The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

I hope whatever it is for his sake and his family he puts his health first.  I am a little concerned around the secrecy based on his past issues.  I hope it is nothing serious.  This pic was on his twitter site.

Image result for micheal ferland baby

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

In a recent interview JB states that Ferland's current injury is not concussion related. This is good news for our concerns about his durability moving forward with concussions. Hopefully it is something that he is able to fully recover from and play his game at the level he likes to as we make a playoff push. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-canucks-gm-benning-trade-deadline-playoff-race/

If it’s not concussion related, why all the secrecy?  

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I see no reason to disclose anymore information than needed. Upper body injury. Everyone just assumed it was a  conky.

Really good news it’s not concussion stuff.  Now he can come back and be the force we need.  He makes for a damned good TD acquisition 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB said the injury keeping Furley out is not concussion related.  Why not say what it is then?  Is it s broken hand?  

Because he doesn't have to. What purpose does it serve in the end? Does it help the team or Ferland to disclose it?

This is 100% speculation but I wonder if it’s more of a mental battle than a physical one. Seems strange to me that there hasn’t been much to report on about this injury and everyone has been so hush hush on the situation. Remember a few years back when Kassian had his “back injuries” but he was actually in the NHL substance abuse program. Ferland does have a history with alcohol. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

This is 100% speculation but I wonder if it’s more of a mental battle than a physical one. Seems strange to me that there hasn’t been much to report on about this injury and everyone has been so hush hush on the situation. Remember a few years back when Kassian had his “back injuries” but he was actually in the NHL substance abuse program. Ferland does have a history with alcohol. 

Certainly could be not a physical thing, and that’s why the serious hush hush from the club.  

• Wat 1

On 1/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, Steven Stamkos said:

It's quite possible.  It reminds me of the prolonged absences that Rick Rypien was taking near the end of this time with the Canucks, which (understandably) no one in management was willing to explain at the time.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, Alflives said:

If it’s not concussion related, why all the secrecy?  

It's very likely mental health related, which likely circles back to the concussions, but like the first rule of Fight Club..... you get the idea.

There was a brain damage expert on Joe Rogan's podcast a few years ago, who is an expert in hormone replacement therapy, and he's brought a ton of fighters from the brink back to normal stimulating the hormone regulating systems, which is a biofeedback system located in the brain (mostly).

Amazing stuff, and likely one of the reasons we haven't heard of it here, is because of the lockdown of data/info on head trauma in the NHL.

• Thanks 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/murphys-mailbag-whats-latest-micheal-ferland/

Dan Murphy has a blog called Murphy's mailbag

•  

There hasn’t been anything official from the club recently about his recovery. But he has been skating and my understanding is that the Canucks are going to send him to Utica on a conditioning stint as soon as he is 100 per cent ready. Obviously, this has been a very difficult first season in Vancouver for Ferland, who had been hoping to make a big impact for the Canucks after signing that four-year, $14-million contract in the summer.

But the concussion problems that dogged him for the second half of last season have re-surfaced and now he and the club must be so very careful that Ferland comes back only if and when he’s deemed healthy enough to play. And his status is even more important with the trade deadline approaching. Ferland was signed to play in the top-six with Vancouver and if he is unable to return and contribute then GM Jim Benning will no doubt be looking for someone to fill his shoes on deadline day.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/murphys-mailbag-whats-latest-micheal-ferland/

Dan Murphy has a blog called Murphy's mailbag

2 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Finally some good news:

The interesting thing to note is that when JB was interviewed in between periods of the Isles game today,.  Benning quoted the term “Rehab”..   and stated nothing about concussion issues, nor was a question asked of him to that regard.

We know that MF has been in the staged program for alcoholism that the NHL offers..  I wonder if this has been over lapping with the concussion concerns we know about.

Regardless,  it sounds like we might have a healthy Ferland back in a couple of weeks, could be a great source of energy down the stretch .

Good luck, Best Wishes and great health in all matters MF. 

• Cheers 1

I'm pretty excited to get Ferland for the stretch here. Adding him and Leivo to what's proven to be a very good young lineup is seemingly as good as anything we could hope to trade for come the deadline. 

Miller - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo

Ferland - Beagle - Sutter

Schaller

Motte

Eriksson 

This lineup is deep enough that there's a legit top six winger on the 4th line. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

I'm pretty excited to get Ferland for the stretch here. Adding him and Leivo to what's proven to be a very good young lineup is seemingly as good as anything we could hope to trade for come the deadline. 

Miller - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo

Ferland - Beagle - Sutter

Schaller

Motte

Eriksson 

This lineup is deep enough that there's a legit top six winger on the 4th line. 

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but right now I’d rather have Eriksson in the lineup than Leivo

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but right now I’d rather have Eriksson in the lineup than Leivo

You’ve been fooled by the rising stellar play of Horvat and Pearson.

i know we’ve had our differences drummerboy,.  but never thought you could be fooled.

:picard:

• Haha 1

Watching the game tonight really hit home the fact that we need more bigger bodies with an edge. 

I just kept on thinking how much a healthy Ferland would help level the playing field against bigger teams that use there size to intimidate and wear down our smaller more skilled players. 

Don't want Ferland to rush back and I think the canucks management have been very cautious and patient getting him right before stepping back on the ice.  But man it will be like a trade deadline acquisition.  A player that will be the perfect compliment to our current roster. 

Here's to hoping his stint in Utica goes well without setbacks and he comes up to the big club soon!

• Cheers 2