The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No big deal.  His cap comes completely off the books (or stays off) and he goes to LTIR permanently.  

It is a big deal.  It doesn't harm us financially but hey let's have a little sympathy for what this guy is going through.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy nevermind one of our beloved Canucks.  We'll probably go out and get a rental now which will be OK for the hockey side of things but I still really feel for the guy.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, nux_win said:

It is a big deal.  It doesn't harm us financially but hey let's have a little sympathy for what this guy is going through.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy nevermind one of our beloved Canucks.  We'll probably go out and get a rental now which will be OK for the hockey side of things but I still really feel for the guy.  Go Canucks Go!

Furley’s contract is guaranteed and it’s huge money.  He will get the best of care from the best doctors.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Furley’s contract is guaranteed and it’s huge money.  He will get the best of care from the best doctors.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't trade money for health, especially when it comes to brain injuries.  I prefer a working brain to any amount of money.  With a working brain one can always earn more money but one can never buy back permanent damage.   I do hope he can find a full recovery but it looks pretty doubtful at this point.  Here's hoping...  Go Canucks Go!

4 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I don't know about you but I wouldn't trade money for health, especially when it comes to brain injuries.  I prefer a working brain to any amount of money.  With a working brain one can always earn more money but one can never buy back permanent damage.   I do hope he can find a full recovery but it looks pretty doubtful at this point.  Here's hoping...  Go Canucks Go!

It’s nit about us.  It’s about a super rich guy, who is going to get great care.  

I care way more about the cap savings for my team.  Furley on Robidas Island is not a bad thing.  We will soon forget all about him.  Do you remember Wayne Maki?  Do you remember why we were all so pissed Messier took number 11?  That’s the nature of sports.  Time marches on. 

Edited by Alflives

It's heartbreaking but, hopefully, Ferland's life has a happy ending and he can avoid major longterm health issues. There are more important things in life than sports and he should just call it quits now to ensure he can be the father and husband his family needs.

All the best, Ferly, you gave it all you had.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

It's heartbreaking but, hopefully, Ferland's life has a happy ending and he can avoid major longterm health issues. There are more important things in life than sports and he should just call it quits now to ensure he can be the father and husband his family needs.

All the best, Ferly, you gave it all you had.

Not a chance in hell Furley calls it quits.  He loses his contract if he does that.  He’s off to Robidas Island, where he will collect the rest of his contract.  Canucks get LTIR relief.  It’s a win ... win situation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

years ago Canucks had a defenseman named Willy Mitchell who has a severe concussion and he had symptoms for a long time, enough so that Gillis shut him down, Willy was furious and he went on to play for LA Kings winning a Stanley cup, and then on to the Florida Panthers.  I am sure the Organization has had great doctors for Ferland ,but concussions are a funny thing. only Ferland can really know how he feels. I hope he hangs up his skates and concentrates on himself and his family now.

IIRC there were not reports of Mitchell being furious. Gillis shut him down and referenced the concussions as a reason for not offering him a new contract. We signed Hamhuis and Mitchell went to LA.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not a chance in hell Furley calls it quits.  He loses his contract if he does that.  He’s off to Robidas Island, where he will collect the rest of his contract.  Canucks get LTIR relief.  It’s a win ... win situation.  

I didn't mean official retirement. Robidas Island is still a form of hanging them up.

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Willie got a concussion, so they shut him down for the year, he then was able to come back and play the next year... Which only helps my argument.

Willie was furious he was shut down?  No, that's fake news. 

I remember Willie's last interview day in Vancouver and how he was upset about Gillis  shutting him down, so no not fake news!!!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

He’s not coming back.  He’s done.  He collects his money, and lives happily ever after with his wife and new child. 

" lives happily ever after"

Does he live happily ever after, or does he wake up everyday with a headache that won't go away? Does he "forget" how a key opens a lock, like Matt Dunnigan?

Does he have trouble remembering things like picking up his kid after pre school? Does he turn violent and anger easily?

Brain injuries are serious things.

On a personal level I'd much rather have worked at 7-11 for minimum wage for my whole life than get a concussion at my higher paying job. I lost friends and alienated family because of my anger, headaches and withdrawing from life. Couldn't handle noise, spent 6 months living in a dark, quiet house.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

" lives happily ever after"

Does he live happily ever after, or does he wake up everyday with a headache that won't go away? Does he "forget" how a key opens a lock, like Matt Dunnigan?

Does he have trouble remembering things like picking up his kid after pre school? Does he turn violent and anger easily?

Brain injuries are serious things.

On a personal level I'd much rather have worked at 7-11 for minimum wage for my whole life than get a concussion at my higher paying job. I lost friends and alienated family because of my anger, headaches and withdrawing from life. Couldn't handle noise, spent 6 months living in a dark, quiet house.

We will forget about 

Furley just like we forgot about Maki.  It’s the nature of sports to move on.