Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Will Be a Tougher Team in 2019-20

Rate this topic


SwaggyCanuckMZ
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, SwaggyCanuckMZ said:

I think the Canucks are definitely going to be a tougher team this season with all the additions to the forward group (Ferland and Miller) as well as the defence (Myers, Benn). Looking forward to Ferland laying out guys that look the wrong way at EP40!

 

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-tougher-team-2019-20-three-reasons/

I really hope we don't make the same mistake with Ferland that we did with Kassian.    We didn't brought Ferland in to "protect" and "avenge" EP or to be an enforcer.

 

We brought in Ferland because he's big, he's physical, he can score and play anywhere in the top 9.  His purpose was to make the team tougher to play against, not make other teams be less physical on EP specifically.  We don't need Ferland to be running across the ice "looking" for these hits, he just needs to continue doing what he does, no more, no less.  What I'm afraid of, is everytime EP will get hit (fairly or not), Ferland will automatically drops the glove, get called for instigating and/or possibly suspended OR worse relive the Bertuzzi saga all over again.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

I really hope we don't make the same mistake with Ferland that we did with Kassian.    We didn't brought Ferland in to "protect" and "avenge" EP or to be an enforcer.

 

We brought in Ferland because he's big, he's physical, he can score and play anywhere in the top 9.  His purpose was to make the team tougher to play against, not make other teams be less physical on EP specifically.  We don't need Ferland to be running across the ice "looking" for these hits, he just needs to continue doing what he does, no more, no less.  What I'm afraid of, is everytime EP will get hit (fairly or not), Ferland will automatically drops the glove, get called for instigating and/or possibly suspended OR worse relive the Bertuzzi saga all over again.

I get what your saying but he doesn’t fight often enough or at least hasn’t in the past for that to be a factor unless he completely goes full “enforcer” at some point later on because his skills erode or doesn’t get the ice time.   Complaints about him from former CAL fans were that he tends to avoid the big men that can fight and doesn’t stick up enough for his star players .... which is kind of counterintuitive for this article.  I’m sure the truth is somewhere inbetween.

 

Looking at his career fights he has a few against decent fighters, most of them are not.   Last year he fought 6 times tying his most in a year, done one other time, and then seasons of one or two per year, around what Horvat does.  Career wise in five years he’s fought about the same as an average  enforcer used too in their hey-days.  

 

Doesn’t mean he won’t be a deterrent, he has decent size and throws some mean punches.   His game is contact, reminds me a little of Darren McCarty that way and even Brad May, a tough player with some skill too.   He fought more then he did the past two seasons probably because it was a contract year and that he was struggling with concussion issues earlier.

 

  All that said I’m happy we have him and could see him getting a chance to play with EP and Boeser like the article said, I truly think that EP was getting mobbed way too much down the stretch and it got in his head and also hope that Ferland can and is willing to help put a stop to that.  Also have some hopes that he can have a career year point wise playing with these guy or Horvat.

 

Edit:  sad thing about the article might be the most important information...how many times we have beat Vegas and SJ the last couple years ... what was it again?  3 times?  Hard to believe.. SJ isn’t going to as good this year, and won’t be nearly as good when we start peaking in three years either...Vegas is definitely still and in the future our biggest competition.  Glass almost ready and some are calling him the next Toews already.  SJ has little in the pipe and are aging fast plus have lost Pavelski and maybe Thornton although I could see him signing a really cheap contract for one more kick at the can with them...

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good article, I like The Hockey Writers, I don't find them biased or negative. I think they're pretty bang on with their assessment or prediction. It's also inetresting that they're picking Benn to be the grittier of him and Myers. Benn might bring that "Bieksa grit" the team has been needing. It's also nice to read about the positives that they think Ferland will bring, like the physical side, the intimidation, and helping Jake along. No mention of Miller, but I think he's going to bring some offensive excitement to the Top 6.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mpt said:

Wow an article about 3 reasons why the Canucks will be tougher next year and then list 4 players JB signed or traded for.  Wow great reporting hockey news!  Must have been hard to write that article.

Except it's not three players that make the Canucks tougher, it's three reasons. 2 of the players listed are combined into one of the reasons. Makes me wonder if you even read the article...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mpt said:

Wow an article about 3 reasons why the Canucks will be tougher next year and then list 4 players JB signed or traded for.  Wow great reporting hockey news!  Must have been hard to write that article.

Supposedly Roussel played top 6 last year too..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SwaggyCanuckMZ said:

Just sharing my work. Thanks for the feedback though!

You wrote this?  It’s good.  I would prefer a title that said “Three Reasons Why the Canucks Will Be Harder to Play Against.”  Toughness is not measured by fighting or having the physical threat of violence.  Toughness in an internal strength that keeps players on pucks, and in battles even when physical violence is present.  The Twins were extremely tough players.  They battled through a lot of physical aggression.  However, they were not hard to play against.  

This season, we are going to be a lot harder to play against.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 6string said:

Imagine this team two years down the road with Podkolzin and Woo as well.....

And Tyramkin and Juolevi and Madden (not that the latter 2 are 'tough' but talented, and Madden is gritty), going to be some great Colorado / Canucks playoffs series coming. An old rivalry re-ignited, hopefully it will be our turn this time.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You wrote this?  It’s good.  I would prefer a title that said “Three Reasons Why the Canucks Will Be Harder to Play Against.”  Toughness is not measured by fighting or having the physical threat of violence.  Toughness in an internal strength that keeps players on pucks, and in battles even when physical violence is present.  The Twins were extremely tough players.  They battled through a lot of physical aggression.  However, they were not hard to play against.  

This season, we are going to be a lot harder to play against.  

I'd argue they were tough to play against, they sure tired out alot of dmen in their day, you couldn't get the puck off them, knock them off the puck in the corners. While they didn't impose themselves physicality on other players, they were still very tough to play against because it tires you out chasing and hitting to no effect.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We could be having MR. OLLI O. join the team and be that slick defense man who passes the puck to people at the right times ,that will make it a lot tougher on the opposition than just the physical play.

Bobby Orr never really went around popping people, but that dude could skate and pass the puck,that's why he is one of the greatest players of all time and more the style winning teams are made from,if you get what I'm saying.

A bona fide Norris Trophy candidate is what champion teams have, and what the Canucks need badly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I'd argue they were tough to play against, they sure tired out alot of dmen in their day, you couldn't get the puck off them, knock them off the puck in the corners. While they didn't impose themselves physicality on other players, they were still very tough to play against because it tires you out chasing and hitting to no effect.

Oh yes I agree.  The Twins would have been a pain to play against, when they had the puck.  Without the puck they would not be hard to play against.  Our team will be harder to play against this year, when we both have and don’t have the puck.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

We could be having MR. OLLI O. join the team and be that slick defense man who passes the puck to people at the right times ,that will make it a lot tougher on the opposition than just the physical play.

Bobby Orr never really went around popping people, but that dude could skate and pass the puck,that's why he is one of the greatest players of all time and more the style winning teams are made from,if you get what I'm saying.

A bona fide Norris Trophy candidate is what champion teams have, and what the Canucks need badly.

Quinn Hughes says "hi"

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...