're a playoff contender or a bottom feeder. Cheap talent is cheap talent if you believe they can turn their fortunes around.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think the desire to find good young players that may need a change of scenery should always be present (not saying Honka is one such player). That'd be like not wanting more elite centers because we have Bo and Petey. Can never have enough of a good thing and if you can get a hidden gem through reclamation projects which are generally the cheapest assets you can get then it shouldn't matter whether you're a playoff contender or a bottom feeder. Cheap talent is cheap talent if you believe they can turn their fortunes around.

We still have projects, the least of which is Goldobin.  Competitive teams cannot afford to be loaded up with them, in particular when they require waivers. 

Who is Honka going to displace in the roster?  Are we just going to "Corrado" him in the pressbox, then send him down to Utica for "conditioning", then continue to monkey around with him and stifle his career and development?

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, Hutton Wink said:

We still have projects, the least of which is Goldobin.  Competitive teams cannot afford to be loaded up with them, in particular when they require waivers. 

Who is Honka going to displace in the roster?  Are we just going to "Corrado" him in the pressbox, then send him down to Utica for "conditioning", then continue to monkey around with him and stifle his career and development?

I mean, if we trade one project for another we won't be overloaded with them. Especially since the only real project player we have is Goldy, still unsigned as well, so to say we are loaded up on project players is a bit of an overstatement. Our defensive depth isn't exactly so deep that we can't find a home for Honka here and there either. Especially with the injuries we tend to deal with. Tanev is liable to get injured any day now, and it's the offseason. And no, I am not suggesting we Corrado him why would I advocate trading for someone to not even look at them? Not even sure why you brought it up but hey I'll answer it anyway.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, if we trade one project for another we won't be overloaded with them. Especially since the only real project player we have is Goldy, still unsigned as well, so to say we are loaded up on project players is a bit of an overstatement. Our defensive depth isn't exactly so deep that we can't find a home for Honka here and there either. Especially with the injuries we tend to deal with. Tanev is liable to get injured any day now, and it's the offseason. And no, I am not suggesting we Corrado him why would I advocate trading for someone to not even look at them? Not even sure why you brought it up but hey I'll answer it anyway.

The problem is waivers.  Bring in a PoolParty or Honka, they have to stay on the roster.  We already have Goldobin as an iffy in-and-out player as it is.  Same goes for any time someone goes on waivers and the Pokemon crew all want to grab him.  "Try-outs" are for the pre-season, not when you're trying to win games.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

The problem is waivers.  Bring in a PoolParty or Honka, they have to stay on the roster.  We already have Goldobin as an iffy in-and-out player as it is.  Same goes for any time someone goes on waivers and the Pokemon crew all want to grab him.  "Try-outs" are for the pre-season, not when you're trying to win games.

If we're bringing in a player like Poolparty or Honka - they better be able to beat out some of the current players on the roster. I can't see that happening unfortunately

If the Canucks were to try to nab either of those players you've mentioned, I'd have to believe that Goldobin is on the way out. 

There's not a lot of room for experimental forwards. The roster as it stands is crowded, and we need to be moving bodies out soon. 

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Loui likes being in Texas, moved his family back there for the offseason.

Dallas also exploring options to move Cogliano....perhaps a deal involving those pieces could align as well

Eriksson+Goldobin+ 3rd round pick for Cogliano and Honka?

I would do that trade all day every day. Dallas probably wouldnt though and is close to the cap i believe.

I bet they would consider:

Eriksson and Goldobin for Cogliano and Comeau. Possibly a later pick and Honka added on either side. Lots of parts but could make sense for both teams.

Edited by Silver Ghost

On 7/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

The dude was benched for a boatload of games. He’s Probably Poulliot 2.0 “lol”

he’s now a project that either a team finds a way to improve his game or he’s AHL / Europe fodder.

Just because a player is drafted in the first round doesn’t mean anything. He’s 23 turning 24 this year and is basically showing like Gaunce did for the Canucks. Good AHL stats but can’t show he can do anything at the NHL level. He’s also 5’11” 180 so if he’s not producing offence he’s not doing anything for you. 

“Lol”

What, and you think Schaller wasn't benched just as much? Pouliot was a project player when he got here and he fetched a 4th rounder and a low end prospect. Schaller wouldn't even get a back of pucks, let alone a project player like Honka. Theres a big difference between a 28 year old reject that couldn't even crack the 4th line on opening night one of the worst teams in league, than a 23 year old 1st round pick Dman thats still has a chance of being a regular. You know what project player means right? A guy with upside, which Schaller unfortunately doesn't.

Actually, when a player gets drafted in the 1st round, thats 23 and has already played in the NHL, it actually means something, VALUE. As little as it seems, Honka is actually worth something. Honka's played less than a 100 games in the NHL, someone will take a chance on him. The trade offers proposed by the smarter people on this site (thats not you by the way) have included Goldobin  + +, and you think Schaller whos value is absolutely nothing can be traded for Honka? What are you smoking

Troy Stetcher is smaller than Honka, so by your idiotic line of thinking, if Stetcher doesn't score, hes not doing nothing for the team. Try watching the games rather than thinking you're analysis holds weight which it doesn't

"LOL" damn, so witty.